Vanderbilt wants high school football back

QBClubPrez

I just came across this article in today's Tennessean. I knew this was coming per conversations I had back during the Fall. I trust this will make for an intersting discussion. Below is the link.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120213/SPORTS0602/302130019/Vanderbilt-wants-high-school-football-back?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

I just came across this article in today's Tennessean. I knew this was coming per conversations I had back during the Fall. I trust this will make for an intersting discussion. Below is the link.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120213/SPORTS0602/302130019/Vanderbilt-wants-high-school-football-back?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

With all due respect to Cookeville, Nashville is a far superior option. While Tennessee Tech provides a great atmosphere and wonderful hospitality, the TSSAA must fix an alarming decline in Blue Cross Bowl attendance. Playing the games in a big city places thousands of neutral fans within short driving distance. Cookeville, while cozy and friendly, does not offer the same attendance potential. Few fans will drive to a decentralized location to watch a team that isn't their own.

In addition, Nashville offers a more centralized location. If Nashville made a serious bid to host the Blue Cross Bowl, the choice would be a no-brainer.

Edited by WesVLT

With all due respect to Cookeville, Nashville is a far superior option. While Tennessee Tech provides a great atmosphere and wonderful hospitality, the TSSAA must fix an alarming decline in Blue Cross Bowl attendance. Playing the games in a big city places thousands of neutral fans within short driving distance. Cookeville, while cozy and friendly, does not offer the same attendance potential. Few fans will drive to a decentralized location to watch a team that isn't their own.

In addition, Nashville offers a more centralized location. If Nashville made a serious bid to host the Blue Cross Bowl, the choice would be a no-brainer.

Hard to argue WesVLT!!...while our experience in Cookeville was "cozy and friendly"...other factors must be considered! This would be the most viable option to correct the direction of the Championship Weekend!

The biggest problem with the TSSAA football state championships not drawing well is due more in part to a diluted field than the games being played in Cookeville. Place D1 & D2 back together and have four classifications, take only the top two teams from each district to the playoffs and you will see attendance grow. Who would not have wanted to see a Maryville vs Ensworth game for the state championship?

Edited by cbg

The biggest problem with the TSSAA football state championships not drawing well is due more in part to a diluted field than the games being played in Cookeville. Place D1 & D2 back together and have four classifications, take only the top two teams from each district to the playoffs and you will see attendance grow. Who would not have wanted to see a Maryville vs Ensworth game for the state championship?

I agree,but remember the choice to separate was those schools who chose to give financial aid. I wish we still had just 3 classifications.

I agree,but remember the choice to separate was those schools who chose to give financial aid. I wish we still had just 3 classifications.

I agree, the road to the state tournament is too easy for some teams. In AA FCS, TC, and Boyd Buc. were the only 3 good teams in AA, they just happen to be in the same quadrant and outside their quad it was easy pickens for whoever come out of the quad with TC, FCS and BB, which just so happen to be FCS. In A it was Huntington, Wayne County, South Pitt, and Gville that were head and shoulders above everyone else. Gville blew every team they played away up until the met South Pitt in the semis. I personally would have loved to see all 7 of those teams in the playoffs together fighting it out. With the playoffs being the way they are it gives RBS a great chance to make the playoffs if we can mustard up 4 wins, which almost happened this year. However, as a fan of football the playoffs are usually boring for 3 sometimes 4 rounds of the 5 round playoff system because there are teams, and this is bad in A, that make the playoffs that shouldn't be there in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

Not good logic.. No way dropping from 8 title games to the four you suggest will increase attendance. Sure it'll provide a more legit State Championship but not increase overall attendance..While i agree it's too diluted now. Everyone and their mother basically make the playoffs. Private school(D11) State Championships are a joke, Basically win three games(out of a 8 team field) and you're State Champion. More like a district champion. DII begins the State Championship bracket with like 6-8 teams(2 or 3 with losing records. Embarrassing to call this a State Championship. State Championships today are not what they used to be, often 4 teams out of a 6-7 team district(DI) make the playoffs & many with losing records when years back only the top team out of an 8-10 team district made the playoffs( 3 State Champions for ALL Classifications now 8).

A move to the great city of Nashville will be great, however more promotion and reasonable ticket prices will definitely help attendance at any locale. Needs to become an Event. Nashville without doubt will be best under any & all options. If not I'd like to see it rotated East(Neyland) Middle(Vandy/Titan or MTSU) and West(UT Matin or Liberty Bowl/MUS) or let regional High Schools in each region host on a rotating basics upon meeting certain criteria. This would encourage high school stadium improvements and benefit the schools

Edited by StBentley

Speaking of reasonable ticket prices, for the playoffs & State Championship alike, $8-$10 dollars is ok for an adult but to charge $7,$8,$10 for kids is the problem. Kids are the future and the catalyst of the game and many parents refuse or are unable to attend playoffs & State Championships because of this. High School students & lower kids should be 1/2 of this. Many more families would attend and benefit the game.

• 8 months later...

Speaking of reasonable ticket prices, for the playoffs & State Championship alike, $8-$10 dollars is ok for an adult but to charge $7,$8,$10 for kids is the problem. Kids are the future and the catalyst of the game and many parents refuse or are unable to attend playoffs & State Championships because of this. High School students & lower kids should be 1/2 of this. Many more families would attend and benefit the game.

Great Point! Well Said! But it's not about the money! LOL! Cookie - ville (TT) facilities are not up to a Championship Caliber! Move it back to Nash Vegas!