ENSWORTH OR MARYVILLE

Vols1234

:popcorneater:

I'm going through football withdrawals so I'm still reading through the "T" and found this thread. I have a bias towards Maryville because I live in E.TN and have seen them play dozens of times. They are THE standard of football programs in this neck of the woods. I also have a bias for D1 privates because my son has played for 1 the past 4 years and I understand the scrutiny and critique we get from other publics despite the multiplier. I have no dog in the hunt with the D2's, but I must say that on a visit to the Ensworth campus a year ago that I was very impressed with the facilities, including the football field. After watching the championship games I came away very impressed with Ensworth and naturally thought of what a matchup with them and Maryville would be like. My opinion of Maryville after many years of watching them is that it is difficult for others (including myself) to predict how they would far against other elite teams from out of state or in TN D2's. Coach Quarrels and his staff emphasis team, execution and efficiency along with details such as limiting turnovers, penalties and good special teams play. I have never seen a Maryville team that I would consider flashy or one that intentionally ran up the score. Maryville has left many many style points on the field in favor of good sportsmanship and developing the younger players, and I respect that. But I know I have seen them enough that I wouldn't bet against them against anyone. They seem to be able to raise their game to what ever level they need to. Although, I watched Alcoa beat them 2 consecutive years recently and Maryville had no answers. (those Alcoa teams were a BEAST and I would have loved to watch that team play any of the D2's). At any rate, I think both Ensworth and Maryville had outstanding teams this year and it would be a heck of a game if those 2 met. As far as Ensworth having the opportunity to play in the Blount County Bowl and declining, that doesn't really affect my impression one way or the other. The deal for that game is that you have to commit to a 2 year deal and both games are in Maryville. I know the traveling team gets paid around $3500 for expenses and all, but money is certainly no issue at all at Ensworth. Neither school or coach owes anything to the other and that is who is making the decisions. It does give Maryville Fan something to poke Ensworth Fan about, but thats about it. Anyway, I enjoy reading the "T" and about these mythical match ups. Maybe it will happen someday and during a time when both teams are strong. :thumb:

Ensworth was invtied to play in the Blount Co. Classic to play Maryville this year and next year play Alcoa. They turned it down because they wanted a home and home series is what I heard which was not point of the Classic. Cleveland took over for their spot.

So Maryville did not want to play Ensworth at their place and Ensworth did not wish to play in the Blount Co. Classic as they where already in negotiation to play MUS on that Friday.

Edited by TheRealTruth

Can't argue with you on that point.

Yo Bro , you want an opinion ? Ok , here's my opinion ... There is no way on earth that Maryville's Defense this year would of given up 42 points to any team in the State ... except maybe the Titans ..lol . I don't care how bad the refs cheated ( lol , the old refs cheated ... love it ) Maryville would not have given up 42 points to anyone . I'm not saying Ensworth wouldn't win the game , just no way Maryville gives up that many points . I've now saw "Fluke" and the "refs Cheated" to explain how a team that is so superior to Maryville got beat 42-14 ... any other excuses out there ? :roflol:

Great post.

I'm going through football withdrawals so I'm still reading through the "T" and found this thread. I have a bias towards Maryville because I live in E.TN and have seen them play dozens of times. They are THE standard of football programs in this neck of the woods. I also have a bias for D1 privates because my son has played for 1 the past 4 years and I understand the scrutiny and critique we get from other publics despite the multiplier. I have no dog in the hunt with the D2's, but I must say that on a visit to the Ensworth campus a year ago that I was very impressed with the facilities, including the football field. After watching the championship games I came away very impressed with Ensworth and naturally thought of what a matchup with them and Maryville would be like. My opinion of Maryville after many years of watching them is that it is difficult for others (including myself) to predict how they would far against other elite teams from out of state or in TN D2's. Coach Quarrels and his staff emphasis team, execution and efficiency along with details such as limiting turnovers, penalties and good special teams play. I have never seen a Maryville team that I would consider flashy or one that intentionally ran up the score. Maryville has left many many style points on the field in favor of good sportsmanship and developing the younger players, and I respect that. But I know I have seen them enough that I wouldn't bet against them against anyone. They seem to be able to raise their game to what ever level they need to. Although, I watched Alcoa beat them 2 consecutive years recently and Maryville had no answers. (those Alcoa teams were a BEAST and I would have loved to watch that team play any of the D2's). At any rate, I think both Ensworth and Maryville had outstanding teams this year and it would be a heck of a game if those 2 met. As far as Ensworth having the opportunity to play in the Blount County Bowl and declining, that doesn't really affect my impression one way or the other. The deal for that game is that you have to commit to a 2 year deal and both games are in Maryville. I know the traveling team gets paid around $3500 for expenses and all, but money is certainly no issue at all at Ensworth. Neither school or coach owes anything to the other and that is who is making the decisions. It does give Maryville Fan something to poke Ensworth Fan about, but thats about it. Anyway, I enjoy reading the "T" and about these mythical match ups. Maybe it will happen someday and during a time when both teams are strong. :thumb:

Sorry not the st Xavier I am talking about.. Trinity beat that st Xavier you mention twice. 41-6, 42-6. St Xavier score with two min left in first game and on a turnover in second one. They played the toughest schedule in the nation this year.

Eye wushed Endswerth wooda come two Mairvul on Awgust 20...Butt tha didun't....Eye saw whur Trinity beet St.Ex....Well eye thank Riverdail beet tham bye 2 tds...So whoop-de-freakin-do.... :popcorneater:

FD......thanks fer yore smart werds... :thumb:

Sorry not the st Xavier I am talking about.. Trinity beat that st Xavier you mention twice. 41-6, 42-6. St Xavier score with two min left in first game and on a turnover in second one. They played the toughest schedule in the nation this year.

Well clost enuff....Mairvul beet Riverdail 42-14....And Riverdail beet which evur St. Ex 23-9.... :popcorneater:

So Maryville did not want to play Ensworth at their place and Ensworth did not wish to play in the Blount Co. Classic as they where already in negotiation to play MUS on that Friday.

Its not that Maryville didn't want to play Ensworth at their place, they had already set up a deal with Webb, Alcoa and supposedly Ensworth until Ensworth backed out because they didn't want a 2 away games even tho it would have been against Maryville this year and Alcoa Next year. They would have been given 3,500 for travel expenses also (Though Ensworth wouldn't need it). Just don't try to say Maryville didn't try to play you :thumb:

Edited by Swipes

Eye wushed Endswerth wooda come two Mairvul on Awgust 20...Butt tha didun't....Eye saw whur Trinity beet St.Ex....Well eye thank Riverdail beet tham bye 2 tds...So whoop-de-freakin-do.... :popcorneater:

Trinity, KY beat St. X, KY by 5+ TDs twice. Riverdale beat St. X by 2 TDs. St. X, KY finished at 8-5. Maryville played Alcoa down the street that day and won by 1 TD. Alcoa finished 8-5...So whoop-de-freakin-do....

I would rather see Trinity play Maryville. The best in TN vs. the best in KY.

Edited by TheRealTruth

Its not that Maryville didn't want to play Ensworth at their place, they had already set up a deal with Webb, Alcoa and supposedly Ensworth until Ensworth backed out because they didn't want a 2 away games even tho it would have been against Maryville this year and Alcoa Next year. They would have been given 3,500 for travel expenses also (Though Ensworth wouldn't need it). Just don't try to say Maryville didn't try to play you :thumb:

Again, Ensworth was working on deal with MUS as well.