Metro Coaching Carousel

OffTheRecord

Daughters play sports at CRHS they have not heard anything about Abner leaving. CRHS had tons of injuries O-line hit hard. Plus had to practice anywhere he could find grass (front of school). Metro decided to finally level, derock, and sod f-ball practice field and soccer field just as school started makes it hard when your f-ball and girls soccer have to practice in the front yard of the school.

Daughters play sports at CRHS they have not heard anything about Abner leaving. CRHS had tons of injuries O-line hit hard. Plus had to practice anywhere he could find grass (front of school). Metro decided to finally level, derock, and sod f-ball practice field and soccer field just as school started makes it hard when your f-ball and girls soccer have to practice in the front yard of the school.

Most around town have speculated that this would happen. Is it the right move by CR? I don't know. I know many like Abner and say he is a great guy. If you look at his record at CR it is not very impressive at this point. You can't say that the team is new anymore. I know that injuries played a part in how the team's season went. However, when you dress somewhere around 100 players you would hope that the second and third team guys would be coached up to fill in and not have a dramatic decrease in efficiency. Maybe those players just were not as good. Maybe there is a lot more to the situation than what we know. Anyway, hopefully something will be better confirmed soon. I could be wrong about this. It certainly would not be the first time I have been wrong about something. I heard it from a very reliable source. Either way those around CR need certainty as to who their coach is going to be, new or same. JPCraig how about it. What's your take on CR? Would you apply if it is open? Why are the wins not coming?

The job is posted on tssaa website. CR did not dress 100 players. It was more about 60-70. That is still enough that you would expect some decent depth. I think change was needed. This is abners 3rd head coaching job in metro and he has yet to field a team with a winning record. The way metro does things, he will probably be hired as head coach at one of the other openings.

The job is posted on tssaa website. CR did not dress 100 players. It was more about 60-70. That is still enough that you would expect some decent depth. I think change was needed. This is abners 3rd head coaching job in metro and he has yet to field a team with a winning record. The way metro does things, he will probably be hired as head coach at one of the other openings.

This is a sad but true statement. I would like to know confirmed applications for these jobs - that way we can know who the recycled coaches beat out.

The ONE constant I keep seeing over and over when Metro Coaches is discussed is the statement that so and so is a 'great guy'. <_<

OK, so personality wise they are great. My question would be about a potential coach for my school would be, "Can he win?". Unfortunately the 'great guys' seldom do.

Laughing and being the kids 'friend' does not win ball games. This is especially true when they play teams outside of Metro.

Now as to having 'grass', while you can't tackle on it, plays can be run thru on asphalt of concrete. You do what you have to when you REALLY want to win.

The ONE constant I keep seeing over and over when Metro Coaches is discussed is the statement that so and so is a 'great guy'. <_<

OK, so personality wise they are great. My question would be about a potential coach for my school would be, "Can he win?". Unfortunately the 'great guys' seldom do.

Laughing and being the kids 'friend' does not win ball games. This is especially true when they play teams outside of Metro.

Now as to having 'grass', while you can't tackle on it, plays can be run thru on asphalt of concrete. You do what you have to when you REALLY want to win.

Preach it brother.

Preach it brother.

I have been for a number of years already. <_<

Give it about 8 hours and you can enjoy all the current Metro Coaches gang up on me because I do not know or appreciate this and that about Coaching in Metro.

If they would spend one tenth the amount of time actually coaching that they spend finding excuses why they do NOT win, they might actually win a couple.

Probably the BEST training ANY of them could have would have been a short stint in the Marine Corps where they teach you to adapt, sort out, and OVER COME little obstacles instead of whining.

I have been for a number of years already. <_<

Give it about 8 hours and you can enjoy all the current Metro Coaches gang up on me because I do not know or appreciate this and that about Coaching in Metro.

If they would spend one tenth the amount of time actually coaching that they spend finding excuses why they do NOT win, they might actually win a couple.

Probably the BEST training ANY of them could have would have been a short stint in the Marine Corps where they teach you to adapt, sort out, and OVER COME little obstacles instead of whining.

