Big Games in Memphis

kwc

I actually had this typed and edited yesterday at the close of my day when ... poof! The website just disappeared from my computer screen, and all of my editing and work. Gone! I was mad enough to give a pre-game rant ... but I restrained myself and just waited for today (Wednesday) to retype it.

Oh well ...

Week 10 is upon us and I've selected ten games this week to be the BIG GAMES IN MEMPHIS. There are some other interesting match-ups such as MUS vs Briarcrest, that I did not select because those teams post season fates have already been established. Others, Like Southwind vs Overton have playoff implications, but I think the outcome is obvious in that one. The ten games that are selected to be considered Big Games in Memphis are listed as follows:

Big Games in Memphis

1) Arlington @ Millington

2) St. Benedict @ CBHS

3) Craigmont @ Bartlett

4) Whitehaven vs East @ Melrose

5) Fairley vs Sheffield @ Kirby

6) Wooddale @ Germantown

7) Hamilton vs Melrose @ Crump

8) Mitchell vs Hillcrest @ JPF

9) Dyer County @ Brighton

10) Ridgeway @ Collierville

Analysis:

Game 1

Arlington (8-1) @ Millington (8-1) is to see who is the top dog in District 14. Since both teams are 6A schools then the implications affecting post season seeding are gigantic. Currently, looking at the seeding scenerio at the TSSAA website, if the playoff seeding were to go into effect as of todays standings then Arlington would be a 2nd seed in Quad 4 and Millington would be the 4th seed. The significance of that you ask? I'll tell you ... It means that Arlington would have the availability to HOST the first two rounds of games. Millington would have to travel after it hosts it's first game. THAT is what's at stake! There are other factors that will effect the seeding in Quad 4 in 6A, like the outcome of the Whitehaven/East game as well as the outcome of the Dyer Co./Brighton game; but those are outside influences ... Arlignton and Millington control their own fate. If Whitehaven and Brighton both lose ... then the winner of this game could be the #1 seed in Quad 4 in 6A. Who do I think will win? Well ... I haven't seen either play. I've seen some clips of each. But I've been tracking these teams all year and it is my opinion that Arlington is a slightly better team overall. First, I think the level of competition that Arlington has faced is better then the level of competition that Millington has faced. That makes a difference in my book. Second, I think Arlington's defense is really solid and their offense is balanced with a 60/40 edge of passing to runnning. Millington, on the other hand, has a good defense with a good but one-dimensional Wing-T offense. I'm leaning towards Arlington.

Arlington ... 35, Millington ... 21

Game 2

St. Benedict (6-2) @ CBHS (7-2) is to see who will have the 2nd seed and the 3rd seed respectively in D-2AA West. I don't really have to go through a lot of analysis with this game. I just think CBHS is better.

St. Benedict ... 14, CBHS ... 31

Game 3

Craigmont (5-4) @ Bartlett (4-5) is a game between two area 5A teams that could have some seeding implications. Right now, Munford (4-5) has squeeked into the post season. Munford plays Westwood as their final game. If Bartlett wins and Munford loses, they will become 5-5 and Munford becomes 4-6 and I think it may push them over the hump to surpass Munford. However, a Craigmont victory assures that Bartlett stays home and Munford is in regardless of the Munford/Westwood outcome. I'm leaning towards Craigmont in this one.

Craigmont ... 42, Bartlett ... 21

Game 4

Whitehaven (9-0) vs East (7-2) is being played at Melrose. That's actually a neutral site even though East will be considered the home team. The winner is the top dog in District 16. Since East is 5A and Whitehaven is 6A, the outcome will have affects on playoff seeding indirectly. Whitehaven is guaranteed the top seed in Quad 4 in 6A with a victory. East is currently listed as the 3rd seed in Quad 4 in 5A. A victory over Whitehaven will probably lift them to the 2nd seed in Quad 4 in 5A surpassing Dyer County ... especially if Dyer County loses to Brighton. There are a lot of things that can happen in Quad 4 in 5A depending on how East, Dyer County, and Ridgeway all do this Friday night. However, I think Whitehaven wins this game in dominating fashion.

