Region 4a

swanson71

Looking at the TSSAA site, it looks as if it only lasted a couple of seasons. In 99 in the Mid-East, A group, you had Gordonsville over Charleston, Grace Academy over Clarkrange in the first round; Gordonsville over (bye) Chattanooga Christian (106-105 in four overtimes!), Upperman (bye) over Grace Academy in the second round; then Upperman winning the sectional. Eight teams made it to the state with 1's vs 2's, Gleason ended up winning. It does give more of a chance to a #3 team from a strong region or even a strong district (like Jackson, Clay, Clarkrange or Livingston, Upperman, Cannon)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked it over it again, the sectional in 99 at least for boys in AA I mentioned was at McMinn County HS, Oliver Springs was one of the teams there. Making it short since this topic is about the current Region 4A tournament, not what happened 13 years ago-the boys team here did benefit from the sectional format. They finished third in the region behind very tough teams from Tyner and Brainerd, lost to Tyner by 3 in the second round of the sectional. Tyner lost in the state to eventual state champion Carver. Without this format they'd never have made into the top 32 teams (equivalent of the sub-state now).

Point is, maybe if there is a push from a lot of coaches/administrators they could look at this again, it does seem more fair. At least they could give it a one-year trial and see the reaction. If a team doesn't finish top two in the region they don't advance anyway currently. The central location instead of home court might hurt gates, but maybe they could give the higher seed team the home court all the way through, if it's a pair of 1's meeting they could give it to the team further east one year, further west the next year (similar to the way it used to be in football).

Looking at the TSSAA site, it looks as if it only lasted a couple of seasons. In 99 in the Mid-East, A group, you had Gordonsville over Charleston, Grace Academy over Clarkrange in the first round; Gordonsville over (bye) Chattanooga Christian (106-105 in four overtimes!), Upperman (bye) over Grace Academy in the second round; then Upperman winning the sectional. Eight teams made it to the state with 1's vs 2's, Gleason ended up winning. It does give more of a chance to a #3 team from a strong region or even a strong district (like Jackson, Clay, Clarkrange or Livingston, Upperman, Cannon)

At one time during the early 2000's you had Jackson County, Upperman, Livingston Aca, York and Cannon County all in one district! So its almost unfair when you have a district that is loaded like that to only send 2 teams to the substate. When we won the state in 2000 we traveled the sectional route coming in 3rd in the region and eventually beating Upperman who i believe won the region that year with Livingston Aca coming in second.

I looked it over it again, the sectional in 99 at least for boys in AA I mentioned was at McMinn County HS, Oliver Springs was one of the teams there. Making it short since this topic is about the current Region 4A tournament, not what happened 13 years ago-the boys team here did benefit from the sectional format. They finished third in the region behind very tough teams from Tyner and Brainerd, lost to Tyner by 3 in the second round of the sectional. Tyner lost in the state to eventual state champion Carver. Without this format they'd never have made into the top 32 teams (equivalent of the sub-state now).

Point is, maybe if there is a push from a lot of coaches/administrators they could look at this again, it does seem more fair. At least they could give it a one-year trial and see the reaction. If a team doesn't finish top two in the region they don't advance anyway currently. The central location instead of home court might hurt gates, but maybe they could give the higher seed team the home court all the way through, if it's a pair of 1's meeting they could give it to the team further east one year, further west the next year (similar to the way it used to be in football).

Great post, i for one would like to see that happen again as it gave a very strong region/district a chance to send 3 teams over a weaker region/section of the state which in turn would give us a chance to see the very best teams in the state compete for the championship i believe.

The only thing is just two would come out of the sectional in this format, the same as now. It would just give the #3 out of a district, if they were good enough to be third in the region, another shot. You could also question how fair it might be to a number 1, if a district was that strong, having to potentially beat the 2 and 3 five times apiece on the way to the state (regular season twice, district tournament, region, sectional), or at least one of them five times, if you lost in the sectional final you were seeded as a 2 in the state.

You may know the answer to this, why did they decide to do away with the sectional qualifier where the 3rd place team in the region qualified to play a game on the road?

I remember that year. 2000.

McMinn Cent.had the Miss Bball winner(Julie Aderhold). They won that round in the McMinn Co. gym.

Jackson Co was third in the district, came out #2 from that super sectional and run the table after that.

Upperman had been reclassified to AA comming off of a state runner-up in class A and were 29-1 going there an lost to Jackson Co in the semis. LA was there.

I thought that the powers (that were at that time)didn't want that to happen again, so they went back to the old format.

I think the top three district teams moving on to a super substate was a good idea.

Edited by jimbo44

It works either way but the three team senarino kept a good team like C'range or JC from being elimanated because of one bad game when they are one of the premier teams in state, however its a team and coaches obligation to be ready to play at this stage and more than likely you lose and you may not have been contender anyway.

It works either way but the three team senarino kept a good team like C'range or JC from being elimanated because of one bad game when they are one of the premier teams in state, however its a team and coaches obligation to be ready to play at this stage and more than likely you lose and you may not have been contender anyway.

Reguardless who ends up in state, I hope both teams get another chance to play each other after the region.