Warren County vs Van Buren County

TheSnowMan

I was not at the game but even fans from Van Buren Co were telling me there were racial slurs, no need for that. This is Basketball not Streetball. Players and fans should treat other players and fans with respect not going out and calling the Warren Co coaches "improper names". Hopefully this is a one time thing and I hope this is not the way things are done in Van Buren Co because if so thats low-class and unsportsman like.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not at the game but even fans from Van Buren Co were telling me there were racial slurs, no need for that. This is Basketball not Streetball. Players and fans should treat other players and fans with respect not going out and calling the Warren Co coaches "improper names". Hopefully this is a one time thing and I hope this is not the way things are done in Van Buren Co because if so thats low-class and unsportsman like.

unsportsman an low class funny from some one who wasnt at the game the only thing that was either of those words was ur warren co coach didnt c our coach running out there an screaming or pushing kids or getting held back by his team an acting like a child an ruining a perfectly good basketball game that both groups of boys had fought hard to win all night. The man SHOVED a teenage boy but some one called him a name so that makes it all righT.

Made the trip up to Van Buren to see this game, before I start with a rant I would like to say that it was overall an amazing game, couldn't have asked for more. Now, for me I was sitting on the opposite side of the benches, but honestly I don't see how ANYONE could hear something, especially coming from the stands. I literally couldn't hear the people sitting right beside me, the atmosphere was that intense. Now from what I saw here is what happened,

Van Buren is down 11 or so in 3rd

Van Buren comes back to take the lead in 4th, tension from Warren County rises.

Game heads into overtime.

Van Buren takes an early lead hitting a couple of really nice baskets, after some words were exchanged on the Warren Bench, technical is called on bench.

Shortly after on an inbound's play #55 (VB) was being played tightly by a WC player, even though the ball wasn't in play, some words were exchanged and the VB player ended up getting shoved. He didn't get shoved as hard as he let on, but none-the-less it was still a foul, technical handed out for that play.

Almost simultaneously the WC coach walks on to the court discussing something with the official in rage, technical is called on WC. (In other words 2 technical)

WC's coach waves to all of his players to leave so, the all start

Now, as the WC coach is storming the court, #55(VB) gets in "His way" so he gives him a shove, instantly everyone starts after the coach, police restrain everyone, even the WC coach. It looked like he wanted to fight as much as the VB players had.

However, I will give the coach the benefit of the doubt and say that VB's crowd may have said something racial, but if the crowd were the ones who were accused how did he hear it from all way at pretty much mid-court where he was standing? Impossible if you ask me.

If racial slurs were said it is a huge low-blow and should never be used in any type of situation. However, you cannot fine a team merely because of the crowd, because as was said, it is VB's crowd that was accused. Something could be given because of VB's reaction. Multiple VB players had to be restrained and it seemed as though there were some colorful words flying.

The deal about him worrying about his daughter is clearly false. He left her on the bench while he stormed the locker room....

ok let me clear some things up. I talked to Coach M last night. He said him and the atlethic director met with TSSAA yesterday and they reviewed the film. NO 1: Coach M did not push any VB player down (per TSSAA) NO 2: The boy from VB that was pushed down by WC player (per TSSAA) the VB boy should have got a grammy for the acting job of falling on the floor. NO 3: when reviewing the film (per TSSAA) there were racial slurs that were heard by TSSAA on the film. NO 4: the only thing that is going to happen to Coach M is a 500.00 fine for forfeiting the game (TSSAA rule). Thats it!!! Now as fas as VB TSSAA is meeting with them today they will be assessed fines as well. They are also possibly gonna have some supsensions or fines for the two boys that were at the game wearing a gorilla suit and a banana suit and for all the racial comments. So I guess we will have to wait and see what all happens to VB. He did say that WC will probably still play VB at WC in Feb. Oh one last thing. The technical that Coach M was questioning will also be questioned by TSSAA because asst. Coach Pride got the technical for telling WC players to guard the shooter. TSSAA didn't feel that was a reason to give him a technical. I agree.