Whitehaven ... 42, East ... 14

Game 5

Fairley (7-2) vs Sheffield (5-4) @ Kirby is a 4A game that has quite a bit of significance. Right now Sheffield is on the outside looking in. Fairley is currently the 2nd seed in Quad 4 in 4A behind Obion County ... who has to play a very good Dyersburg team this Friday. A Fairley victory with an Obion County loss and a Mitchell loss would put Fairley in the top seed in Quad 4 in 4A. Sheffield can't get in with a victory and a Hillcrest loss to Mitchell, they are shut out of the playoffs. I think Fairley rolls in this one.

Fairley ... 35, Sheffield ... 21

Game 6

Wooddale (5-4) @ Germantown (5-4) is for playoff seeding in Quad 4 in 6A. Frankly, the playoff scenerio at the TSSAA website is too long to go into. I'm pretty sure Germantown gets in regardless but I'm not certain about Wooddale. I can't see Collierville or anybody else sneaking in, but you never know. I think the team with the ball last will win. This is an eenie-meenie-miney-moe pick for me. I'm going with Germantown because they have homefield advantage.

Wooddale ... 21, Germantown ... 24

Game 7

Hamilton (5-4) vs Melrose (2-7) @ Crump is a big game only because this will be Hamilton's first chance at a post season in over a decade. Recent history had Melrose dominating this game. This year Hamilton will win and play a game in the playoffs.

Hamilton ... 28, Melrose ... 7

Game 8

Mitchell (6-3) vs Hillcrest (5-4) @ John P. Freeman is a 4A game that has some pretty significant playoff implications. A Mitchell victory makes them the top seed in District 16 in 4A surpassing Fairley. Anything could happen in Quad 4 in 4A. I think Mitchell wins.

Mitchell ... 31, Hillcrest ... 20

Game 9

Dyer County (8-1) @ Brighton (8-1) is going to affect Quad 4 in both 5A and 6A. In District 13, the winner is the top seed and the loser is the second seed. That will have a significant impact on Quad seeding. It isn't all clear ... but the winner helps their cause tremendously. I think Brighton will win a close, high scoring game.

Brighton ... 42, Dyer County ... 35

Game 10

Ridgeway (6-3) @ Collierville (4-5) is another District 15 game pitting a 5A team against a 6A team. This game could be interesting. Considering the situation currently at Collierville. Do the players ralley and play over their head for their recently resigned coach and beat Ridgeway or do they implode and Ridgeway wins in a route? Ridgeway needs this win to improve their post season seeding in Quad 4 in the 5A post season. I don't think Collierville has a chance honsetly.

Ridgeway ... 42, Collierville ... 21

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well ... that's it for me. You guys know what to do!

Edited by kwc

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arlington 31 @ Millington 20

St. Benedict 14 @ CBHS 28

Craigmont 34 @ Bartlett 20

Whitehaven 34 vs East 7 @ Melrose

Fairley 20 vs Sheffield 13 @ Kirby

Wooddale 27 @ Germantown 17

Hamilton 20 vs Melrose 6 @ Crump

Mitchell 27 vs Hillcrest 7 @ JPF

Dyer County 31 @ Brighton 38

Ridgeway 41 @ Collierville 13

Big Games in Memphis

2) St. Benedict @ CBHS

3) Craigmont @ Bartlett

6) Wooddale @ Germantown

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arlington vs. Millington is for all the marbles for the District 14 AAA Crown. Can the Tony Franklin New Aged Offense triumph the OLD-SCHOOL wing-t of Millington. Will Arlington's DEFESE be up to the task of tackling the 215 lbs Roland Genesy ALL NIGHT LONG. :x

I don't know but I do think if Arlington can get a 17 point lead over Millington it will be curtains for the Trojans, however that's easier said than done with the type of Ball Control Offense that the Trojans play. It should be a great match up but I see it being...

Arlington 27- Millington 21

St. Benedict will put up a good fight at CBHS but I see

St. Benedict 24- CBHS 38

Craigmont can Score with the best of them, Ask East...

