BA about to get serious with football/basketball coaching search

Rainwater

Coach Rutledge is all about himself and what he has done as a player because when you get past that there is not much there.

Rutledge would not mesh with the current BA coaching staff. Even though he has coached with 2 of them before at MBA. I witnessed the last 4 BA/JP2 games BA won all 4 by 5+ touchdowns. Rutledge walked off the field after the game and made a beeline for exit. He did not shake the BA coaches hands. I would think the friction that this ignorance stirred up would be a hard pill for the BA asst coaches to swallow with Rutledge as HC.

PSU is right. The parents here at JPII would gladly let him out of his contract to move on to BA. Man this would be good for JPII on both sides. (Get rid of a bad coach and give him to another school in our district)

All you have to do is look at your own stats. Won at MBA first two years then went downhill from there. He wins with other coaches teams. As he goes down the road his teams get worse. Just look back and see if I am not right. I have looked at all his coaching stats. He took a bad team at JPII and has just made them worse.

We thought his big name would really bring in the kids. This has not happened at all. Man you can only show a kid a super bowl ring so many times. Kids don't want to know what you have done but what you will do for them and the team. Coach Rutledge is all about himself and what he has done as a player because when you get past that there is not much there.

But if you would like for us to brag about him so he can get the BA job please just let us know. We will be happy to oblige.

Welcome aboard Big Dog!! First of all, I'm pretty well certain there are more than just the two that would like to see him at BA... I suppose all the new facilities and field turf went in because he has been doing such a bad job, in your opinion. I have a great deal of respect for JPII, they have an uphill battle in this division, but I see players who stick with their program and work hard every year to make it better. It takes time and as they grow over the years, these young men will find more and more success as they stick together.

You say you have studied the stats; I gave specific examples about his record. Tell me what I missed? I see that in a five year or so span, the man won two state titles, which is a pretty darn good percentage. He had one down year during that time. Even BA has had down years. I think KWood said it pretty well earlier when, as an MBA fan, he would hate to see him at BA. His comments are usually very insightful. I also said earlier that I would not have a problem with promoting from within. If we were to do so, it needs to be someone with a great offensive mind, because Coach Potter handled most of that himself. This was a big part of his downfall. We are LOADED with defensive minds, great line coaches on both sides and we have a strength and conditioning program like no one else. Defense has not been our problem, an unpredictable offense has been. This is why I have looked for a person who has had success in their career, on the offensive side of the ball. A good place to start is someone who played at the highest levels and won. It is also a pretty good bet to find someone who has won as a coach. Look, he beat BA time and time again. If you beat coach Flatt, you have achieved something in the first place. To say Coach Rutledge is a horrible coach is the same as saying Coach Flatt was in his final years too. That makes no sense at all.

However, every time I mention Coach Rutledge, I get very sketchy, disparaging comments about him from people who seem to have an axe to grind. I don’t see a ground swell of that from people who have been on here for a while. Those things have caused me to take a closer look at the man and I think he would be an even better fit for us than I originally thought. I was just throwing a name out at first. I have never met the man, but I like what I have found out thus far. Tell me what I missed..

I see that in a five year or so span, the man won two state titles, which is a pretty darn good percentage. He had one down year during that time. Even BA has had down years.

Rutledge's final year was 4-6. That was the year MBA had a catastrophic series of injuries. Everybody has injuries; I recognize that's no excuse. But this was a rash of injuries I haven't seen in 40 years of following MBA football. At QB alone, they were in a position of having to run the single wing because they no longer had anyone capable of lining up as a traditional QB. When running at something close to full strength, this team came from behind in the 4th quarter to beat Trinity in Louisville.

As to the situation at JP II, I have to confess ignorance. Perhaps he's changed, or perhaps he doesn't fit the culture of the school. Perhaps there's a lot of frustration because he lacks the talent or resources he had at MBA. I have no idea. But I suspect he's still a good coach, and I'd rather him be up near Center Point than out on Granny White.

Rutledge's final year was 4-6. That was the year MBA had a catastrophic series of injuries. Everybody has injuries; I recognize that's no excuse. But this was a rash of injuries I haven't seen in 40 years of following MBA football. At QB alone, they were in a position of having to run the single wing because they no longer had anyone capable of lining up as a traditional QB. When running at something close to full strength, this team came from behind in the 4th quarter to beat Trinity in Louisville.

As to the situation at JP II, I have to confess ignorance. Perhaps he's changed, or perhaps he doesn't fit the culture of the school. Perhaps there's a lot of frustration because he lacks the talent or resources he had at MBA. I have no idea. But I suspect he's still a good coach, and I'd rather him be up near Center Point than out on Granny White.

Thanks KWood for your honesty. You almost encourage me to be an MBA fan for just a minute,,, but nah, I can't do that. lol You do call it like it is, even if it might be bad for your team and you deserve kudos for that. We are just bystanders and not the decision makers for sure. This is a great avenue to learn more about what is really going on in our respective programs and be a tiny voice toward what we think is best for them.

Guess Potter moonlights on the side as a NFL official....worked the Titans/Colts game yeasterday. See picture 9 of 48 in the Tennessean sports picture gallery:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20111219/SPORTS01/312190020/Colts-first-win-Titans-worst-game-?odyssey=mod|breaking|img|FRONTPAGE

Too funny! That really does look like him. Guess that is why the Titans lost too....

Any news out of BA? Speaking from Gary Rankiin's perspective....despite the down year he is happy in Alcoa and Alcoa is LUCKY to have Gary. Gary ain't going any where. What I'm trying to figure out is why BA isn't going after Pack? I know the FRA folks and they would fight hard for him but if BA called that'd be interesting.

What I'm trying to figure out is how you "know" they are not interested in Pack?

Sounds like you know some inside info....you mind sharing? or you just speculating?

Pure speculation as I am not an insider. I do have a very close friend and ex-coworker that has very close ties to FRA and I get my middle TN info from him. I have nothing specific on Pack, I am a fan and was just curious.

Charlie Ward?

I wonder if this guess warrants a little more consideration. Ward is the current head football coach at Westbury Christian school in Houston which is a small, independent Christian school that focuses on three areas of emphasis -- Spiritual, Academic, and Student Activities (sounds familiar . . .). He got out of professional coaching (NBA) after the 2007 season and accepted the job as head coach at Wesbury Christian, stating that "... his desire is to help prepare young minds for Christ."

Interesting . . .

I wonder if this guess warrants a little more consideration. Ward is the current head football coach at Westbury Christian school in Houston which is a small, independent Christian school that focuses on three areas of emphasis -- Spiritual, Academic, and Student Activities (sounds familiar . . .). He got out of professional coaching (NBA) after the 2007 season and accepted the job as head coach at Wesbury Christian, stating that "... his desire is to help prepare young minds for Christ."

Interesting . . .

I dont think he would be a good hire. BA needs a proven coach with a strong local reputation to keep the faithful happy.

I dont think he would be a good hire. BA needs a proven coach with a strong local reputation to keep the faithful happy.

YOU might think so, but some rumors say that ward was not only here at BA in the last 2 wks but the head master went to TX this past wk. I have 5 football players at my house as i type this and they all say the same thing but who knows, maybe just rumors but the foremost qualification for the job, and i heard this 1st hand, is the next coach must 1st and foremost be a strong christ follower. Charlie fits that mold. Again only hearing some rumors and could all be nothing. That said, i would be surprised if this is not resolved within the 1st 1-2 wks after the holiday break