Oak Ridge Football 2012

SweetScience

I see the question mark at the end of your sentence but the words indicate that it is a statement. Are you asking me a question or telling me something?

Your initial post on the topic suggested to me that you were happy to potentially move to 4a, where Oak Ridge might contend for a championship, from 5a, where Oak Ridge might never again contend. If Oak Ridge were my team I'd be ashamed of that.

Your initial post on the topic suggested to me that you were happy to potentially move to 4a, where Oak Ridge might contend for a championship, from 5a, where Oak Ridge might never again contend. If Oak Ridge were my team I'd be ashamed of that.

Then you read something in that wasn't there. My point is simple. The 4A class looks weak and if we remain 4A as our enrollment dictates, we should compete for and win many more titles. If we move up to 5A as the TSSAA allows, then we most likely have won our last, although anything can happen. My personal preference would be to move up to 5A because that's what I'm used to (playing in the top classification), but being "ashamed" of being in 4A is ridiculous.

I'm glad to see that I misinterpreted your post. I had always thought of Oak Ridge as being willing to play anyone anywhere.

There's no shame in being 4A. There's a a good bit of shame in wishing you were 4A just so you could contend.

I think we are competing quiet well myself, Ian. We just made it to the state finals 7 years ago and lost by a TD. Went to the semis just a few yrs ago, lost to the eventual state champion. Maryville, along with Smyrna and only a few others can make that claim. I think we are doing just fine in the Ridge. Maryville is just on a magical run right now.. They have the best staff in the country, imo. At least top 5. It goes in cycles, just like in college football.

Edited by SweetScience

I think we are competing quiet well myself, Ian. We just made it to the state finals 7 years ago and lost by a TD. Went to the semis just a few yrs ago, lost to the eventual state champion. Maryville, along with Smyrna and only a few others can make that claim. I think we are doing just fine in the Ridge. Maryville is just on a magical run right now.. They have the best staff in the country, imo. At least top 5. It goes in cycles, just like in college football.

And before that the only school they lost to was R'dale when we were on our 10 year state championship run when we were either the state champ or runner up.

Oak Ridge can and DOES compete at the highest levels. You forget that and they will hand you your tail.

And before that the only school they lost to was R'dale when we were on our 10 year state championship run when we were either the state champ or runner up.

Oak Ridge can and DOES compete at the highest levels. You forget that and they will hand you your tail.

Yes, i have always said if not for Riverdale from 93 to say 97? If not for your Warriors, the Ridge woulda bagged a few state titles then. Everybody measures everybody compared to Maryville right now. So, if you aren't making the state finals every year, youre not competing. :rolleyes: State finals in 2005, semifinals 2010 Q-finals just last year. That's not what we wanna settle for in Oak Ridge, but i can name MANY other schools that wished they could claim that.

• 3 weeks later...

What will we do if the TSSAA goes to five classes? Will we move up or stay at 4A where the projection shows us to be? The 4A class looks pretty weak. I could see us competing for a championship in most years and winning several. If we stay 5A we may have won our last one years ago. What's your opinion Wildcat fans?

I think it goes to 5 classes, and I think we play up....if the town ever comes back, the enrollment will come back, and our numbers will go back up some...we got to keep our feeder schools going, along with the Boys Club, to develop young talent. We have a good team coming this year, with the players we have, we can play up. We just need to get the town back from its current state...

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the Maryville College 7 on 7 today and noticed that Oak Ridge had a new look to their helmets. Most of the players didn't have decals on their helmets yet, but OR's starting quarterback had a decal of the interlocking "OR" in white on his helmet instead of the traditional logo. I thought that this was interesting, as I have always liked Oak Ridge's traditional look and I'm surprised that it is being changed up.

This is what the new logo looked like, minus the paw print in the background of course

logo_oak_ridge.jpg

They had guys wear those before the season started last year, AllRegion. And even hinted at changing the scheme before the season started, but didn't. Lots of old-timers and boosters raised he** about them changing it, so they stuck with the traditional logo this past season. I am like you, i have always loved our traditional look, and i don't like the changes myself. I hope they stick with the original logo, we have had it since the late 60's.

They had guys wear those before the season started last year, AllRegion. And even hinted at changing the scheme before the season started, but didn't. Lots of old-timers and boosters raised he** about them changing it, so they stuck with the traditional logo this past season. I am like you, i have always loved our traditional look, and i don't like the changes myself. I hope they stick with the original logo, we have had it since the late 60's.

Thanks for the clarification, Sweet! Personally, I am glad to hear that. I was worried when I first saw the new logo on there. There are certain "classic" things in HS football that should be left alone, and Oak Ridge's helmets are one of those things.

Thanks for the clarification, Sweet! Personally, I am glad to hear that. I was worried when I first saw the new logo on there. There are certain "classic" things in HS football that should be left alone, and Oak Ridge's helmets are one of those things.

I know exactly what you mean, Oak Ride's helmets to me would be like the Chicago Bears changing the "C" on their helmets, or Green Bay changing theirs, or even UT changing the Power "T"..Just wouldn't look right..

I know exactly what you mean, Oak Ride's helmets to me would be like the Chicago Bears changing the "C" on their helmets, or Green Bay changing theirs, or even UT changing the Power "T"..Just wouldn't look right..

I wonder if Jackie Pope felt that way when they changed his helmet? UT did not always have that power T.

If people want to talk tradition.. Let's talk about it.

Edited by bladerunner