Craigmont 40 - Bartlett 7

Whitehaven vs. East is for the 16 AAA District Crown and you KNOW who I'm picking, BUT I want to lay a "not so fast my friend" a la Lee Corso out there to the people who are calling for the Blow out of EAST! Mind you, if it happens I'll be happy, but all season LONG I have been saying that East will be Whitehaven's TOUGHEST game in the West Tenn Area! I foresee Kimbrow and Redmond playing out of their minds! (they are both SEC commits) In addition, East has pretty good size on the front lines so they won't be bullied; this game will really put us to the test. I think the game will be too close for comfort but Whitehaven will win it in the end. Game will be on [u]CSS Televison [/u]btw :D

Fairley vs. Sheffield comes down to if lil Marcus Holiday is ready to put his team on his back and take them to the playoffs. I think he is...

Fairley 35 - Sheffield 16

Wooddale vs. G-Town, there not much to say here but one team has their STUD RB and one team doesn't! I'm rolling with the team that has their Stud RB. Javon Robinson goes HAM and Wooddale wins at G-Town...

Wooddale 27 - G-Town 17

Hamilton hasn't been a FAVORITE over Melrose since the Early 90s! I can't believe I'm going to do this but I'm rolling with Hamilton...

Hamilton 22 - Melrose 20

Mitchell's starting QB Terrence Ayers was injured last week vs. Whitehaven. If he's out for this game I hope lil Nate Cole plays QB for them because Hilcrest is a top 3 defense in the Area. With that being said...

Mitchell 18 - Hilcrest 12

Dyer Co. vs Brighton will be come down to... I don't know enough about Dyer Co. to know, but I do know Brighton can throw the football with QB Brady Stewart and I'll give them the nod on that alone...

Dyer Co. 24 - Brighton 42

Ridgeway vs. Collierville comes as a STROM is going on around the Collierville program. Simply put, Collierville's players as well as some of the parents may have wanted to get rid of Coach Abel, but they did it in such a way that the FOOTBALL GODS (yes, I believe in the FOOTBALL GODS) will bring vengence upon them in the form of the Almighty Dawson and Walton...

Ridgeway 51 - Collierville 17

-----------------------------------------------

I plan on goin out of town this weekend so I won't be able to catch the Whitehaven game live and in living color but I will be somewhere in Clarksville GLUED to the CSS channel on some poor unsuspecting woman's TV set :popcorneater::thumb:

RESPECT DA HAVEN

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

I normally do not pick the Millington game but something tells me I should this week. Thanks Senator for showing us a little love even some to 36. I think you hit the nail on the head as far as him being huge in this game. Trojans 28 Arlington 24 in a good one.Now to the others.

Craigmont over Bartlett

CBHS over St. Benedict

Whitehaven over East

Fairley over Sheffield

Wooddale over G Town

Hamilton over Melrose

Mitchell over Hillcrest

Dyer County Brighton will be real close but Brighton wins

Ridgeway big over Collierville

1) Arlington @ Millington--Millington

2) St. Benedict @ CBHS-- CBHS

3) Craigmont @ Bartlett-- Craigmont

4) Whitehaven vs East @ Melrose--Whitehaven

5) Fairley vs Sheffield @ Kirby--Fairley

6) Wooddale @ Germantown-- G-Town

7) Hamilton vs Melrose @ Crump--Hamilton

8) Mitchell vs Hillcrest @ JPF--Mitchell

9) Dyer County @ Brighton-- Dyer Co

10) Ridgeway @ Collierville --Collierville

I actually had this typed and edited yesterday at the close of my day when ... poof! The website just disappeared from my computer screen, and all of my editing and work. Gone! I was mad enough to give a pre-game rant ... but I restrained myself and just waited for today (Wednesday) to retype it.

Oh well ...

Week 10 is upon us and I've selected ten games this week to be the BIG GAMES IN MEMPHIS. There are some other interesting match-ups such as MUS vs Briarcrest, that I did not select because those teams post season fates have already been established. Others, Like Southwind vs Overton have playoff implications, but I think the outcome is obvious in that one. The ten games that are selected to be considered Big Games in Memphis are listed as follows:

Big Games in Memphis

2) St. Benedict @ CBHS

3) Craigmont @ Bartlett

6) Wooddale @ Germantown

Analysis:

Game 1

Arlington (8-1) @ Millington (8-1) is to see who is the top dog in District 14. Since both teams are 6A schools then the implications affecting post season seeding are gigantic. Currently, looking at the seeding scenerio at the TSSAA website, if the playoff seeding were to go into effect as of todays standings then Arlington would be a 2nd seed in Quad 4 and Millington would be the 4th seed. The significance of that you ask? I'll tell you ... It means that Arlington would have the availability to HOST the first two rounds of games. Millington would have to travel after it hosts it's first game. THAT is what's at stake! There are other factors that will effect the seeding in Quad 4 in 6A, like the outcome of the Whitehaven/East game as well as the outcome of the Dyer Co./Brighton game; but those are outside influences ... Arlignton and Millington control their own fate. If Whitehaven and Brighton both lose ... then the winner of this game could be the #1 seed in Quad 4 in 6A. Who do I think will win? Well ... I haven't seen either play. I've seen some clips of each. But I've been tracking these teams all year and it is my opinion that Arlington is a slightly better team overall. First, I think the level of competition that Arlington has faced is better then the level of competition that Millington has faced. That makes a difference in my book. Second, I think Arlington's defense is really solid and their offense is balanced with a 60/40 edge of passing to runnning. Millington, on the other hand, has a good defense with a good but one-dimensional Wing-T offense. I'm leaning towards Arlington.

Arlington ... 35, Millington ... 21

Game 2

St. Benedict (6-2) @ CBHS (7-2) is to see who will have the 2nd seed and the 3rd seed respectively in D-2AA West. I don't really have to go through a lot of analysis with this game. I just think CBHS is better.

St. Benedict ... 14, CBHS ... 31

Game 3

Craigmont (5-4) @ Bartlett (4-5) is a game between two area 5A teams that could have some seeding implications. Right now, Munford (4-5) has squeeked into the post season. Munford plays Westwood as their final game. If Bartlett wins and Munford loses, they will become 5-5 and Munford becomes 4-6 and I think it may push them over the hump to surpass Munford. However, a Craigmont victory assures that Bartlett stays home and Munford is in regardless of the Munford/Westwood outcome. I'm leaning towards Craigmont in this one.

Craigmont ... 42, Bartlett ... 21

Game 4

Whitehaven (9-0) vs East (7-2) is being played at Melrose. That's actually a neutral site even though East will be considered the home team. The winner is the top dog in District 16. Since East is 5A and Whitehaven is 6A, the outcome will have affects on playoff seeding indirectly. Whitehaven is guaranteed the top seed in Quad 4 in 6A with a victory. East is currently listed as the 3rd seed in Quad 4 in 5A. A victory over Whitehaven will probably lift them to the 2nd seed in Quad 4 in 5A surpassing Dyer County ... especially if Dyer County loses to Brighton. There are a lot of things that can happen in Quad 4 in 5A depending on how East, Dyer County, and Ridgeway all do this Friday night. However, I think Whitehaven wins this game in dominating fashion.

Whitehaven ... 42, East ... 14

Game 5

Fairley (7-2) vs Sheffield (5-4) @ Kirby is a 4A game that has quite a bit of significance. Right now Sheffield is on the outside looking in. Fairley is currently the 2nd seed in Quad 4 in 4A behind Obion County ... who has to play a very good Dyersburg team this Friday. A Fairley victory with an Obion County loss and a Mitchell loss would put Fairley in the top seed in Quad 4 in 4A. Sheffield can't get in with a victory and a Hillcrest loss to Mitchell, they are shut out of the playoffs. I think Fairley rolls in this one.

Fairley ... 35, Sheffield ... 21

Game 6

Wooddale (5-4) @ Germantown (5-4) is for playoff seeding in Quad 4 in 6A. Frankly, the playoff scenerio at the TSSAA website is too long to go into. I'm pretty sure Germantown gets in regardless but I'm not certain about Wooddale. I can't see Collierville or anybody else sneaking in, but you never know. I think the team with the ball last will win. This is an eenie-meenie-miney-moe pick for me. I'm going with Germantown because they have homefield advantage.

Wooddale ... 21, Germantown ... 24

Game 7

Hamilton (5-4) vs Melrose (2-7) @ Crump is a big game only because this will be Hamilton's first chance at a post season in over a decade. Recent history had Melrose dominating this game. This year Hamilton will win and play a game in the playoffs.

Hamilton ... 28, Melrose ... 7

Game 8

Mitchell (6-3) vs Hillcrest (5-4) @ John P. Freeman is a 4A game that has some pretty significant playoff implications. A Mitchell victory makes them the top seed in District 16 in 4A surpassing Fairley. Anything could happen in Quad 4 in 4A. I think Mitchell wins.

