Who are the best players in Clarksville

Guest tarheelboy32004

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, these are the best players in this order.

1. Brandon Burney(Mont.Central)-For some odd reason I'm just a big fan of this kid, maybe because I've coached him and I've seen him play a number of times..But the kid can FLAT OUT play, that should be good enough reason.

2.Mike Sampson(Kenwood)-Great leader and hustler..Has a nice midrange touch, very coachable and active on the offense, defense end. I love his attitude, plays to win everytime out.

3.Antwan Harris(Kenwood)-I saw him as a sophmore lead his team during timeouts and get them together when they needed someone to show up..He plays really hard and aggressive. Has a bright future, word around is UCONN is seriously looking at him..dont know how true that is but great start.

4.Thomas Haynes(Northwest)-Probably one of the most underrated players in the city. He doesnt get much attention like he should but athletics is big in his family (Sister Ashley signed with Austin Peay after leading Clarksville Northwest to the state tournament and winning lots of hardware). He is a very streaky shooter from outside but goes to the boards hard, Thomas is at his best when hes slashing.

5.Derrick Henson(Rossview)-Another very underrated player in the city, should ger alot of attention for the young Rossview Hawks.Has a very nice touch from outside, can put the ball on the floor and create but that is one of his weaknesses. Plays every game like its his last, very aggressive on the defensive end.

HONORABLE MENTION

Calvin Carter(Northeast)-Plays hard, moves good without the ball, can knock the midrange jumper down with consistency. Calvin takes pride in his defense.

Alex Bowers(Clarksville Academy)-Alex is a all around good athlete with a bright future in basketball. Should eventually end up around 6'3, does great things with the ball in his hands.

Tre Trotter(Rossview)-Lightning quick with raw abilities..Has the unselfishness needed to play the PG spot. Loves to penetrate and dish the ball, needs more work on his jump shot..Out of control at times but Tre is a coaches dream.

Drake Reed-Graylin Tuck(Northeast)-These two young men will be key in leading the Clarksville Northeast eagles back to where the finished last year. These are two guys with lots of potential. :D

Guest ClarksvilleFan

Brandon Burney is no where near the best player in Clarksville. The coaches from the Midstate Ballerz said he really struggled at their showcase against the midstates better players. Also Thomas Haynes in not better than Calvin Carter. Northeasts Drake Reed is a much better player than Burney, but to say Burney is the best player is a slap in the face to the Kenwood boys. The best players in order are:

Antwon Harris - Kenwood

Calvin Carter - Northeast

Mike Sampson - Kenwood

Thomas Haynes - Northwest

Drake Reed - Northeast

Hon Ment.

Graylin Tuck - Northeat

Brandon Burney - Mont. Central

Thomas Pfaff- Northeast

I based my decison on overall talent and atheltic ability. To me Brandon posses all of what you want in a guard..He stil has alot to improve on. Mike Sampson and Antwan Harris are really good players but IMO I think Brandon is more talented. Although I must add he may have already reached his peak which isnt good considering hes just now 16.

Those other guys I dont know if they have any business being on the list, Thomas Pfaff and Graylin Tuck. Graylin has alot of potential to be a good guard in the league but will have to sholder the load the next few years. Drake has a tremdous upside, so based on his potential he does deserve to be on there.

It doesn't matter what order you have them in, but you HAVE to have the Kenwood boys #1 and #2 right now. Also, I do agree that Thomas Haynes is better than Calvin Carter, though both are VERY good players.....Also, especially TnBball, where does Quinn Bradley fit on this list: it's been a while since I've seen him.......My Tops (to me it is very clear cut right now for the top 4):

1)Antwan Harris, Kenwood-wins the toss up with his teammate. Harris is an amazing athlete that has a great feel for the game. Game reminicent of a smaller Shawn Marion...

2)Mike Sampson, Kenwood-plays as hard as anyone in the state. Mike plays very well on the wing, rebounds great, and has a deadly mid-range jumper...

3)Thomas Haynes, Northwest-I really like this kid's game. I feel he may be the most underrated Sr in the state. He has a beautiful shot, he is long, defends, rebounds, and passes well...

4)Calvin Carter, Northeast-Great athlete and very good outside shot. Sometimes out of control, and often settles for the outside shot, but a gamer nonetheless...

5)Gets tougher, with Quinn Bradley, Tre Trotter, Jamel Hunt, Thomas Pfaff, Drake Reed, Graylin Tuck, and Brandon Burney all having a shot at it. It will take a while to sort out who has earned this fifth spot at the moment......

