2011 TSWA 3a & 4a All-State Teams

MountainTroll

Congratulations to all the fellers who made the list. I'm sure we can all think of others who arguably should have been included, but props to the ones who were.:thumb:

Chattanooga TFP Article

Special congratulations to Reese Phillips, Jon Patton, Zach Bowman, and Elijah Turnage from Signal and all the other SE Tennessee players.:thumb:

Edited by MountainTroll
  • Upvote 1

Congratulations to all the fellers who made the list. I'm sure we can all think of others who arguably should have been included, but props to the ones who were.:thumb:

Chattanooga TFP Article

Special congratulations to Reese Phillips, Jon Patton, Zach Bowman, and Elijah Turnage from Signal and all the other SE Tennessee players.:thumb:

Glad those Eagles got the recognition they deserved. Our Devils were well represented with 9 players and Coach Ballard. Greene county is well represented in 2A, 3A, and 4A with at all 5 schools having at least 1 player selected...first time ever.

Chattanooga TFP Article

Congrats to all the players selected. Just an observation, as a parent of a player who's a lineman. The selections are clearly skewed against linemen/in favor of skill positions. Just looking at the 3A selections, for example, there are:

Not 1 but 2 QBs

Not 2 but 3 RBs

3 WRs which seems right

FOUR "athletes," which is a politically correct term for a VERY good player who's not quite good enough to the the first "all-whatever" player at his position.

So for 6 positions out of an 11-man unit, there are 12 all-state players.

In contrast, there are 6 OL all-state players. OL account for 5 positions in an 11-man unit.

I don't care which solution--either pick more linemen or don't pick so many "extra" QBs, RBs, WRs and "athletes."

Or am I the only one who cares about this? LOL

Edited by Warriors2011

Congrats to all the players selected. Just an observation, as a parent of a player who's a lineman. The selections are clearly skewed against linemen/in favor of skill positions. Just looking at the 3A selections, for example, there are:

Not 1 but 2 QBs

Not 2 but 3 RBs

3 WRs which seems right

FOUR "athletes," which is a politically correct term for a VERY good player who's not quite good enough to the the first "all-whatever" player at his position.

In contrast, there are 6 OL all-state players. OL account for 5 positions in an 11-man unit.

I don't care which solution--either pick more linemen or don't pick so many "extra" QBs, RBs, WRs and "athletes."

Similar for 3A DEFENSE, which has:

4 DL

7 LB

6 DB

Are the people who vote on these things unable to watch what happens on the line of scrimmage?

Edited by Warriors2011

Not 1 but 2 QBs

Not 2 but 3 RBs

3 WRs which seems right

While I find myself questioning many pre-season and post-season awards sometimes I think us parents are more concerned about this than the players. When I played ball the All "anything" Team consisted of a complete team, like a depth chart roster. And that team included a full offensive and defensive line. First Team, Second Team and Third Team . Things change, so this is just another thing that has changed. For better or worse, who knows. But, voting on an All State Team is very tricky business. My understanding is that the sports writers across the state do the voting. How can a Knoxville sports writer possibly know anything about all the Memphis area players and vice versa? Simple answer, they can't and don't. And how many of these voters really care enough and have enough time to investigate thoroughly in order to make a highly informed decision. Simple answer again, very very few. The vote getters are typically highly hyped players that are either college prospects or stat leaders in their local papers or played for a championship team. "College prospect" may be based more on potential (size & speed) than actual performance and "stats" quite frankly are questionable at best (especially on defense) depending on what kind of statistician each school has. So the "All State Team" is a stretch each and every year, with some bonafide, no-doubt-about-it award winners along with players that may or may not have made our own individual All State Team if we were putting one together ourselves. There is going to be a list of deserving players every year that were left off. And this year is certainly no exception. So.....I would like to congratulate all those that did make this years list, it is quite an honor and one that you will keep with you forever. And for those deserving individuals who did not make the list I hope that you have the support of those close to you and the confidence in yourself that you are/were an All State caliber player and that no post season award will or can define your playing career. You, your teammates, your coaches, and your opponents know and they are the ones that really matter. Just another life lesson taught by the great teacher of football. :thumb:

Edited by FootballDad

While I find myself questioning many pre-season and post-season awards sometimes I think us parents are more concerned about this than the players. When I played ball the All "anything" Team consisted of a complete team, like a depth chart roster. And that team included a full offensive and defensive line. First Team, Second Team and Third Team . Things change, so this is just another thing that has changed. For better or worse, who knows. But, voting on an All State Team is very tricky business. My understanding is that the sports writers across the state do the voting. How can a Knoxville sports writer possibly know anything about all the Memphis area players and vice versa? Simple answer, they can't and don't. And how many of these voters really care enough and have enough time to investigate thoroughly in order to make a highly informed decision. Simple answer again, very very few. The vote getters are typically highly hyped players that are either college prospects or stat leaders in their local papers or played for a championship team. "College prospect" may be based more on potential (size & speed) than actual performance and "stats" quite frankly are questionable at best (especially on defense) depending on what kind of statistician each school has. So the "All State Team" is a stretch each and every year, with some bonafide, no-doubt-about-it award winners along with players that may or may not have made our own individual All State Team if we were putting one together ourselves. There is going to be a list of deserving players every year that were left off. And this year is certainly no exception. So.....I would like to congratulate all those that did make this years list, it is quite an honor and one that you will keep with you forever. And for those deserving individuals who did not make the list I hope that you have the support of those close to you and the confidence in yourself that you are/were an All State caliber player and that no post season award will or can define your playing career. You, your teammates, your coaches, and your opponents know and they are the ones that really matter. Just another life lesson learned by the great teacher of football. :thumb:

shesaid.gif:roflol::thumb:

Congrats to the kids for their football skills.The recognition is well deserved. My only question is with all the awards now and all star games who makes these decisions?

Some kids made best of preps and did not make all district? Some kids did not make all star game and were all-STATE? Four kids all state on one team and many an entire district has zero?

Some teams have two or three stars of some kind and their record on the field was a loosing one?

Just scratching my head on a few of these..

Wish the coaches could vote on officals good and bad...that would be interesting.