The Poster Child of How the New Playoff System is Broke....

davidlimbaugh

Happens all over the place, take Oak Ridge for example, they beat Karns H2H (and have a better record), yet have to go to quad 2 as a #7 and Karns is a #5 in Quad 1. Oak Ridge beat Hardin Valley and OR is a #7 in Quad 2 and HV is a #6 in Quad 1. Hardin Valley beat Karns H2H with same overall record, yet Karns is a #5 and HV is a #6. It's all about GEOGRAPHY, in the Oak Ridge situation anyway.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always... great point....

Definitely needs fixed.... embarrassing

A glaring example of how the new system is broke? Bartlett.

http://www.tssaa.org/schdir/regionalstandings.cfm

Finished 4th in the district. (2-3, 5-5)

Did not make the playoffs

Craigmont finished 5th in same district. (1-4, 5-5)

They met last night and Bartlett won.

So Bartlett has a better district record. Won head-to-head.

Craigmont is in. Bartlett is out.

They lose on the 4th tie breaker. 54-52 - opponents wins...

Set up the conferences by the size of the school and take the top two out of every conference to the playoffs. We play two many playoff games all the way to December. And besides im sick of hearing these 5A schools whine about playing 6A schools.

It works as long as you only use district/conference records and not include out of confrence results. Otherwise the scheduling issue is still there for some teams. But that sounds like the old system with two less teams from each conference. The first thing you have to do is get rid of the 6A class and atleast go back to 5A. Then pull the top two from each conference. Hopefuly that would eliminate scheduling issues and less than .500 winning percentage from getting in.

As always... great point....

Definitely needs fixed.... embarrassing

Thank You for the kind words.

First, I am not a Bartlett supporter. I am Riverdale's Sports Information Director (SID for short :)

When they announced the 'Z' plan I told the TSSAA leaders that it was a terrible idea. Non-District games at the high school level in ANY sport should never impact the post-season.

The example I have used over and over again is a team in our district, Lavergne. We have a 6-team district which means 5 district games and 5 non-district games. 7AAA football is a pretty tough district. But if Lavergne (who beat 3A power CAK this year) would schedule 5 Single A or Double A opponents, good ones, like Eagleville, Cascade, Forrest, or ??? and win those five games, they are almost in. One win (and they played Blackman close for a lot of the game last night and lost to Siegel by one score) in the district pretty much gets them in at 6-4. Currently there is ZERO (0!) deterrent to doing this. If would ask a few of the A teams to play me home and home and give them part of the gate each year since I offer more seating....

The system is BROKE. It has always been BROKE. Bandages and gauze and tape have not fixed it.

Don't blame the coaches. They have always liked and want the old system back because the second your district games were over you knew you played in week 11 and could exchange films that night and go to work.

Administrators wanted this new system for a money reason, travel. But since a lot of teams have trouble finding games has the travel been cut back that much? TSSAA likes it because 6 trophies means more championship games and more playoff games.

Thank You for the kind words.

First, I am not a Bartlett supporter. I am Riverdale's Sports Information Director (SID for short :)

When they announced the 'Z' plan I told the TSSAA leaders that it was a terrible idea. Non-District games at the high school level in ANY sport should never impact the post-season.

The example I have used over and over again is a team in our district, Lavergne. We have a 6-team district which means 5 district games and 5 non-district games. 7AAA football is a pretty tough district. But if Lavergne (who beat 3A power CAK this year) would schedule 5 Single A or Double A opponents, good ones, like Eagleville, Cascade, Forrest, or ??? and win those five games, they are almost in. One win (and they played Blackman close for a lot of the game last night and lost to Siegel by one score) in the district pretty much gets them in at 6-4. Currently there is ZERO (0!) deterrent to doing this. If would ask a few of the A teams to play me home and home and give them part of the gate each year since I offer more seating....

The system is BROKE. It has always been BROKE. Bandages and gauze and tape have not fixed it.

Don't blame the coaches. They have always liked and want the old system back because the second your district games were over you knew you played in week 11 and could exchange films that night and go to work.

Administrators wanted this new system for a money reason, travel. But since a lot of teams have trouble finding games has the travel been cut back that much? TSSAA likes it because 6 trophies means more championship games and more playoff games.

David does the TSSAA get any of the gate during the regular season?

A glaring example of how the new system is broke? Bartlett.

http://www.tssaa.org/schdir/regionalstandings.cfm

Finished 4th in the district. (2-3, 5-5)

Did not make the playoffs

Craigmont finished 5th in same district. (1-4, 5-5)

They met last night and Bartlett won.

So Bartlett has a better district record. Won head-to-head.

Craigmont is in. Bartlett is out.

They lose on the 4th tie breaker. 54-52 - opponents wins...

Agree as several others, Neither should be in

Also State Championship games need to be moved back to Nashville or Murfresboro or rotating between East, Middle and West will be best. Nashville & Titans Stadium is best if not rotating, being more centrally located, however this gives the metro & middle Tn schools the advantage. Rotating venue options WEST:Liberty Bowl,UTM,MUS,CBHS... MIDDLE:Nashville Titan Stadium, MTSU....EAST: Neyland Stadium,TTU,UTC

It would be a great experience for kids, their families and schools to play @ Neyland or Titans Stadium

Edited by StBentley

Also State Championship games need to be moved back to Nashville or Murfresboro or rotating between East, Middle and West will be best. Nashville & Titans Stadium is best if not rotating, being more centrally located, however this gives the metro & middle Tn schools the advantage. Rotating venue options WEST:Liberty Bowl,UTM,MUS,CBHS... MIDDLE:Nashville Titan Stadium, MTSU....EAST: Neyland Stadium,TTU,UTC

It would be a great experience for kids, their families and schools to play @ Neyland or Titans Stadium

Most states do this already. They play thier state championship in high profile places. Its the biggest weekend in high school football. The pinicale. Lets make it special. TTU is definetly not that.

Edited by milo118

No school or stadium venue is going to allow these State Championships to be played on their field with a natural grass surface. There's no way a field will hold up to two days and six games without the field sustaining severe damage. When this type of damage occurs...it takes money and time to fix....moreso...the time!...precious time that the Universitys or NFL can't afford to lose. I've had this conversation with two different coaches at the college level who desperately would love to host this event. It is more likely that Austin Peay in Clarksville will host the State Finals before LP Field or Vandy (unless Vandy puts down a new surface..which I believe is in the works).

Sorry, but I prefer this system to the old one. The old system had far more very bad teams making the playoffs. Someone mentioned it earlier but the playoffs were not competitive in the first couple rounds.

That said, I don't really like the new system very much. There do seem to be some tweaks that need t be made, and I'm not really sure how they would be made.

1. Head to head is used as a tie-breaker in the districts and should be used similarly in overall seeding.

2. Somehow, games against teams in your classification(6A, 5A, etc...) or higher, need to become more valuable. Perhaps a seeding penalty for less than 8 games and even higher penaly for less than 6. There are probably better ideas but we need to encourage teams to schedule other teams in their class, while leaving a little wiggle room for bad situations.

One thing I really like about the new system is that we get to see more new teams in the playoffs. The old system seemed to provide rematch after rematch in the first couple rounds.

What I would really like to see, dollars be darned, is five classes and a true 1-32 seeding based on a tested computer formula.