Best state champions

WoodlawnFalcons

RedRobbun eye don't thank Bernard and tha boys down att tha stait offuss uhgree wif that....Mairvul iz playin wif inn tha TSSAA rulz.....and at leest one ov yore D2 skools that play bye tha "same rules" iz inn tha Nashvull Tinnerseeun sports paige today, maybee knott playin bye tha saim rulz..... :popcorneater:

I am not accusing Maryville of abusing the rules - I understand them to be a fine upstanding program. I am simply pointing out that the rules for Division 1 allow open zoned schools to play against traditionally zoned schools. I know some on these boards will argue that there is no advantage to the open zoned schools; I think the sustained success of Maryville, Alcoa, Greeneville (which I believe are all open zoned) would indicate that the open zones have a decided advantage against their traditionally zoned rivals. Again, no disrespect meant to any of these fine programs - I like good football no matter who is playing it - just wanted to make sure we were all aware that not all Division 1 programs can draw county-wide. I know y'all have a running battle with the Rutherford schools, but truth be told, I shudder to think of the program(s) that might emerge if Rutherford County went to the open-zoning concept.

I am not accusing Maryville of abusing the rules - I understand them to be a fine upstanding program. I am simply pointing out that the rules for Division 1 allow open zoned schools to play against traditionally zoned schools. I know some on these boards will argue that there is no advantage to the open zoned schools; I think the sustained success of Maryville, Alcoa, Greeneville (which I believe are all open zoned) would indicate that the open zones have a decided advantage against their traditionally zoned rivals. Again, no disrespect meant to any of these fine programs - I like good football no matter who is playing it - just wanted to make sure we were all aware that not all Division 1 programs can draw county-wide. I know y'all have a running battle with the Rutherford schools, but truth be told, I shudder to think of the program(s) that might emerge if Rutherford County went to the open-zoning concept.

Your last 2 post contridict yourself there RedRobin. You first says "open zoned schools play by different rules than most of the schools against whom they compete for D1 State Championships" and then your next post you say "the rules for Division 1 allow open zoned schools to play against traditionally zoned schools" so infact all schools in D1 are playing by the same rules. No one complained about Greeneville being an open zoned schools until they stopped playing against schools twice their size. No one complains about the South Greene's, Chuckey-Doaks, Marion Co., etc. that aren't winning like other open zoned schools. If a program has success then kids will come no matter if they are opened zoned or not. Greeneville is one of the largest county in TN (624 sq. miles), Kids that are zoned for a certain school might have a 30-45 min to their zoned school or a 5-10 min drive to GHS so they choose to attend GHS.

I think you are right to a certain degree even though you paint such a rosy picture of the kid who cuts his drive time by 30 min in Greeneville due to open zoning. Open enrollroment Absolutely has helped certain schools become athletic powerhouses. I have no problem with that and this issue has also been hashed out over and over again. I just lose a bit of my head when someone from an open enrollment school starts to take shots at the d2 privates for what they call "recruiting". I live in Davidson County and I am exactly 3.2 miles from Brentwood High School and 12 miles from Hillsboro where my kids are zoned. If all of a sudden Williamson county opened up zoning to my neighborhood , my kids would more than likely go to Brentwood High School. I would be more than happy to write the $500 check. I am sure 99% of the parents near me who have kids at Hillsboro would write the check for 5 times that....If maryville and Alcoa win the next 10 state championships you can bet that somewhere down the road tssaa will change the rules for separate open enrollment schools from the traditional zoned schools. I certainly dont blame Maryville as they are now playing in the highest division possible and still winning. From a selfish football fan standpoint it makes sense to combine privates with open enrollment schools but this will never happen in my lifetime but would make for better football. You want to know what helped killed Hillsboro as a state football powerhouse ... Anyone who lives here knows it was redistricting ....kids were grandfathered in but no new exceptions to the zoning rules. Try to gain an exception in Nashville for ELEMENTARY or MIDDLE SCHOOL to go to school outside of your zone and see how easy it is! My only reason for writing the post on the asterisk was to say don't be a hypocrit, not to somehow diminish the accomplishments of Maryville or Alcoa. Maryville and Alcoa are good schools and parents send there kids there for academics, environment and athletics.