Mitchell ... 31, Hillcrest ... 20

Game 9

Dyer County (8-1) @ Brighton (8-1) is going to affect Quad 4 in both 5A and 6A. In District 13, the winner is the top seed and the loser is the second seed. that will have signifivant impact on Quad seeding. It isn't all clear ... but the winner helps their cause tremendously. I think Brighton will win a close, high scoring game.

Brighton ... 42, Dyer County ... 35

Game 10

Ridgeway (6-3) @ Collierville (4-5) is another District 15 game pitting a 5A team against a 6A team. This game could be interesting. Considering the situation currently at Collierville. Do the players ralley and play over their head for their recently resigned coach and beat Ridgeway or do they implode and Ridgeway wins in a route? Ridgeway needs this win to improve their post season seeding in Quad 4 in the 5A post season. I don't think Collierville has a chance honsetly.

Ridgeway ... 42, Collierville ... 21

Millington over Arlington: This should be the Classic High School rivalry game the we all love. Especially if you have a kid in the game. It dont get no better than this one. If Millington happens to hold their passing game (which they have improved on), I think it will be a long night for Arlington. It is hard enough to try to key on one RB much less two or three RB's which the Trojans have that are threats. Will definitely be an exciting game!

CBHS over St. Benny

Craigmont over Bartlett: Should be an easy win

Whitehaven over East: Ditto

Fairley over Sheffield

Wooddale over Germantown: Will be a good game

Hamilton over Melrose

Mitchell over Hillcrest

Brighton over Dyer County: Could be a close one

Ridgeway over Collierville

2) St. Benedict @ CBHS

3) Craigmont @ Bartlett

6) Wooddale @ Germantown

Arlington 28 Millington 31

St. Benedict 7 CBHS 21

Craigmont 42 Bartlett 14

Whitehaven East Whitehaven's defense has only given up 51 pts all year. Just Saying.

Fairley 20 Sheffield 7

Wooddale 27 Germantown 28

Hamilton 14 Melrose 6

Hillcrest 14 Mitchell 28

Dyer Co 21 Brighton 35

Ridgeway 56 Collierville 7

Big Games in Memphis

2) St. Benedict @ CBHS

3) Craigmont @ Bartlett

6) Wooddale @ Germantown

Arl 24 -- Mil 14 ................ Arlington pulls away, late.

CBHS 24 --- St.B 17 ................. My gut says CBHS.

Bar 28 -- CG 22 .................... 2 games in 5 days will hurt Craigmont.

WH 41 -- East 14 ............. A tired East team will get blown out!

SH 28 -- Fair 22 .................... Sheffield in a close one.

Ger 24 -- WD 22 ..................... Kicking game will decide this one.

Ham 30 -- Mel 12 ............. Melrose's football program has sunk to new lows!

Mit 14 -- HC 12 ..................... tossup!

Bri 27 -- DC 21 ..................... Home team prevails...eventually.

RW 40 -- Cv 20 ...................... A distracted C'ville team simply will not be able to keep pace.

Edited by TraderB

1) Arlington-24 @ Millington-28...I see Millington's running game limiting Arlington's time of possession. That should be enough for a close win.

2) St. Benedict-24 @ CBHS-31...St. Benedict could win this one, though.

3) Craigmont-34 @ Bartlett-20

4) Whitehaven-50 vs East-19 @ Melrose...aside from a big play or two from East, and maybe a mistake or two from Whitehaven, this will be an easy Tiger's win.

5) Fairley-20 vs Sheffield-14 @ Kirby...the better band wins.

6) Wooddale-22 @ Germantown-28...G-town is scrappy enough to win and Wooddale is bad enough to lose. Even without Lowe, Wooddale may not be disciplined enough on defense to stop Germantown's triple-option. Plus, I do not think Wooddale has the type of team speed that would give Germantown major problems.

7) Hamilton-20 vs Melrose-13 @ Crump...This year is primarily the culmination of the Hubbard years at Melrose. Melrose no longer has a program.

8) Mitchell-18 vs Hillcrest-26 @ JPF

9) Dyer County-20 @ Brighton-34

10) Ridgeway-32 @ Collierville-17...Speed kills! Speed really kills slow teams!