The Nashville City Paper Sues the TSSAA

QBClubPrez

TSSAA Poll  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel confident in the practices of the TSSAA as it regards to rules enforcement?

2. 2. Do you think sueing the TSSAA is counter-productive?

3. 3. Do you think ONLY school officials and administrators should hold positions on the TSSAA Board of Control and Legislative Council?

I'm sure the TSSAA's argument will be that participation in the association is voluntary, not mandatory. Therefore it can't be considered as a "state-sponsored" regulatory body. Schools simply don't need the TSSAA to participate in sports. As long as participation in the TSSAA is voluntary and not mandatory, I doubt this suit is going very far.

I laughed at the City Paper's Steve Cavendish's statement: "...Simply, it is the only game in town if you are an athlete or school in Tennessee". Hello Steve, have you ever heard of AAU and countless other leagues and organizations that cater to our young athletes?

Sounds more like a great marketing scheme or publicity stunt for the Nashville City Paper.

I haven't been around the board in a while, so I haven't seen this argument.

Participation in the TSSAA is hardly voluntary. Technically, schools are free to compete outside the TSSAA's jurisdiction. But who would they play? Who would want to play for them, given the lack of competition? How would they raise money to fund exorbitant travel costs? The TSSAA's wide jurisdiction and the lack of a viable alternative make the organization the only real secondary athletic association in Tennessee.

The TSSAA is a de facto state actor. The Supreme Court says so, and so do I. As such, it should be bound by public records laws. It should not be able to conduct its dealings in the dark.

Edited by WesVLT

I haven't been around the board in a while, so I haven't seen this argument.

Participation in the TSSAA is hardly voluntary. Technically, schools are free to compete outside the TSSAA's jurisdiction. But who would they play? Who would want to play for them, given the lack of competition? How would they raise money to fund exorbitant travel costs? The TSSAA's wide jurisdiction and the lack of a viable alternative make the organization the only real secondary athletic association in Tennessee.

The TSSAA is a de facto state actor. The Supreme Court says so, and so do I. As such, it should be bound by public records laws. It should not be able to conduct its dealings in the dark.

Well said!

• 3 weeks later...

That's ridiculous. Look to Virginia and North Carolina as states in the Southeast with viable, THRIVING alternatives to their public school associations.

It could be done incredibly easily if there was the willpower from the heads of Tennessee independent schools.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...