I know many of you have read the article below about teams not wanting to schedule Alcoa. I bet Alcoa looks a lot like Brentwood Academy when you compare the schools enrollment and the number of kids playing football. There are less than 500 students in 9-12 at Brentwood Academy half of which are boys. 90% of the kids who attend school there live within a 15 minute drive of the school with traffic. The stats below from the article could very well be ......replace Alcoa with BA or Ensworth. We have a football league here for the privates that starts in 6th grade, so boys begin playing for their schools in the Southwest Nashville football league. Brentwood academy's 6th grade team was undefeated during the regular season and lost to Ensworth in the championship game. BA won the 7th grade league championship and I believe 8th grade too. The school that feeds into Hillsboro plays as well, the 6th grade team won 1 game. Most of the good athletes from their feeder school go on to private. In my mind there is not much difference. I drive 10 minutes and pay more money for my kid to attend private school. My choice , your choice... Maryville and Alcoa have dominated football in the divisions they play because they have had superior athletes and good coaching , but you can't win year end and year out without the best athletes. The funnel to both schools has been wide open there for quite some time now. As the article says winning breeds winning. $500 and a 20 min car ride is a small price to pay to win a state championship and have a shot if you are good enough to be noticed by a college and a full ride. I dont blame the parents just like I dont blame the few parents in Murfreesboro who decide to drive an hour every morning to Ensworth.

“Losing to them the last two seasons made us change some things we do in our off-season workouts,†Maryville coach George Quarles said. “They were just tougher and in better shape than us. We don’t typically see a better team all year than Alcoa, and that includes some of the teams that are about three times bigger. I’m not sure I want to see the team from their classification that can play with them.â€

Students who live outside Alcoa’s zone can pay $500 to attend. The football program’s success has drawn talented athletes from other zones willing to pay the tuition in exchange for a better chance of winning a championship or being noticed by college recruiters. With 96 players currently going through summer workouts, 40 percent of Alcoa’s male student population is on the football roster.

“Kids want to go where they know they’re going to win, so as long as you’re willing to drive a little further to school, $500 is a small price to pay for what’s a pretty safe bet on a state championship,†said Polk County coach Derrick Davis, whose team competes in Class 3A. “They’re not doing anything illegal. Winning breeds winning, so they’re just taking the kids who come to them.

“You think their run will end at some point but when? Everything we hear is that their middle school guys coming up are more talented than any bunch they’ve had.â€

Your last 2 post contridict yourself there RedRobin. You first says "open zoned schools play by different rules than most of the schools against whom they compete for D1 State Championships" and then your next post you say "the rules for Division 1 allow open zoned schools to play against traditionally zoned schools" so infact all schools in D1 are playing by the same rules. No one complained about Greeneville being an open zoned schools until they stopped playing against schools twice their size. No one complains about the South Greene's, Chuckey-Doaks, Marion Co., etc. that aren't winning like other open zoned schools. If a program has success then kids will come no matter if they are opened zoned or not. Greeneville is one of the largest county in TN (624 sq. miles), Kids that are zoned for a certain school might have a 30-45 min to their zoned school or a 5-10 min drive to GHS so they choose to attend GHS.

Edited by BIGANTUT74

I think you are right to a certain degree even though you paint such a rosy picture of the kid who cuts his drive time by 30 min in Greeneville due to open zoning. Open enrollroment Absolutely has helped certain schools become athletic powerhouses. I have no problem with that and this issue has also been hashed out over and over again. I just lose a bit of my head when someone from an open enrollment school starts to take shots at the d2 privates for what they call "recruiting". I live in Davidson County and I am exactly 3.2 miles from Brentwood High School and 12 miles from Hillsboro where my kids are zoned. If all of a sudden Williamson county opened up zoning to my neighborhood , my kids would more than likely go to Brentwood High School. I would be more than happy to write the $500 check. I am sure 99% of the parents near me who have kids at Hillsboro would write the check for 5 times that....If maryville and Alcoa win the next 10 state championships you can bet that somewhere down the road tssaa will change the rules for separate open enrollment schools from the traditional zoned schools. I certainly dont blame Maryville as they are now playing in the highest division possible and still winning. From a selfish football fan standpoint it makes sense to combine privates with open enrollment schools but this will never happen in my lifetime but would make for better football. You want to know what helped killed Hillsboro as a state football powerhouse ... Anyone who lives here knows it was redistricting ....kids were grandfathered in but no new exceptions to the zoning rules. Try to gain an exception in Nashville for ELEMENTARY or MIDDLE SCHOOL to go to school outside of your zone and see how easy it is! My only reason for writing the post on the asterisk was to say don't be a hypocrit, not to somehow diminish the accomplishments of Maryville or Alcoa. Maryville and Alcoa are good schools and parents send there kids there for academics, environment and athletics.

