10AA Basketball

coachrus

Haven't been to that many CPA games this year - about 4 and watched 2 on the web, including DL. Can't see DL or Maplewood beating CPA at home, so CPA should go undefeated in District. Trying to be impartial and level headed about CPA, but I really feel they are getting better each week. Who would have thought they would not have been hurt much with the loss of Richard to injury, after the year he had last year? They have 11-12 players that would start for most good teams in the state. Their zone press is really effective and they have the depth to go at it 100% the whole game. Unlike a man press, they rarely get in bad foul trouble despite the pressure they put on. Most fouls they commit are in the lane, not on the press. Alsmiller (over 80 3's already)and Bradshaw extend the defenders so much it is hard to defend them.

EL could give them trouble in District and MC in Region, but I believe Region is their's to lose.

Haven't been to that many CPA games this year - about 4 and watched 2 on the web, including DL. Can't see DL or Maplewood beating CPA at home, so CPA should go undefeated in District. Trying to be impartial and level headed about CPA, but I really feel they are getting better each week. Who would have thought they would not have been hurt much with the loss of Richard to injury, after the year he had last year? They have 11-12 players that would start for most good teams in the state. Their zone press is really effective and they have the depth to go at it 100% the whole game. Unlike a man press, they rarely get in bad foul trouble despite the pressure they put on. Most fouls they commit are in the lane, not on the press. Alsmiller (over 80 3's already)and Bradshaw extend the defenders so much it is hard to defend them.

EL could give them trouble in District and MC in Region, but I believe Region is their's to lose.

When CPA is "on" they are really, really good. Beating the #2 team in Ky (Louisville Ballard) by 20+ for example. They have so many weapons that in their half court offense when they pass the ball they are very difficult to defend. They can jump on a team quickly and before you know it, they have gone on a 10-0 run.

Where they have struggled are the times when their offense tries to rely on dribbling in the half court offense. I know this sounds "basic", and that there is probably a more sofisticated coaching reason to go to the dribble first offense, but it is over my pay grade. :rolleyes:

When CPA is "on" they are really, really good. Beating the #2 team in Ky (Louisville Ballard) by 20+ for example. They have so many weapons that in their half court offense when they pass the ball they are very difficult to defend. They can jump on a team quickly and before you know it, they have gone on a 10-0 run.

Where they have struggled are the times when their offense tries to rely on dribbling in the half court offense. I know this sounds "basic", and that there is probably a more sofisticated coaching reason to go to the dribble first offense, but it is over my pay grade. :rolleyes:

I agree. I noticed that Wharton didn't start against Whites Creek and wondered if he had been sat because he had so many turnovers in the EL game by trying dribbling and trying to do too much on his own. Don't know, but wondered.

District 10-AA Standings

1.) CPA (12-0)

2.) East Literature (10-3)

3.) David Lipscomb (9-4)

4.) Maplewood (8-5)

5.) Pearl-Cohn (7-6)

6.) MLK (5-9)

7.) Stratford (3-9)

8.) Hume Fogg (2-11): tie

8.) Whites Creek (2-11): tie

Tonight

CPA-Maplewood

David Lipscomb-MLK

Stratford-Whites Creek

East Literature-Hume Fogg

Pearl-Cohn (BYE)

Tomorrow

CPA at Pearl-Cohn @ 4PM

District 10-AA Standings

1.) CPA (12-0)

2.) East Literature (10-3)

3.) David Lipscomb (9-4)

4.) Maplewood (8-5)

5.) Pearl-Cohn (7-6)

6.) MLK (5-9)

7.) Stratford (3-9)

8.) Hume Fogg (2-11): tie

8.) Whites Creek (2-11): tie

Tonight

CPA-Maplewood

David Lipscomb-MLK

Stratford-Whites Creek

East Literature-Hume Fogg

Pearl-Cohn (BYE)

Tomorrow

CPA at Pearl-Cohn @ 4PM

Biggest surprise so far is Lipscomb ahead of Maplewood and that they beat Maplewood twice. Looks like Lipscomb has a solid lock on at least 3rd place seeding. I really enjoy watching Lipscomb's Tanner Johnson play, but am not too wild about some of the "flopping" on defense by the guards. But kudos to Lipscomb for their success so far.

