CPA in King of Bluegrass Tourney

CPA4Ever

My grandson is on that team and he plays there because of the quality of coaching and was not recruited.Good coaching does not need recruiting....maybe your team should try it.

Congrats on the win and your grandson being on the team, but if you think CPA isn't recruiting players you're just kidding yourself.

Edited by DoyleHargravesConstruction

Good Luck to CPA! I hope that you keep representing the state of Tennessee in such a strong fashion up in the Blue Grass state. If Rick Pitino was there last night then I'm sure he was impressed with Jalen Lindsey.

As a Louisville Cardinals fan I'd love to see him dominating in the KFC YUM Center! in a few years :thumb:

You think this program represents Tennessee high school basketball because they win games?

Congrats on the win and your grandson being on the team, but if you think CPA isn't recruiting players you're just kidding yourself.

I have no need to kid myself nor anyone else. If making the situation attractive for a kid to want to be a part of the team/school and is within the TSSAA rules so be it. Hardly recruiting.

My grandson is on that team and he plays there because of the quality of coaching and was not recruited.Good coaching does not need recruiting....maybe your team should try it.

Yea, you are going to have to give more details on your grandson to know which of the groups he belongs in then cuz the three groups are those recruited, those who don’t need to be recruited to be on the team and those whose parent is hired on staff or provided a job. Its run like a college program and a college should be able to beat other high school teams, no big deal. This is no more than a AAU team disguised as a high school team and AAU is all about selection and recruiting. Yea, right, all of them by magic decided to continue on in high school together. A quote from the Louisville paper says it all. "Lindsey, who also had six rebounds and three blocks, is one of four sophomore starters who have played together in AAU ball under coach Drew Maddux since they were 10 years old. “Our chemistry is great,†Lindsey said. “And right now it’s better than I’ve ever seen.â€

You think this program represents Tennessee high school basketball because they win games?

I'm sure they do in fact do what you say HOWEVER are they the only ones doing so?????

I could give you a list of about 15-20 schools that this takes place at and refuse to take away from CPA's accomplishments when others are in the same boat.

Just because they win doesn't mean that you should "single them out".

I'm sure they do in fact do what you say HOWEVER are they the only ones doing so?????

I could give you a list of about 15-20 schools that this takes place at and refuse to take away from CPA's accomplishments when others are in the same boat.

Just because they win doesn't mean that you should "single them out".

Not singling them out cuz I'd feel the same way about all 15-20 schools, but for some reason their boys basketball is receiving the attention related to the subject. I am not reading consistently about 15-20 other programs or hear others talking about the other 15-20 programs. Can't agree it is an accomplishment by any of them no matter how many are doing it.

Yea, you are going to have to give more details on your grandson to know which of the groups he belongs in then cuz the three groups are those recruited, those who don’t need to be recruited to be on the team and those whose parent is hired on staff or provided a job. Its run like a college program and a college should be able to beat other high school teams, no big deal. This is no more than a AAU team disguised as a high school team and AAU is all about selection and recruiting. Yea, right, all of them by magic decided to continue on in high school together. A quote from the Louisville paper says it all. "Lindsey, who also had six rebounds and three blocks, is one of four sophomore starters who have played together in AAU ball under coach Drew Maddux since they were 10 years old. “Our chemistry is great,†Lindsey said. “And right now it’s better than I’ve ever seen.â€

For someone so knowledgeable I'm surprised you aren't aware a high school coach can't have players on his AAU team after they reach I believe 12 years old. My grandson is 16 so he was on other AAU teams....granted he played with some of his current team mates but that was by choice. My guess is it is quite all right if other high school coaches use their own time to coach AAU if they chose to.

Congrats to CPA. They are a very strong team and deserve to be acknowledged.

As far as recruiting it is time to call a spade a spade. CPA fans are constantly forced to defend the integrity of their team and school on these boards and in other public forums. Anyone can understand their protectiveness. However the facts speak for themselves. Much of the basketball roster at CPA is made up of students who have played AAU together for many years. Some of these students were not always enrolled at CPA. In addition CPA has had a couple players, former and current, who are at the school because of their relationship with Coach Maddux. It is hard to believe that a student from Greenbriar would transfer to south Nashville for any other reason.

According to the TSSAA handbook (available online for anyone to see) -

Recruiting includes -

3. Inducing or attempting to induce or encourage any prospective student-athlete to attend any member

school for the purpose of participating in athletics even when the special remuneration or inducement is

not given.

4. Any initial contact or prearranged contact by a member of a coaching staff or representative of the school

and a prospective student-athlete in the seventh grade and above.

In addition -

2. To avoid the appearance of impropriety, a coach who is contacted by any student or family or individual

about attending a school where he or she is the coach should inform that person that he or she needs to

contact the administrative official or officials of the school who normally deal with the admission process.

3. To avoid the appearance of impropriety, any meeting with coaches regarding athletes or prospective

athletes should be a part of the admissions process at the school and should take place at the school

As many of you probably know Coach Maddux is the Director of Enrollment (verifiable on CPA's website)for his school. This is, at best, a conflict of interest and most likely a clear attempt to circumnavigate the rules #2 and #3 listed above.

The argument is as simple as the evidence and rules. No deeper philosophical debate is needed. CPA has maneuvered itself within the grey areas of the TSSAA rule book to give themselves an advantage in obtaining students and student athletes. As they are a business it is understandable they would do whatever it takes to gain an advantage on their competition, whether through enrollment numbers, or the publicity garnered by consistently presenting outstanding athletic teams. These "reinterpretations" of the rules are common at all levels of business. From Enron to Lehman Brothers to Wal-mart. Our culture is survival of the fittest. CPA fits the bill.

Congrats to their success in Kentucky. While interestingly this is the first significant tournament victory for CPA in the Coach Maddux era, I can see this team making a deep run in March.