10AA Basketball

coachrus

The CPA Administration does not nor does any other school administration have any control of this forum or any other blogs that want to spread rumors, use misleading information or assume they know facts when they haven't been privy to any of it. Your statement "and it is even worse when the claims are falsely stated to be in the "best interest" of the student", is made without knowledge. What facts or quotes to do have to say that statement was made by CPA administration?

Honestly, I don't think the CPA Administration, or any public or private school administration spend time reading posts from fans that don't know all of the facts. They went to the source, which was the TSSAA and got a ruling, which now appears to be incorrect. Case Closed. Forfeit wins or not, tournament time is what counts.

I think this situation has finally addressed an issue. CPA didn't do anything wrong from what I understand, however the "K-12" rule should be tweaked by the TSSAA. K-12 rule states that 8th graders can play varsity at schools that have K-12th grades in the same building. This is a great, but silent, recruiting tool that CPA has been clever to exploit. For example, when Lindsey is a senior, he will be playing his fifth year of varsity basketball. If they can continue to attract (or identify.. ?) young talent, the East Lits of the world won't have a prayer of winning Class AA or the other 96% of schools that don't have this luxury. I'm not saying CPA isn't playing by the rules. But, this will get out of control if the TSSAA doesn't do something to make things more balanced. Getting a kid from Greenbriar, Murfreesboro and getting a kid to repeat 8th grade at CPA after completing 8th grade at MBA screams CPA should probably be in Division II. MBA's weighted scale, regardless of the kids grade, speaks for itself. He should never played this year on that fact alone. Congrats to CPA for finding a way to make a basketball prep school in Tennessee. The football program is poised to follow the script.

I would have no problem if they made a rule that high schoolers get 4 years of HS eligibility.

The CPA Administration does not nor does any other school administration have any control of this forum or any other blogs that want to spread rumors, use misleading information or assume they know facts when they haven't been privy to any of it. Your statement "and it is even worse when the claims are falsely stated to be in the "best interest" of the student", is made without knowledge. What facts or quotes to do have to say that statement was made by CPA administration?

I think you misunderstood my post. I do not presume to know what CPA administration thinks or says, if my post came across that way I apologize. I was saying that it must be frustrating to have the school name defamed because of questions surrounding the methods used to procure some student athletes. It is a discussion that happens well outside these boards, walk into any 10AA gym on a Friday night and you are likely to hear it. So be careful not to shoot the messenger here. As far as decisions being made in the "best interest of the student", I am referring to arguments made by CPA fans on these boards and other venues. For example I had a CPA supporter tell me that the decision to ask for eligibility of the 8th grader in question was in his best interest. I do not understand that logic as it would seem to me that if he is repeating 8th grade it is probably in his best interest to forgo basketball and focus on his studies and prepare himself for the rigors of high school. I never said that this is a direct quote from a CPA Administrator. I know several administrators at CPA and they are excellent and thoughtful leaders, I also have said on these boards and I will say again that the young men and women in the CPA halls are consistently among the most respectful and intelligent students I have met. My criticism of CPA (and other private schools) on these boards is singularly focused on the emphasis on athletics and winning over equality and sportsmanship, this area is outside the control of the students (mostly), and largely in the hands of the administrators and parents who enable it. The feeling that CPA is operating in the grey areas of the rules has been stated by posters much more intelligent than I, and incidents like this last one do nothing to alleviate these opinions.

Again, I have no facts (as none of us really do yet), but I can see how the above can happen:

The Rule and the School - Maybe(?) CPA asked the TSSAA to clarify whether he would be eligible Jan. 1 (as with some transfers) or not at all for the school year. Maybe they felt the rule wasn't clear, or they wanted to be certain. There is nothing wrong with asking the rule makers to clarify a rule. That's better than sitting him for the whole year, and find out later he didn't have to.

The Ruler - If they made a mistake, they are human. It shouldn't have happened but if it did they have no choice but to change the ruling, and CPA has no choice but to abide. It is a tough deal for the kid, especially if the family's decision on school choice was partially based on the erroneous ruling. As far as the 6 games he played, the 4 district games outcome wouldn't have changed, and CPA should not be penalized if it was a TSSAA error.

It's a bit like you choosing to contact the IRS about a "gray area" deduction, rather than trying to totally comprehend the IRS laws. You assume what they tell you is right, and you proceed accordingly.

Generally speaking, I don’t disagree, your points are valid. Certain rules are not very clear and need explanation. And though I realize there are those who automatically get defensive with questions, at this time and in this case the question I pose is not a criticism of CPA. Not saying they or any school should be punished for strictly a TSSAA mistake. But when eligibility is a key issue for any coach or athletic department to understand, especially in the case of transfers, it is perplexing in the case of this particular rule, “Eighth Grade Participation - … Any student repeating the eighth grade shall not be eligible for high school participation during the year that the student is repeating the eighth grade.†Hard to understand how that is gray or even confusing, so it begs a question for both school and TSSAA. And a school does play a key role in certifying their athletes.

And whether or not it affects the outcome of the game is never the issue in eligibility cases and should not be part of the argument. Besides, it is hard to measure how an outcome of a game is affected since related to more than how many points are scored or other stats. Presence alone from good players can play a role. And it was a close game at Maplewood.

You use the phrase "guess it just all worked out" three times while at the same time claiming you know the facts. So you are guessing - you do not know. That is not consistent. What you are doing is looking at results of situations, and making assumptions about the facts that created those results.