I know many of you have read the article below about teams not wanting to schedule Alcoa. I bet Alcoa looks a lot like Brentwood Academy when you compare the schools enrollment and the number of kids playing football. There are less than 500 students in 9-12 at Brentwood Academy half of which are boys. 90% of the kids who attend school there live within a 15 minute drive of the school with traffic. The stats below from the article could very well be ......replace Alcoa with BA or Ensworth. We have a football league here for the privates that starts in 6th grade, so boys begin playing for their schools in the Southwest Nashville football league. Brentwood academy's 6th grade team was undefeated during the regular season and lost to Ensworth in the championship game. BA won the 7th grade league championship and I believe 8th grade too. The school that feeds into Hillsboro plays as well, the 6th grade team won 1 game. Most of the good athletes from their feeder school go on to private. In my mind there is not much difference. I drive 10 minutes and pay more money for my kid to attend private school. My choice , your choice... Maryville and Alcoa have dominated football in the divisions they play because they have had superior athletes and good coaching , but you can't win year end and year out without the best athletes. The funnel to both schools has been wide open there for quite some time now. As the article says winning breeds winning. $500 and a 20 min car ride is a small price to pay to win a state championship and have a shot if you are good enough to be noticed by a college and a full ride. I dont blame the parents just like I dont blame the few parents in Murfreesboro who decide to drive an hour every morning to Ensworth.

“Losing to them the last two seasons made us change some things we do in our off-season workouts,†Maryville coach George Quarles said. “They were just tougher and in better shape than us. We don’t typically see a better team all year than Alcoa, and that includes some of the teams that are about three times bigger. I’m not sure I want to see the team from their classification that can play with them.â€

Students who live outside Alcoa’s zone can pay $500 to attend. The football program’s success has drawn talented athletes from other zones willing to pay the tuition in exchange for a better chance of winning a championship or being noticed by college recruiters. With 96 players currently going through summer workouts, 40 percent of Alcoa’s male student population is on the football roster.

“Kids want to go where they know they’re going to win, so as long as you’re willing to drive a little further to school, $500 is a small price to pay for what’s a pretty safe bet on a state championship,†said Polk County coach Derrick Davis, whose team competes in Class 3A. “They’re not doing anything illegal. Winning breeds winning, so they’re just taking the kids who come to them.

“You think their run will end at some point but when? Everything we hear is that their middle school guys coming up are more talented than any bunch they’ve had.â€

"And eye jist love tha garbige servuss inn Mairvul....Aftur we compleated tha STARSNBARS applicashun wif our son's 40 time and Wait Rume numburrs we wuz accepted and our garbige can nevur runs ovur"......phicksed...... :popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

Thankfully Maryville beat them this year to stop the dynasty.. Those rings were starting to add up.

Most high school athletes like to emulate college or professional players, and Alcoa has taken care of those desires by signing an endorsement contract with Under Armour to provide workout gear, uniforms and accessories.

All players also receive gold championship rings each season the team wins a title. Head coach Gary Rankin estimates the jewelry cost during the seven-year championship stretch to be around $180,000. He said the money for the rings comes from donations from local businesses, parents and boosters as well as the city school system.

The team’s latest championship ring simply had the word “Dynasty†inscribed.

I dont disagree or have anything against those whom decide to send their kids to a private school. Speaking from a personal viewpoint, I received a brochure after my 8th grade football season from a particular private school that I am not going to name offering some pretty good perks, not money or anything but ride to and from and stuff like that. My Dad left the decision up to me, I felt an obligation to the kids I have played ball w/ since I was 5-6 years old. That along w/ a lot of pride in my hometown school. In other words there was no way I was gonna turn my back on my friends/teammates which is how I saw it at that time.....