Tri-County Seven

coachh17

I had to work late in Hawkins County and could not make the game. I did talk to several people that were there and the general consensus among Cyclone fans, which is no surprise...lol, is that Betsy let a win slip from their grasp. Congratulations to the Lady Devils for hitting the big shots and doing what it took to win with the opportunities Betsy gave you.

Now, here is what i think. Unicoi County is the favorite to win the conference this year and winning this game is a big step in that direction. However, the margin and what Unicoi County had to do to pull out a win on their home floor should be cause for concern in Devil Land. Unicoi County is a veteran team that has played varsity ball together for years. They are a well-oiled machine playing at a high level. Elizabethton is basically the jv team of the last two years with 8 varsity games under their belt as starters and a 3-5 record so far. Four of Elizabethton's losses have been very close to 4 very good teams on neutral courts or on the road (North Greene, Cloudland, Greeneville, and Unicoi County). I say all that to say that I believe Elizabethton has a higher upside or ceiling than most of the teams they have lost to. As these 5 juniors, two sophomores, and one freshman develop chemistry and gain experience they will get much better. They have yet to even play a home game. I believe that by the time we reach the district tournament Elizabethton will be a great team, capable of beating any of the teams that they have lost to early. I may be wrong, but you asked me what I thought. Time will tell.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to work late in Hawkins County and could not make the game. I did talk to several people that were there and the general consensus among Cyclone fans, which is no surprise...lol, is that Betsy let a win slip from their grasp. Congratulations to the Lady Devils for hitting the big shots and doing what it took to win with the opportunities Betsy gave you.

Now, here is what i think. Unicoi County is the favorite to win the conference this year and winning this game is a big step in that direction. However, the margin and what Unicoi County had to do to pull out a win on their home floor should be cause for concern in Devil Land. Unicoi County is a veteran team that has played varsity ball together for years. They are a well-oiled machine playing at a high level. Elizabethton is basically the jv team of the last two years with 8 varsity games under their belt as starters and a 3-5 record so far. Four of Elizabethton's losses have been very close to 4 very good teams on neutral courts or on the road (North Greene, Cloudland, Greeneville, and Unicoi County). I say all that to say that I believe Elizabethton has a higher upside or ceiling than most of the teams they have lost to. As these 5 juniors, two sophomores, and one freshman develop chemistry and gain experience they will get much better. They have yet to even play a home game. I believe that by the time we reach the district tournament Elizabethton will be a great team, capable of beating any of the teams that they have lost to early. I may be wrong, but you asked me what I thought. Time will tell.

This probably won't surprise anyone either, but I agree with your assessment coachh. Furthermore, Coach Epperson indicated (in newspaper interview) this win was a "stepping stone" for the UC program to get back where they want to be. Congrats to him and his team for breaking the losing streak, but the come from behind narrow margin victory on their home floor may indicate the Lady Devils have more work to do in order to unseat the Lady Clones at the top of the TRC (at least perenially). Time will certainly tell what this year has in store. Regardless, if memory serves me, UC will only have 2 of their top 5 players returning next year, i.e. Edwards and Gardner. On the other hand, Besty will be returning all of their current players (Jones is still sidelined with an injury).

Coachh and Sparky you certainly have your orange colored glasses on; thats okay, its better than having you crow over another win by Eliz.

Sparky since you brought up the newspaper article, would you or coachh answer this, what in the sam hill was Dugger talking about when he compared missing layups, FTs, and not defending the perimeter to having baby rabbit or bird in your hand and letting it go?? I thought it was good to let a young bird or rabbit live?

Is Dugger saying if you have a baby bird or rabbit, you should kill it? Help me out here I dont understand his coachspeak here.

And coachh you remember back in the early 2000s when Eliz had Unicoi in their sights, and let them escape with wins, time after time......until the worm turned and Eliz finally got over the hump about 6-7 yrs ago; since then Eliz has won the close games most every time. I remember Unicoi blowing a 10 pt lead in the last minute in the regional semis about five years ago. Well perhaps the worm is turning again back our way. Time will tell buy as coach E said, this is a good start. Go Big Blue.

Coachh and Sparky you certainly have your orange colored glasses on; thats okay, its better than having you crow over another win by Eliz.

Sparky since you brought up the newspaper article, would you or coachh answer this, what in the sam hill was Dugger talking about when he compared missing layups, FTs, and not defending the perimeter to having baby rabbit or bird in your hand and letting it go?? I thought it was good to let a young bird or rabbit live?

Is Dugger saying if you have a baby bird or rabbit, you should kill it? Help me out here I dont understand his coachspeak here.

And coachh you remember back in the early 2000s when Eliz had Unicoi in their sights, and let them escape with wins, time after time......until the worm turned and Eliz finally got over the hump about 6-7 yrs ago; since then Eliz has won the close games most every time. I remember Unicoi blowing a 10 pt lead in the last minute in the regional semis about five years ago. Well perhaps the worm is turning again back our way. Time will tell buy as coach E said, this is a good start. Go Big Blue.

I don't think I wear my orange-colored glasses any more than you wear your blue-colored glasses. I acknowledged way before last night's game that common sense would support favoring UC this year in the TRC. The Lady Devils won the battle last night but the war has yet to be decided. Inevitably, the war will be won on the court (not on coacht or any other social media/blog). Having said that, one victory may be a start but it's certainly no indication the tide is shifting to a period of UC dominance. Even if UC gets the best of Betsy this year, I wouldn't bet on that continuing. I explained my rationale partially for this position in a previous post, i.e. returning players for each team next year. Further support for the idea that UC's position at the top may be short-lived has to do with the talent coming from the middle schools in the next couple of years. If the current circumstances translate at the high school level, Betsy's future is looking bright...again, time will tell.

Regarding Dugger's comments to the media, I interpret the analogy of holding a bird or rabbit in one's hands and letting it go (not on purpose) as a comparison to the Betsy girls having a victory over UC in their grasp and letting it slip away by failing to execute, i.e. missed FTs, poor defense on critical possessions, etc.

Limestone,

I remember the late 90's through 2005 very well. Unicoi County dominated this rivalry at the middle and high school levels until about 1998. I may be off a year or two, but I believe T.A. Dugger began beating Vance and Unicoi Co. in 1999 and won a couple of Middle Seven Conference titles/tournaments. Unicoi County's dominance continued at the high school level until around 2003. At that time, I looked at both programs talent level and predicted that Unicoi's future was going to be orange and black. Elizabethton's numerous district titles, regional titles, 7 sub-state appearances, and 3 state tournament appearances seem to bear that out.

I have to agree with sparky. We both have a pair of orange glasses. This year will be a battle and Unicoi County may come out on top. I am betting it is a one year event. Betsy returns its entire team next year and Unicoi will lose three key seniors. Freshman Alexis Bowers is going to be a very good player for three more years. T.A. Dugger's current 8th grade team is loaded with talent that will be able to contribute at the varsity level as sophomores. I am sensing another long run of success by the orange and black.