Biggest surprise so far is Lipscomb ahead of Maplewood and that they beat Maplewood twice. Looks like Lipscomb has a solid lock on at least 3rd place seeding. I really enjoy watching Lipscomb's Tanner Johnson play... But kudos to Lipscomb for their success so far.

Agree which IMO makes Pickens coach of the year. (Correct me if I am wrong), but my understanding is they took it out of the coaches hands (last year, maybe the year before) to vote for the deserving peer and decided coach of the year would be the coach whose team won the district. I also believe this type of approach has happened with how all-district team, all-tournament team and MVP selections where certain number of players come from certain teams (1st place team gets so many spots, etc.), coaches dictate who end up making it outside of a pure vote and possibly even MVP has to come from team who won the district. I know why some coaches like this approach, but it has its limitations.

Agree which IMO makes Pickens coach of the year. (Correct me if I am wrong), but my understanding is they took it out of the coaches hands (last year, maybe the year before) to vote for the deserving peer and decided coach of the year would be the coach whose team won the district. I also believe this type of approach has happened with how all-district team, all-tournament team and MVP selections where certain number of players come from certain teams (1st place team gets so many spots, etc.), coaches dictate who end up making it outside of a pure vote and possibly even MVP has to come from team who won the district. I know why some coaches like this approach, but it has its limitations.

There is still a lot of basketball to be played, so I think it is too early to make any determination at this point. I am not sure how the official determination is made, but how a team performs versus expectations would only be one of the factors I would use if the decision were up to me.

There is still a lot of basketball to be played, so I think it is too early to make any determination at this point. I am not sure how the official determination is made, but how a team performs versus expectations would only be one of the factors I would use if the decision were up to me.

Lots of basketball still to be played, but meeting will happen prior to district tournament almost always before last regular season games are played. Another limitation with the voting. (I need to remember what the average fan is not aware of and does not know. :thumb: )

...Who would have thought they would not have been hurt much with the loss of Richard to injury, after the year he had last year? They have 11-12 players that would start for most good teams in the state...

Not all that surprising with Wharton moving in and having a healthy Cook back this year. Currently, without Richard and Blackwell not playing, looks like they are about 8 deep with Johnson being the 9th man, but I don't know how many quality minutes he plays in a tight game (if there is such a thing). But they still have more than plenty for HS basketball. They can put a team on the floor that is bigger and stronger at every position. No one has the size and strength of either Lindsey or Howell on the interior nor with Bradshaw or Allsmiller on the perimeter. No one can match their overall athleticism and skill and no one has proved they can even guard them. They penetrate either with dribble or pass and find the open man at will possession after possession. What surprises me is how small the district has been over the last few years. Outside of CPA where are the quality big men? Any even in the region or state at 2A? If not, CPA has to be the favorite. Any other team have at least 2 DI prospects and I am not talking low D1. If not, CPA has to be the favorite.

Not all that surprising with Wharton moving in and having a healthy Cook back this year. Currently, without Richard and Blackwell not playing, looks like they are about 8 deep with Johnson being the 9th man, but I don't know how many quality minutes he plays in a tight game (if there is such a thing). But they still have more than plenty for HS basketball. They can put a team on the floor that is bigger and stronger at every position. No one has the size and strength of either Lindsey or Howell on the interior nor with Bradshaw or Allsmiller on the perimeter. No one can match their overall athleticism and skill and no one has proved they can even guard them. They penetrate either with dribble or pass and find the open man at will possession after possession. What surprises me is how small the district has been over the last few years. Outside of CPA where are the quality big men? Any even in the region or state at 2A? If not, CPA has to be the favorite. Any other team have at least 2 DI prospects and I am not talking low D1. If not, CPA has to be the favorite.

Howell was smoking tonite, led all scorers with 22 pts in the paint.