TSSAA Playoff Process Is The Biggest Joke Ever

TheAmbassador

I am not a big fan of the current system. However, it is like any other rule such as how many players are allowed on the field at one time. Keep in mind that the TSSAA is an association and this system was voted on by representatives from schools across the state. Setting the quadrants like they are is following the rules that were laid out.

Listened to Coach Swenson this morning. He is against the system as it is currently laid out. He did make a good point that when the changes were discussed there were not any coaches from 1A or 2A in the meeting. The current system makes it hard for stronger programs in rural areas to schedule because a lot of programs just don't want to put you on the schedule.

The system is what it is. The old system had a lot of the same inequalities because one district being so much stronger than another. I liked the old system better from the standpoint the district standings meant a lot more. You knew that if you took care of business in the district how you would be ranked in the playoffs regardless of your overall record. I hate the fact that the current system encourages teams to try and schedule as many wins as possible and not schedule up as much.

You know all this whining and complaining over something that, yes may have some flaws in it, but the system has been known for a while. Teams and districts get stronger one year, then maybe weaker next year...oh well it is what it is. And besides, "If you want to be the best, you got to best the best!" Whether that is round 1 or the finals, it doesn't matter. You are not the champs till you win them all!

You know all this whining and complaining over something that, yes may have some flaws in it, but the system has been known for a while. Teams and districts get stronger one year, then maybe weaker next year...oh well it is what it is. And besides, "If you want to be the best, you got to best the best!" Whether that is round 1 or the finals, it doesn't matter. You are not the champs till you win them all!

May the gods forgive me...I messed up the quote..."If you want to be the best, you got to BEAT the best!"

That's not the discussion here.

Edit: Go here to discuss basketball.

Boys BB

His post is not directly about basketball. He is proving the point that no matter what system you use there will be flaws. Some districts are tougher than others that is just life. South Pitt's district is extremely weak and all South Pitt fans know it. I understand that is why South Pitt schedules the way they do, but under this current playoff system it is a huge disadvantage to do so.

Yeah but quad 4 isn't the best of the best. Those teams are beating the worst of the best.

His post is not directly about basketball. He is proving the point that no matter what system you use there will be flaws. Some districts are tougher than others that is just life. South Pitt's district is extremely weak and all South Pitt fans know it. I understand that is why South Pitt schedules the way they do, but under this current playoff system it is a huge disadvantage to do so.

There are next to no 1a schools not in SP's district that will schedule a regular season game with them. This is the first year the District 6 was week, because of Signal Mountain moving up to 4a from 2a. That said, I wager that SP's district has more gold and silver balls than just about any other District/Region in Class A except for TC's.

Edited by rlh

We could go find all the weak teams and fill the schedule, if they would play us. But what good does that do? 10-0 with a first round bye just to get beat by a 7-3 or 8-2 team the second round.

That's right.Next year the West may be getting the closest team from acroos the river.If Huntingdon was the number 1 team in the state or just an 8-2 team,wouldn't anything be said.

There are next to no 1a schools not in SP's district that will schedule a regular season game with them. This is the first year the District 6 was week, because of Signal Mountain moving up to 4a from 2a. That said, I wager that SP's district has more gold and silver balls than just about any other District/Region in Class A except for TC's.

I understand that a lot of 1A schools will not schedule them and it is a major disadvantage as far as seeding goes in this playoff system, but should help prepare you better for your annual run.

We could go find all the weak teams and fill the schedule, if they would play us. But what good does that do? 10-0 with a first round bye just to get beat by a 7-3 or 8-2 team the second round.

That's what I was saying earlier.Cant go by records all the time.Union City at 7-3 or 6-4 could beat a lot of 9-1 or 10-0 teams on a given night.

That's what I was saying earlier.Cant go by records all the time.Union City at 7-3 or 6-4 could beat a lot of 9-1 or 10-0 teams on a given night.

i think its funny how the lake co fans who post on here are making the comments they are when if the shoe was on the other foot they would be as upset as everyone else but i guess when you benefit from the system it does seem like a good thing

and as for the comparison to basketball it an apples to oranges comparison at least in b'ball its a set system none of the morons at tssaa are making decisions who and where you play you play based on district and reigon finish