Lost Old Dad,

You do have some points in there, it is the truth that there is a decent percentage of metro coaches that would seemingly rather complain then attempt to fix things, some that appear to take more pride in their war stories then in trying to over come them. Part of the issue that has been discussed ad nauseum is the recycling of mediocre at best coaches, whether so and so is a good guy or not his record does not necessitate more head coaching jobs but the buddy system gets them just that. So they create this security blanket of pointing out what everyone already knows and do a great self promotion job of all the wonderful things they do for their kids.

That being said, that is not all metro coaches. Some are putting forth just as much effort as coaches in the traditional powerhouses and are working to make their situation the best it can be. Some are doing all of the extra things for the kids without beating their own chests while trying their best to create a football program.

Additionally, there is no way you can say with a straight face that metro jobs aren't tougher in the majority of aspects then rutherford, sumner, williamson, or wilson county jobs, there IS more to deal with and more roadblocks to success. People aren't lined up to take assistant jobs at HL, Glenclif, Stratford, and the like as they are at Riverdale, Oakland, and the county schools so the HC has more on his plate with less quality support. BUT these head coaching candidates know that going in and shouldn't use it as a crutch when they aren't reaching the level of success they envisioned.

Quick question though, for a Rutherford county guy from what I have seen in all of your posts, why all the anger/hatred for metro? If it is such a lost cause cluster then why is it that someone with seemingly no dog in the fight has such a strong interest in the dysfunction and downfall?

What coach in your mind could come into metro and win like he does where he is now. I do know this,we will never know,because they will never come to metro.

What coach in your mind could come into metro and win like he does where he is now. I do know this,we will never know,because they will never come to metro.

Well actually there is one coach that proved he could come to Metro and win and that is Lost Old Dad favorite coach Ron Adelotte (SP). What he did at Hillsboro was and is incredible and he could replicate that. However I would say that obstacles in Metro involve the some of the players coaches deal with. Also in many cases the administrators top priority is not football. When Ron was winning he had 6 coaches in the building. If a principal could give a coach that kind of support then yes it could happen. Jay Gore and Mcgavok worked for Ron at Hillsboro, worked for Glenn Mccadams at Lipscomb and Worked for Ron Crawford at Brentwood. No one can tell me that he isnt working as hard as anyone in the state. Coach Woodward worked under Brain Rector at Ravenwood as his OC for their state title runs and is the head coach at Antioch. He knows how to Coach and I am sure works really hard. Pearl Cohn and Coach Brunetti is obviously doing a good job and working hard. Terry Anderson at Overton has been their for 20 years would of had more success but always has had to deal with Hillsboro but has won consistently. Bubba Spears at Hillwood works really hard and has Coach Pigg helping him. Bubba has been on numerous championship teams as an assistant coach throughout metro. These coaches I know work really hard the others I cant say for so sounds like we have someone making accusations that they have no idea what they are talking about.

Well actually there is one coach that proved he could come to Metro and win and that is Lost Old Dad favorite coach Ron Adelotte (SP). What he did at Hillsboro was and is incredible and he could replicate that. However I would say that obstacles in Metro involve the some of the players coaches deal with. Also in many cases the administrators top priority is not football. When Ron was winning he had 6 coaches in the building. If a principal could give a coach that kind of support then yes it could happen. Jay Gore and Mcgavok worked for Ron at Hillsboro, worked for Glenn Mccadams at Lipscomb and Worked for Ron Crawford at Brentwood. No one can tell me that he isnt working as hard as anyone in the state. Coach Woodward worked under Brain Rector at Ravenwood as his OC for their state title runs and is the head coach at Antioch. He knows how to Coach and I am sure works really hard. Pearl Cohn and Coach Brunetti is obviously doing a good job and working hard. Terry Anderson at Overton has been their for 20 years would of had more success but always has had to deal with Hillsboro but has won consistently. Bubba Spears at Hillwood works really hard and has Coach Pigg helping him. Bubba has been on numerous championship teams as an assistant coach throughout metro. These coaches I know work really hard the others I cant say for so sounds like we have someone making accusations that they have no idea what they are talking about.

Gambler great post. Old Dad there is nothing to complain about in your post. Your opinion is your opinion. Again, I have an open door for you anytime you want to come and see one of my practices. I think you would be impressed with what you saw on the field.

Runtheball - I am going to email you tomorrow. I need some of your wisdom and advice!