I've been reading this all morning, and all I have to say is wow. It's amazing to me how far our country has come in hundreds of years but Van Buren is still stuck back in the 1800s. First of all how does the staff and police of Van Buren let people in the game with gorilla suits on that is amazing to me. I'm not saying either side is right here but letting people into the game like that, and really think nothing is going to happen. I mean I know Van Buren Police Department is some of the finest trained in the whole world lol so I guess they had to feel like they was special or something

ok let me clear some things up. I talked to Coach M last night. He said him and the atlethic director met with TSSAA yesterday and they reviewed the film. NO 1: Coach M did not push any VB player down (per TSSAA) NO 2: The boy from VB that was pushed down by WC player (per TSSAA) the VB boy should have got a grammy for the acting job of falling on the floor. NO 3: when reviewing the film (per TSSAA) there were racial slurs that were heard by TSSAA on the film. NO 4: the only thing that is going to happen to Coach M is a 500.00 fine for forfeiting the game (TSSAA rule). Thats it!!! Now as fas as VB TSSAA is meeting with them today they will be assessed fines as well. They are also possibly gonna have some supsensions or fines for the two boys that were at the game wearing a gorilla suit and a banana suit and for all the racial comments. So I guess we will have to wait and see what all happens to VB. He did say that WC will probably still play VB at WC in Feb. Oh one last thing. The technical that Coach M was questioning will also be questioned by TSSAA because asst. Coach Pride got the technical for telling WC players to guard the shooter. TSSAA didn't feel that was a reason to give him a technical. I agree.

Thank you for clarifying this. There were racial slurs for you that were not at the game and for you who were at the game but do not want to admit it. Shoving a player? Seriously? People can take a rumor and fly a mile with it. He did not "shove" a player. Most of the people on here commenting did not even see the game. They heard the rumors and selectively defended what they wanted on here. Now that TSSAA has seen video proof and heard what was actually said, all the people wanting to defend that there were no racial slurs be assured that there were. I think the bigger story to this is some students showing up a gorilla and banana suit. How does that get past anyone? 6A Baseball wants to get on here and say a white out game is promoting unsportsmanlike behavior but failed to mention anything about Van Buren letting their fans show up to a basketball game in a gorilla suit and a banana suit. Someone that was within school system had to let them through. If they did slip up and got through the gates casually without being noticed then I am sure someone with authority could have asked them to leave. The WC coach did get mad; he is human. He did not lose his temper and did not promote violence. He simply left it. Glad TSSAA addressed this in the right manner.

Made the trip up to Van Buren to see this game, before I start with a rant I would like to say that it was overall an amazing game, couldn't have asked for more. Now, for me I was sitting on the opposite side of the benches, but honestly I don't see how ANYONE could hear something, especially coming from the stands. I literally couldn't hear the people sitting right beside me, the atmosphere was that intense. Now from what I saw here is what happened,

Van Buren is down 11 or so in 3rd

Van Buren comes back to take the lead in 4th, tension from Warren County rises.

Game heads into overtime.

Van Buren takes an early lead hitting a couple of really nice baskets, after some words were exchanged on the Warren Bench, technical is called on bench.

Shortly after on an inbound's play #55 (VB) was being played tightly by a WC player, even though the ball wasn't in play, some words were exchanged and the VB player ended up getting shoved. He didn't get shoved as hard as he let on, but none-the-less it was still a foul, technical handed out for that play.

Almost simultaneously the WC coach walks on to the court discussing something with the official in rage, technical is called on WC. (In other words 2 technical)

WC's coach waves to all of his players to leave so, the all start

Now, as the WC coach is storming the court, #55(VB) gets in "His way" so he gives him a shove, instantly everyone starts after the coach, police restrain everyone, even the WC coach. It looked like he wanted to fight as much as the VB players had.

However, I will give the coach the benefit of the doubt and say that VB's crowd may have said something racial, but if the crowd were the ones who were accused how did he hear it from all way at pretty much mid-court where he was standing? Impossible if you ask me.

If racial slurs were said it is a huge low-blow and should never be used in any type of situation. However, you cannot fine a team merely because of the crowd, because as was said, it is VB's crowd that was accused. Something could be given because of VB's reaction. Multiple VB players had to be restrained and it seemed as though there were some colorful words flying.

The deal about him worrying about his daughter is clearly false. He left her on the bench while he stormed the locker room....

It is also false saying he left his daughter on the bench. She was sitting in the crowd with the WC fans sat with a lady from WC all night. When all the mess started a SRO officer came and carried her to get on the bus with the team. She was never with her father until she got on the bus. And one more thing as she was leaving with the SRO officer she was told by some VB fans her dad was a N----. She started crying at that point. Very very sad.

