BA about to get serious with football/basketball coaching search

Rainwater

For all you McCallie fans that are excited about Coach Potter heading home, BA is about to get to the business. So who are your top candidates for the job?

Here is just a small list :

1. David Pack - HC at FRA. MBA alum. Knows the landscape, expectations, and the whole deal. Don't know if he can leave the guaranteed $ from Crockett and Co. over at FRA, but I would expect him to get a call.

2. Paul Wade - OC at Ensworth. 8 championships with 4 different schools. Would like to see him get a shot at the big time with the big boys. Both Bowers and Pack would endorse him for the position.

3. Philip Shadowens - rumors have been circulating that he would be interested in a high profile private school coaching gig. I could see this happening.

4. Jeff Rutledge - HC at PJPII - Bet he is ready to leave that sinking ship in football and head for greener pastures.

Good luck to the Eagles on their search.

Edited by SmokeStackI

For all you McCallie fans that are excited about Coach Potter heading home, BA is about to get to the business. So who are your top candidates for the job?

Here is just a small list :

1. David Pack - HC at FRA. BA alum. Knows the landscape, expectations, and the whole deal. Don't know if he can leave the guaranteed $ from Crockett and Co. over at FRA, but I would expect him to get a call.

2. Paul Wade - OC at Ensworth. 8 championships with 4 different schools. Would like to see him get a shot at the big time with the big boys. Both Bowers and Pack would endorse him for the position.

3. Philip Shadowens - rumors have been circulating that he would be interested in a high profile private school coaching gig. I could see this happening.

4. Jeff Rutledge - HC at PJPII - Bet he is ready to leave that sinking ship in football and head for greener pastures.

Good luck to the Eagles on their search.

Rutledge had expressed interest in BA while he was at MBA. He would be a good bet.

Pack is not a BA alum; he's from MBA (Class of '80).

As a BA alum as well as a supporter I would love to see Coach Wade over here. That guys is a proven winner everywhere he goes. Plus everything I have heard about him, he seems to be a great person as well. I am very interested to see who they get over here once they get rid of the entire Basketball coaching staff. I was at the game last Friday and the duo they had over at USN was impressive. Coach Adam Sonn now has Vincent Yarbrough as an assistant! Would love to see what they could here.

Would BA consider pursuing Gary Rankin? Just asking don't really know.

I would view Coach Rankin as a very interesting candidate. His coaching record speaks for itself, and he's a Middle Tennessee guy. I have no information to suggest that he would be interested in the job, but it would be worth a phone call.

What is the possibility of Coach Flatt back as Athletic Director with a different head coach?

Also, any former QB of the Eagles would be welcome for me. Kent Austin would be ideal, Jeff Brothers is an outstanding coach and man(turned around a NCS program quickly- and knows talent a la Golden Tate) Mike MacIntyre would be obviously welcome, John Patton would be a possible assistant?

Trust me, I know nothing about who would be the best- for I am not an expert in 15-18 year old kids and the current situation needed of the school. I am just seeing people's thoughts of the former QBs bringing it back.

Also, who is leading the track program now that Harper has retired?

What is the possibility of Coach Flatt back as Athletic Director with a different head coach?

Also, any former QB of the Eagles would be welcome for me. Kent Austin would be ideal, Jeff Brothers is an outstanding coach and man(turned around a NCS program quickly- and knows talent a la Golden Tate) Mike MacIntyre would be obviously welcome, John Patton would be a possible assistant?

Trust me, I know nothing about who would be the best- for I am not an expert in 15-18 year old kids and the current situation needed of the school. I am just seeing people's thoughts of the former QBs bringing it back.

Also, who is leading the track program now that Harper has retired?

Coach Flatt has been nothing but gracious to me and his wife is a saint. However, I think it's in BA's best interest to look to the future instead of the past, unless it can pull an Austin or a MacIntyre, whose credentials are impeccable. I would look for BA to explore a wide pool of candidates, many of whom are from other states. Some Tennessee names that intrigue me: Rankin (Alcoa), Quarles (Maryville), Ingle Martin (did great things at CPA in his first year...probably not ready for a job of this caliber yet though), Jeff Rutledge (was very interested last time).

Edited by WesVLT

To answer your last question first, Marshall Smith is the head of the BA track program. He's a BA alum who has done an excellent job getting results while winning the favor/respect of his runners. Cathy Cheeseman leads the girls' program.

Coach Flatt has been nothing but gracious to me and his wife is a saint. However, I think it's in BA's best interest to look to the future instead of the past, unless it can pull an Austin or a MacIntyre, whose credentials are impeccable. I would look for BA to explore a wide pool of candidates, many of whom are from other states. Some Tennessee names that intrigue me: Rankin (Alcoa), Quarles (Maryville), Ingle Martin (did great things at CPA in his first year...probably not ready for a job of this caliber yet though), Jeff Rutledge (was very interested last time).

Actually Wes, Brad Perry is going to be the new Track and Field Coach. Marshall is the Cross Country coach, and will continue to work with the distance runners.