Its like someone commenting on a friend's divorce and assuming the spouse they didn't like was obviously at fault. You can't look at results and make up the reasons for them. I don't know the facts, but they are coming, so I suggest we all just let things play out before stones are thrown.

Like i said in my first post. Another stain on an already tarnished CPA testimony. And by the way...everything I posted about students A,B and C were FACTS! So lets review:

Student A at CPA enrolls at another independent school(which gives financial aid)at the end of 8th grade due to financial reasons, ends up staying at CPA along with student A's brother as well. FACT!

Student B leaves independent school while on financial aid and enrolls in CPA which gives

no financial aid.FACT!

Student C leaves independent school because of academics and enrolls at CPA and repeats 8th grade and ends up playing varsity athletics when rules clearly state any student repeating 8th grade is ineligible to participate in varsity athletics the year they repeat 8th grade. FACT!

Like i said in my first post. Another stain on an already tarnished CPA testimony. And by the way...everything I posted about students A,B and C were FACTS! So lets review:

Student A at CPA enrolls at another independent school(which gives financial aid)at the end of 8th grade due to financial reasons, ends up staying at CPA along with student A's brother as well. FACT!

Student B leaves independent school while on financial aid and enrolls in CPA which gives

no financial aid.FACT!

Student C leaves independent school because of academics and enrolls at CPA and repeats 8th grade and ends up playing varsity athletics when rules clearly state any student repeating 8th grade is ineligible to participate in varsity athletics the year they repeat 8th grade. FACT!

Your dislike for CPA is clouding your ability to read and respond reasonably. i never questioned your FACTS; I stated that those facts do not prove any impropriety. Once again, you are looking at facts that may be results of proper actions and making assumptions (not facts) about what transpired that created those results. Look at it this way. If a D student (fact) transferred to CPA and started making A's (fact), using your argument there had to be cheating involved (not fact), because you have a prejudice against CPA. Maybe there was cheating but maybe the grades improved honestly.

All I am saying is that your facts do not prove impropriety, and the proof has not been presented. They tell what happened, not why, and you are guessing at the why.

Your dislike for CPA is clouding your ability to read and respond reasonably. i never questioned your FACTS; I stated that those facts do not prove any impropriety. Once again, you are looking at facts that may be results of proper actions and making assumptions (not facts) about what transpired that created those results. Look at it this way. If a D student (fact) transferred to CPA and started making A's (fact), using your argument there had to be cheating involved (not fact), because you have a prejudice against CPA. Maybe there was cheating but maybe the grades improved honestly.

All I am saying is that your facts do not prove impropriety, and the proof has not been presented. They tell what happened, not why, and you are guessing at the why.

Once again your blind support of cpa has clouded your ability to read and respond to your own posts. My original post said cpa image and testimony are tarnished(which they are) and you responded saying there are no facts. The FACTS are there. And its the FACTS that have tarnished cpa.

Once again your blind support of cpa has clouded your ability to read and respond to your own posts. My original post said cpa image and testimony are tarnished(which they are) and you responded saying there are no facts. The FACTS are there. And its the FACTS that have tarnished cpa.

Sorry, but your reasoning is flawed. The facts have not tarnished CPA. People like you who make assumptions about the facts tarnish CPA. I can claim you did something and tarnish your reputation (that is called slander in our society), but that doesn't mean you did it and it is factual. You continue to make assumptions about the history behind things that have occurred, but you do not know the facts about what has occurred.

Again, I do not know all background behind the facts, and neither do you.

I might add a fact to this discussion: you have participated in 12 threads as a CoachT member and 9 of the 12 (and almost all of your posts) have been about CPA where you have questioned their integrity. That FACT tells everyone you have a personal vendetta (for some reason) against CPA and that is the primary reason you post on CoachT. I think that is sad, but, hey, its a free world.

I might add a fact to this discussion: you have participated in 12 threads as a CoachT member and 9 of the 12 (and almost all of your posts) have been about CPA where you have questioned their integrity. That FACT tells everyone you have a personal vendetta (for some reason) against CPA and that is the primary reason you post on CoachT. I think that is sad, but, hey, its a free world.

Try as you may to make this about me, but the facts are still the facts. And the fact remains cpa has a tarnished testimony and that is what is sad.

I know many good people at cpa and even they do not feel good about what is happening. So cpa doesn't need my help on ruining its reputation, they are the ones that have created this. I have just stated the FACTS!

I have some friends that are coaches in and around the Nashville area and every single one of them has stated they have lost respect for CPA due what has happened there in the last couple of years. There may not be any illegal activities going on, but the perception is that there is. If there is CPA's time will come, just like BA's, MBA's, Grace Christian's and Signal Mountain's.

I have some friends that are coaches in and around the Nashville area and every single one of them has stated they have lost respect for CPA due what has happened there in the last couple of years. There may not be any illegal activities going on, but the perception is that there is. If there is CPA's time will come, just like BA's, MBA's, Grace Christian's and Signal Mountain's.

Reasonable post, and I agree in one regard:

If there is illegal activities, the truth will eventually win. To be honest, that is my desire as well. That is why I only defend on truth and I rebuke unfounded accusations.

People and organizations should not be judged on perception, but truth. If the perceptions are founded in truth, then the accusations are more than slander. I know one thing - when CPA's teams were losing, all this talk didn't exist. I also know, CPA lost a potential state championship in football in 2003-2004 because they self reported a minor violation that no one knew about,and accepted the penalty without complaint. Now that is FACT!