Unicoi players quit

Hardwood

players went to disney and missed 2 games and week of practice. when they came back they didnt start. coach had told them they had to earn spots back. they both quit after 4 games back. team had won 9 straight.

What a novel idea... EARN YOUR SPOT! Great to see that there are some coaches still out there that believe in the principals of the game. Commitment, discipline, character, integrity... I'm so sick and tired of coaches who will sacrifice players who dedicate themselves to a program because of their personal perception that one player is above the others.

What a novel idea... EARN YOUR SPOT! Great to see that there are some coaches still out there that believe in the principals of the game. Commitment, discipline, character, integrity... I'm so sick and tired of coaches who will sacrifice players who dedicate themselves to a program because of their personal perception that one player is above the others.

yea really..can u imagine?

Really two high-school kids saved enough money to take themselves to Disney World. I'm guessing the family scheduled the trip. There are alot of variables that go into a family trip and not always are they easy to work around. I don't know nothing of the school or kids, in fact I don't know where the school is. Too often I have seen this happen where it goes too far with a rule or even a statement and lives are affected for no good reason. Make them run extra in practice, miss part of a game or something but loose your spot and say before they leave you have to re -earn your spot? Does the coach have to re-earn his spot after a day off? I deal with these things as a coach too every year and every situation has to be delt with differently. Kids don't control every decision in their life!

Yeah, because that is fair to the guys that didn't go to Disney and did earn those spots when they were gone. You did good as a starter while your teammates went to Disney for a week, and missed 2 games, but you are back to a backup since they are back. Even though you were here working your butt off while they were riding space mountain.

Yeah, because that is fair to the guys that didn't go to Disney and did earn those spots when they were gone. You did good as a starter while your teammates went to Disney for a week, and missed 2 games, but you are back to a backup since they are back. Even though you were here working your butt off while they were riding space mountain.

I agree! Also, to much emphasis on starting! Sure it's nice but it's about who finishes the game when it counts.

Edited by bigAsports

Really two high-school kids saved enough money to take themselves to Disney World. I'm guessing the family scheduled the trip. There are alot of variables that go into a family trip and not always are they easy to work around. I don't know nothing of the school or kids, in fact I don't know where the school is. Too often I have seen this happen where it goes too far with a rule or even a statement and lives are affected for no good reason. Make them run extra in practice, miss part of a game or something but loose your spot and say before they leave you have to re -earn your spot? Does the coach have to re-earn his spot after a day off? I deal with these things as a coach too every year and every situation has to be delt with differently. Kids don't control every decision in their life!

I'm pretty sure that basketball season hasn't changed in sometime. I've been planning trips and family vacations around baseball, basketball, wrestling and football schedules for more than 8 years now. It's part of it. When you sign up to play and you commit to the team... then the rules apply to everyone. If a miss is related to sickness or a death in the family that one thing... but to miss because you go to Disney... well, you pick and choose which is more important. Disney is open year around! Just saying!

Exactly...obviously team wasnt very high on list of priorities for these kids. Quit their teammates cause werent starting?? I blame parents for putting kids in that position but from what i understand players didnt even tell the coach they were quitting..sent stuff by others and never even showed up. Parents are blaming the coach but sounds like need to look in mirror. Good luck to devils

Exactly...obviously team wasnt very high on list of priorities for these kids. Quit their teammates cause werent starting?? I blame parents for putting kids in that position but from what i understand players didnt even tell the coach they were quitting..sent stuff by others and never even showed up. Parents are blaming the coach but sounds like need to look in mirror. Good luck to devils

Are you surprised that they didn't go directly to the coach? Any family or kid that would choose to push their commitment aside does not have the character or integrity to face a coach and speak like a man. Yes, the parents are to blame... but they will get their rewards for raising such a dependable child someday. Spare the rod... spoil the child! It wasn't a suggestion, it was a warning!

Very true. Disappointing thing is coach english told them up front before they went they would lose starting positions if they left ..but both players played in each game after came back in less minutes than were getting previously . They were told had to earn back . Team had won 10 straight and currently 17-3 and these kids leave the team .??

Very true. Disappointing thing is coach english told them up front before they went they would lose starting positions if they left ..but both players played in each game after came back in less minutes than were getting previously . They were told had to earn back . Team had won 10 straight and currently 17-3 and these kids leave the team .??

I'm just glad to see a coach who has character and integrity!

Most coaches today have a one-track mind. They put stock in "who they think" are the most talented with little attention to building a "team" as a whole. Spending to much time on one or two players, who are always placed on a pedestal, will only break your team down as a whole. It make you look like an ####. You loose the respect and dedication of your team.

Coaches that win championship win them because they build a team and pay attention to what works and what is not. There is a system or pecking order of what is earned. Players should be given opportunity to earn a starting spot... not given a starting spot they haven't earned. Too many times do I see spots given when they were never earned. This breaks down the potential of the team as a whole. While a coach may think they are smarter, you will never be smarter than the players sitting and watching. They know what you're doing, they know where they are talent wise and they know if things are not on the up and up with a coach. If they do not buy into what a coach is trying to accomplish and have lost respect for the coach, then the team will ultimately fail.

I actually had a coach tell me the other day that he didn't give a "S*#T" about stats... that he was going to play who is wanted to. Wow! Somehow he thinks he knows better than what the stat book is telling him. PERCEPTION OVER PERFORMANCE? How successful do you think this coach is going to be?

Coaches with these sort of philosophies should pushed out off the field and off the sidelines. They do little to build a program or community support. Respect the sport and honor the code. You'll get more out of your players and you'll build a program that kids will get excited about and dedicated themselves. To many times do I see talented kids walk the halls of schools and avoid sports all together because of bad coaches. A coaches mantra should be to INSPIRE, MOTIVATE and TEACH... No where in there should it be to DICTATE! It's not a Middle School or High School coaches job to choose who "he thinks" will be a college prospect... leave that up to the player.

Like stated before... A starting spot is EARNED by putting forth the effort needed, the dedication to defend and the attitude to give what you can to the team. I heard it during the UK vs. Auburn games last night. Calipari said that Kidd-Gilcrest was his best player on the team... he may not be the best shooter or the best ball handler but because of his hustle, determination and all-out performance he was the best player on the team in his view. Coaches... look at his record and then look at yours. If you're not winning ball games and you have players who go all out sitting on your sidelines then maybe its because your line up is based on perception and not performance.