who will take the greenfield football job

lineman4life

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A coach at JCM told me there were no paid assistant coaches at Greenfield. No coach can win with just volunteers! Anyone who takes this job is either desperate to get his first head coaching position or a GHS graduate who wants to go home. GHS is the 3rd smallest school in the state with a football program behind Red Boiling Springs and Pickett County.

There is one paid assistant coach at Greenfield. This past year was his 2nd year I believe. The issue with that is that to have a paid assistant you have to have a teaching position. There was an assistant who gave up the coaching position a few years back but not his teaching position. I am not sure that a teaching position will open up for a 2nd assistant to be hired but it is just November so still a lot of time left in the year for a teacher to retire or take a position elsewhere that would open up a spot.

It is a very tough situation for any coach to go into but in the late 90's early 00's, Greenfield had some successful teams (Above .500 records, playoff appearances, playoff wins) under some of the same circumstances that a coach would face right now (# of students, # of coaches). The biggest difference is that in those years it was the old playoff system, and the region that they played in was small and not that strong besides at the that top. Bruceton was in there for a few years, South Fulton and Dresden were really strong in the late 90s. Also those years Greenfield had a string of very talented players for a school of its size like Brock Porter, Lateef Skinner, Don Pitt, Rusty Darby, Jonathan McAdams, Josh Puckett just to name a few. Not saying that the kids there presently aren't good players or athletes but I'm not sure that the caliber of the players that I named are there. Just my two cents.

Booster clubs can pay a volunteer. Its not like the supplement is much for a teacher anyways. Greenfield is just an offseason program away and a few years from being competative. It would be great to see 4 weakley county schools in the playoffs.

What kind of mess is this? If that Childress man finds out these coaches are getting money under the table, he might shut this program down. I garuntee you this is a bunch of mess. That Childress man will put them on probabtion for that. You think im joking but im not.

A coach at JCM told me there were no paid assistant coaches at Greenfield. No coach can win with just volunteers! Anyone who takes this job is either desperate to get his first head coaching position or a GHS graduate who wants to go home. GHS is the 3rd smallest school in the state with a football program behind Red Boiling Springs and Pickett County.

I believe Gleason is smaller and possibly Bruceton. Either way Greenfield has talent there and a good program getting these kids lifting and excited would get them going. I also wish they would move them into district 13a with Gleason and Dresden to have an all Weakley and Carrol county district. They would fair better with competition like West Carrol Bruceton and Gleason and could also schedule some of the smaller schools they play from the district they are in now such as Halls and South Fulton.

Edited by jayness