It is also false saying he left his daughter on the bench. She was sitting in the crowd with the WC fans sat with a lady from WC all night. When all the mess started a SRO officer came and carried her to get on the bus with the team. She was never with her father until she got on the bus. And one more thing as she was leaving with the SRO officer she was told by some VB fans her dad was a N----. She started crying at that point. Very very sad.

If what you are saying is true then the Southern Standard had it wrong because she in all likely hood would not be sitting behind the WC bench with WC fans since the VB home side sits behind the benches of both teams. So to say she was within hearing distance of what was supposedly said to her father would be inaccurate. So was the Southern Standard reporter wrong. As for Ape suit along with banana suit those students have been dressing up like that for over a year. You might to follow up on just reports and rumors before you state what you say are facts. They just didnt do this for 1 night. For some reason they do it no matter who the coach is or what color they players are. Dont know reason they do, but just wasnt a WC is coming to town deal. I think you will hear tommorrow the School Board for WC had indefinetely suspended Coach Montgomery. WC own school board was either protecting their interest or thought he needed to be punished. The TSSAA said he was ok to coach without a suspension. I think Coach Montgomery should be suspended for a period of time because IMO he quit during a middle of a game. What happens when a player in practice has something said to him by Coach Montgomery that is offensive to player. Is it ok for him to quit the team. You coach between the baseline sidelines. Had a guy ask me a great question. If Coach and WC were up 6points in OT would they have still walked off floor. If so then why did they no when they were up 10 in 4th quarter. If all these things were being said during whole game why didnt you walk off as soon as you 1st heard it. IMO unless players safety are in jeapordy you dont walk off floor. Things get said by unruly fans all the time and that will never change. You just dont walk off because of it. You continue to compete on the playing floor. Take all the Homerism hometown bias out of it. Would you want your fav college team to walk of floor. What about a hs game you are watching without hometown interest. I just dont want a team headcoach to walk off floor in middle of a great game.

If what you are saying is true then the Southern Standard had it wrong because she in all likely hood would not be sitting behind the WC bench with WC fans since the VB home side sits behind the benches of both teams. So to say she was within hearing distance of what was supposedly said to her father would be inaccurate. So was the Southern Standard reporter wrong. As for Ape suit along with banana suit those students have been dressing up like that for over a year. You might to follow up on just reports and rumors before you state what you say are facts. They just didnt do this for 1 night. For some reason they do it no matter who the coach is or what color they players are. Dont know reason they do, but just wasnt a WC is coming to town deal. I think you will hear tommorrow the School Board for WC had indefinetely suspended Coach Montgomery. WC own school board was either protecting their interest or thought he needed to be punished. The TSSAA said he was ok to coach without a suspension. I think Coach Montgomery should be suspended for a period of time because IMO he quit during a middle of a game. What happens when a player in practice has something said to him by Coach Montgomery that is offensive to player. Is it ok for him to quit the team. You coach between the baseline sidelines. Had a guy ask me a great question. If Coach and WC were up 6points in OT would they have still walked off floor. If so then why did they no when they were up 10 in 4th quarter. If all these things were being said during whole game why didnt you walk off as soon as you 1st heard it. IMO unless players safety are in jeapordy you dont walk off floor. Things get said by unruly fans all the time and that will never change. You just dont walk off because of it. You continue to compete on the playing floor. Take all the Homerism hometown bias out of it. Would you want your fav college team to walk of floor. What about a hs game you are watching without hometown interest. I just dont want a team headcoach to walk off floor in middle of a great game.

Edited by 4changes

ihave nothing to do with van buren co. or warren co. i am from white co. i went to a game there last year and ther was a guy in a gorilla suit. so this isn't the first time they have dressed up. i asked a vb fan y he was dressed up in a gorilla suit and he said he had no idea. just wanted to straighten that up. now racial slurs happen all the time at vb.it's just gonna happen in a little redneck town like spencer. i have also heard racial slurs at cookeville and shelbyville b4. so it does happen. not like it used to but it does. i'm sure warren co. coach thought they wer gonna go in there and kill em. he got mad cause they wer beating them and the crowd was fired up. van buren co. boys are very good for a single a team. they may go to state this year. anyway that's my 2 cents.