A Really Radical Suggestion...

supersteve17

Volgen-

Chakra might mean playing privates...USJ could play JCS, and Fayette, but I see them going to Memphis to fill their schedule out...and every Memphis private is in Division 2...ECS, HARDING, BRIARCREST, MUS, CBHS, SBA, etc.

With the exception of SBA, thats a murderous schedule year in and year out. They could play Bishop Byrne or SBEC as well...but I believe SBEC will leave the TSSAA if they go to a split...SBEC wants to win at all costs, and playing those schools will be the end of their success(I'm not down on SBEC, they have good kids, but I am being honest).

SBEC is in Southaven, MS for those who don't know, and they have been a part of the MPSSA for a long time, but went to the TSSAA about four years ago.

True, USJ could play JCM and southside, but that also requires JCM wanting to play them...and who knows if they really do? The split is not a good thing, because to me it makes so many teams have to travel long distances in order to fill a schedule. Some of the Chattanooga teams (I believe someone asked about them) are Chattanooga Notre Dame, Tyner, Baylor, McCallie...there are probably a few more, but my mind is not awake yet.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ego...I believe JCM tried to get USJ for next year, but either USJ didn`t want to play or they just couldn`t work it out schedule wise. JCM has been having a hard time finding opponents in this area.

As far as USJ getting other private schools to play, It would depend on how any proposed split would work out. Since the only private 1A schools in West TN are TCA, USJ, Fayette Academy, and JCS they would definitely have to go somewhere. One would have to wonder if the privates stayed split between financial-aid and non f/a if they would have a 4 team region here in West TN or would they pull a team or two from middle TN.

I really like this idea in theory. TN has only pseudo-champions now anyways. A state the size of ours "crowning" eight state champions is absurd.

Unfortunately, for reasons already stated (money, power, ego, envy) the current system is not likely to change, and in fact will probably get even worse. Can you imagine if this supposed "total split" takes place and the Private School division further splits into financial aid and non-financial aid?

I'd like to see true winners rewarded with a state championship. The current system does this in name only. In my view, the ultimate system would be three divisions total in the state...regardless of public/private. That would have real meaning, and just making it to the semifinals would be a great accomplishment.

Oh well...I can dream can't I?? :rolleyes:

itzme:

I like that idea, three classifications. And it would make sense to add what ELA mentioned in another thread about a Class B league/classification -- for teams that couldn't compete in 1A, but want to play football. So, in my dream world, there would actually be four classifications.

But with Carlton Flatt back in coaching and the recent tradition of Ezell going for state records against small rural schools, the chances of public schools voting against a split are nil. And I go both ways with the lawsuit BA filed -- should they or shouldn't they have filed it? The litigious nature of a school (or schools) is a reality that the TSSAA and its members (schools) now have to face.

Nothing that has happened since the split was first made has encouraged split-voters to change their mind. Idealists and dreamers would love to see everyone play each other, but the majority of coaches and school administrators don't share that opinion. And I think anyone who follows high school athletics can sympathize with the public school majority.

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:
Posted by Chakra20:

VolGen please drop the magnet thing you have your own thread for it everyone agrres they should private. As far whhat everyone that doesnt want a split goto a 1a or 2a school then goto a private school in same division thats all you have todo. You see the differnces in size money etc.. In bakc to back week i have been to Coolinwood and Jo byrns while both having good facilites then travel over to CPA and you will know why this must happen.

It really is kinda sad like the end of an era but it has just became time. good Luck to all the small public schools and Good Luck Ezell.

On a side note its gonnna be easy for Ezell to find its regualr season games because of the number of private schools in Nashville. What about teams like USJ in Jackson and BBS and Tyner in Chattanooga they are gonna have a tough time with games. Especailly if they dont play division 2 large teams McCallie and the likes.

Chakra...I saw Stan posting on this thread and was just trying to get his opinion on the subject. He posts on this board a lot and I couldn`t remember if he had joined in on the magnet debate. It`s a good topic to discuss. Mainly because in the end if there is a split, I feel the TSSAA will have to show just cause for the split. The biggest reason on this board has been that they have no zones. If that is why they do it, then I feel the TSSAA will open themselves up for another huge lawsuit. Not saying that will happen, but I just don`t think the TSSAA wants to get back in the court system again. I know there is a lot of talk from the public schools that they want a split, but frankly I don`t think the TSSAA will do it.

I`m not sure if USJ would have a hard time or not. Probably not. Southside (3A) and Northside (4A) are on their schedule for next year. JCM was trying to work something out with them too.

What kind of trouble did you have at Collinwood?

I didnt have any trouble at COllinwood they were very nice i even stood in there stands. Of coarse i wasnt wering my Ezell Stuff but thats beside the fact they are very nice people. I started a thread on the scheduling delema this will bring up.