[Edited by gomab2 on 10-14-02 6:10P]

Hey Gomab, you know I can go along with your order more so than mine..I've goofed as far as ranking Alex Bowers from Clarksville Academy ahead of Quinn Bradley. But at least you didnt come at me like ClarksvilleFan..its not like these arent opinons, but in any case. As much as I hate to say this Quinn may have peaked out..He was so much better or maybe it was bigger than anyone else in 8th- summer of his 10th grade year, now everyone has caught up to him..Honestly he hasnt been working on his game as much as he should have. He ran away from competition when he should have been playing more. As much as I love Quinn and the way he plays, hes nowhere near where she should be..GRANTED he still has Great Athletic ability, a good knowledge of the game, and plays SUPER HARD!!

As far as Calvin vs Thomas, I honestly think that Thomas works harder on his game and he should get the nod over Calvin..Thats the reason I ranked Rossview's Derrick Henson over Carter. Carter isnt where he should be but you're right a gamer he is..He seems to always be hanging around when people count him out..Haynes would have to be the most underrated player like I've stated in my first post..I love Antwan's game..Did you hear if thats true or not about the UCONN situation. I heard they're on him heavy..but great comparison with him and Shawn Marion..The more I think back to how Shawn played thats exactly how Antwan is..Antwan wont really improve untill he gets to college under a better program where he can blossom. (I just wish he'll graduate) ;)

Mike Sampson, you gotta love him..the kid works as hard as anyone I know. GOMAB I'll tell you what..this class of 2003 in Clarksville may be the scrapest, hardest working guys I've ever been around.

As far as Graylin Tuck, Thomas Pfaff,Drake Reed and Tre Trotter..you put it best when you said they would have to battle it out.

TnBball and Gomab,

Pretty good lists other than Burney being the best player in the city. But TnBball how do you make the ASSUMPTION that Haynes works harder on his game than Calvin Carter. And what do you mean by you just wish Harris would graduate? I hope you are not implying that he is not a smart kid, cause that is not the case(please explain). But you guys all know that there is only one way to see who is the best among the players and that is roll the ball out and let them play. All these players should be on hand this weekend at The Midstate Ballerz Showcase 2. Typing on this board won't make anybody better. Nobody is getting a scholarship based on what we type on Coach T. So instead of typing so much maybe we should all go out and coach our players a little harder. And we wonder why players play video games all summer instead of working on their games. Maybe it is because we all type on the internet instead of Coach!!! So this weekend starts the unnofficial beginning of the season. The Midstates best will be here. LET THE GAMES BEGIN

I'll try to get in touch with Thomas and make sure hes there.. The statement about "I just wish he (Antwan Harris) graduates" means, I'm not looking forward to coaching againist him for the next two years..The kid can play and his a tough match..It wouldnt be that smart to degrade Clarksville players or any players for that matter. I like Antwan alot, I hope he makes it big. I do my job as far as coaching, these are message boards where you type your opionion and thats all I do..type WHAT I THINK..not anything else.

I dont mean to affend anyone on these boards, obviously some people will agree and some will disagree but its not worth arguing over..I mean these are 15-18 year old Kids that like you (Coach Reed) said "Typing on the computer isnt gonna make them better" ..so lets just let them play it out on the court.Thanks TNBBALL!!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by TnBball:

I'll try to get in touch with Thomas and make sure hes there.. The statement about "I just wish he (Antwan Harris) graduates" means, I'm not looking forward to coaching againist him for the next two years..The kid can play and his a tough match..It wouldnt be that smart to degrade Clarksville players or any players for that matter. I like Antwan alot, I hope he makes it big. I do my job as far as coaching, these are message boards where you type your opionion and thats all I do..type WHAT I THINK..not anything else.

I dont mean to affend anyone on these boards, obviously some people will agree and some will disagree but its not worth arguing over..I mean these are 15-18 year old Kids that like you (Coach Reed) said "Typing on the computer isnt gonna make them better" ..so lets just let them play it out on the court.Thanks TNBBALL!!

brandon burney is the best,hes the most underrated and overlooked in clarksville,hes got some raw talent,and this kid has the heart and can only get better.hes a great ballplayer with an awesome attitude.go brandon!

I havent seen drake reed play since the season of last year when he played for CA's jv team after transferring. At that point he was no where near as good as brandon burney but i havent seen him play since then. Also in my opinion its alright to discuss the best players but for this upcoming season we could see the uprising of new players and the decline of players who were at the top this past season. Basketball is an unpredictable sport and there are so many great players in our city. One who i would like to point out is Brian skelton. He plays for houston cty. He would easily be at the top of this list now if everyone would go watch this kid. He is a level above everyone else, unbelievable hops, probably more than anyone in clarksville and hes so smooth. It looks as if hes not even tryin. Everyone needs to watch this kid play because if he would hustle more he would easily be 1 of the most highly recrutied players anywhere!