Region 4 dist. 7.

riverrunner

Looks like it will be another barn burner this year in this dist. with Clarkrange and Byrdstown going head to head again. These 2 shcools seem to always have it together with the others just taking the scraps off the table. After seeing all of them play so far I see why Monterey is not just last but dead last, in the last 9 years they havent had a winning season. What is up with that, do they even have a coach or is it a poor feeder program? I would like to see some of the others in this dist step up and at least give the big 2 some competition..... Anyone thoughts on what is up on the mountain?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it will be another barn burner this year in this dist. with Clarkrange and Byrdstown going head to head again. These 2 shcools seem to always have it together with the others just taking the scraps off the table. After seeing all of them play so far I see why Monterey is not just last but dead last, in the last 9 years they havent had a winning season. What is up with that, do they even have a coach or is it a poor feeder program? I would like to see some of the others in this dist step up and at least give the big 2 some competition..... Anyone thoughts on what is up on the mountain?

"These 2 schools seem to always have it together with the others just taking the scraps off the table". Since 2006 only 2 teams from 7a has been to the state tournament and crange or pc hasn't been either one. Also Clay County took a game into overtime earlier in the year with Clarkrange at Clarkrange. This district, with the exception of Monterey, is dead even.

"These 2 schools seem to always have it together with the others just taking the scraps off the table". Since 2006 only 2 teams from 7a has been to the state tournament and crange or pc hasn't been either one. Also Clay County took a game into overtime earlier in the year with Clarkrange at Clarkrange. This district, with the exception of Monterey, is dead even.

A team in this district is 3-0 and it is dead even? That doesn't add up.

A team in this district is 3-0 and it is dead even? That doesn't add up.

JC finished in first place in the district last year during the regular season and ended up in 4th place after the tournament and was 4-0 in district play at one point. NO team is that much better than the other and any team could end up winning it in the end.

PC had some pretty good teams 15-20 years ago hasn't had much since in fact Clay co has dominated as far as state play goes and JC since returning to 7a has been in mix every year and last year C'range played ok end of season but PC and C'range have not been very successful in rercent years. In fact there is not a good team in this district nor have there been in the 2000 era with exception of Clay co who was pretty good a year or two. 3-0 is very lame against weak teams when you lost several against other weak teams.

In fact there is not a good team in this district nor have there been in the 2000 era with exception of Clay co who was pretty good a year or two.

PC has had some good years in the early 2000s. However, 2005 was the last State Tournament they have been to which ended a run of 10 trips to the State in 15 years.

2000 33-2 State Tournament Final 4

2001 30-5 State Tournament appearance (chances were good they win it if Adam Asberry would have stayed at PC instead of transfering to Upperman - he was really good)

2005 29-6 State Tournament appearance

2006 26-9 Sub-State

2007 28-9 Sub-State

I believe district 7 is very even. PC is undefeated in the district as of now, but Clarkrange took them to 2OT. PC won but that dont tell me that PC is so much better than Crange. Crange took Clay to OT to beat them, they won the game but that dont tell me that Clarkrange is so much better than clay. I believe between these three teams it could easily be up for grabs. Just all on who shows up. I think Clarkrange is hitting their stride and finally playing some offense. they have a very hard schedule they play mainly because the girls dont play single A teams other than district. Crange came out hot as ever last night and put away monterey very easily. One of the henry twins was 7 for 9 from three range. The whole team was shooting lights out. granted PC and Clay will play better defense but if Crange shoots remotely close to that against anyone they can beat any team they play. It will be a very interesting tournament come tourney time.

Over all this years teams are very average at best. There is no dominant team out there nor is there a dominant program. Outside of Monterey any of the teams can beat the other one on any given night. If i had to make a mid season prediction i would say that the District title game would be Clay vs Clarkrange but thats just a guess. Someone always seems to pull an upset on semi final night of the tournament and that could very well be the case this year.

The last team I remember coming out of this district was Clay County in 2006. Every year since the district and region included only has average teams at best.

Ahh yes i have fond memories of that year. My oldest son played on that team along with Saylor Walden, Dustin Rich, Tyler Kerr and Casey Ferrell among others. The thing about that team that separated them apart from the ones now and from the last couple of years was they were a "team" in every sense of the word. They all got along great on and off the court and they flat got after it on defense. They played with intensity and urgency every game, and the win over Temple in the sub state was and still is my favorite high school game i've ever watched. They were a fun group to watch play thats for sure. Its too bad our kids have to grow up! lol