AAU State Tournament--Disaster!

humorwrestling

First, let me just say all the adda-boys are coming from the puppet masters behind Team TN.

My original post was not meant as a personal attack on anyone, but rather on the methods by Team TN in organizing this tournament and their inability to accept suggestions for improvement outside of the good ole boy network. My intent was to draw attention to the fact that all the issues experienced at the tournament have been discussed at all the AAU meetings by me and others. Our concerns fall on deaf ears because the leadership doesn't want to go out of their box and try something new. We are not in the inner circle and will not be heard. For years the space and mat requirements for Region & State have always been posted but when the tournaments actually roll around, rarely are the number of mats used and guidelines followed. The requirements, IMO are meant to exclude more than to include. When the discussion of a combined tournament was raised, I was one of the most outspoken reminding everyone of the issues faced in the past with a combined tournament, including finishing after midnight. The TOP 100 tournament that ended at 2 am this year should have been a clue...In addition, I also offered a solution to the overcrowding by making tots, bantam, and midget qualify just as the jr/middle schoolers. If its a true state tournament--shouldn't the elite kids be showcased? I also suggested a two day event on the same weekend as have others, still one travel weekend and everyone can watch NCAA's--suggestion ignored.

And I'm not crying over spilt milk, my kids all performed above and beyond expectations.

You're right, there was great wrestling and the awards were nice. But to sit back and act like everything was smooth is just plain DENIAL and if everyone continues to back pat and pretend all this didn't happen, then our tournaments will never improve. I understand the person originally scheduled to run the tournament had a last minute obliagation, but with a tournament this big shouldn't there be a contengency plan in place? If there would have been some planning all the regions would have posted results on track so everything could have been seamlessly integrated--I also recommended this be done last year...obviously no one took my suggestions seriously.

Hate me if you want, but I'm trying to improve wrestling just as much as all the others posting here. Maybe my method is unconvential with the original post but convential methods haven't served well in dealing with Team TN leadership.

While I was only there for the first 1/2 of the day, my opinion is all in all this was not a bad job. You do have to take in consideration that there were 740+ kids registered to wrestle. Pretty hard to organize that many and make it all work. While the younger kids did not have to qualify to wrestle, I would think that there needs to be something put in place to lower the number of kids that wrestle. Maybe something like, each region can put in the top 4 from regionals, they would have to a certain date to register, and then after that it would be open for the others but up to a certain number of kids.

The two things that I did think needed work were...

1) Starting on time, if I'm not wrong, I think we were about an hour behind to start.

2) Medal presentaion - this was a mess, and needs to be changed. That was the really only bad thing to me.

Beyond that, to me the day flowed well. You knew when the kids were up, because of the numbering system, so that wasn't a problem to me. And there wasn't a lot of down time to me, seemed like constant action

Starting on time is so important and the fact we did not was very frustrating for all of us involved. However, when mistakes on brackets are caught, we want to fix them. The amazing crew of people behind the head table busted their tales to get things right before the event was started.

Yes, I wish the medal presentation could have been in a better spot, but this spot was close to the gym.

The GOOD PEOPLE of STONE MEMORIAL did a great job all day.

Again Mr. Humor you may contact me anytime.

Thanks for the feedback. We had actually planned on showcasing hte finals but do to time constraints we were forced to scrap that idea. The tournament simply grew to large for us to make last minute adjustments. Thats a risk you take with open tournaments with the deadline to sign up just a day away from the start of the tournament. I personally like the open tournament. My opionion is the bigger the better but we will have to weigh some serious options for next year.1) We will have to go back to a two day tournament. 2) Make the younger wrestlers qualify for the tournament or 3) find a larger venue which they arent many of that are centrally located for the state. Please share your thoughts with your region directors so they can provide feedback at our annual meeting.

Since you already have the mats down, and you dont want to run into the baseball season, why not do Tot, Bantam, and Midget on Saturday and Junior and Middle School on Sunday, maybe with the K-5 Elementary Duals as well.

Edited by TNKO2

First, let me just say all the adda-boys are coming from the puppet masters behind Team TN.

My original post was not meant as a personal attack on anyone, but rather on the methods by Team TN in organizing this tournament and their inability to accept suggestions for improvement outside of the good ole boy network. My intent was to draw attention to the fact that all the issues experienced at the tournament have been discussed at all the AAU meetings by me and others. Our concerns fall on deaf ears because the leadership doesn't want to go out of their box and try something new. We are not in the inner circle and will not be heard. For years the space and mat requirements for Region & State have always been posted but when the tournaments actually roll around, rarely are the number of mats used and guidelines followed. The requirements, IMO are meant to exclude more than to include. When the discussion of a combined tournament was raised, I was one of the most outspoken reminding everyone of the issues faced in the past with a combined tournament, including finishing after midnight. The TOP 100 tournament that ended at 2 am this year should have been a clue...In addition, I also offered a solution to the overcrowding by making tots, bantam, and midget qualify just as the jr/middle schoolers. If its a true state tournament--shouldn't the elite kids be showcased? I also suggested a two day event on the same weekend as have others, still one travel weekend and everyone can watch NCAA's--suggestion ignored.

And I'm not crying over spilt milk, my kids all performed above and beyond expectations.

You're right, there was great wrestling and the awards were nice. But to sit back and act like everything was smooth is just plain DENIAL and if everyone continues to back pat and pretend all this didn't happen, then our tournaments will never improve. I understand the person originally scheduled to run the tournament had a last minute obliagation, but with a tournament this big shouldn't there be a contengency plan in place? If there would have been some planning all the regions would have posted results on track so everything could have been seamlessly integrated--I also recommended this be done last year...obviously no one took my suggestions seriously.

Hate me if you want, but I'm trying to improve wrestling just as much as all the others posting here. Maybe my method is unconvential with the original post but convential methods haven't served well in dealing with Team TN leadership.

No one is hating anything you say Humor, its just hard to take someone serious that hides behind an alias. Each issue you mentioned will all be addressed, as each one is every year. There is NO ONE THAT IS COMPLETELY SATISFIED WITH EVERYTHING FROM THIS PAST WEEKEND. Its funny, last year, when each state tourney ran without a hitch, you had no comments, in fact humor, you just began to use this alias.

Each year TeamTN tries to improve. Each year, EVERY MEMEBR OF THE ORGANIZATION CAN VOICE THEIR OPINION And share their Ideas with their Regional Director. So if You have ideas, if anyone has suggestions and are willing to use their real name, please contact your Regional Director and they WILL share those at the Spring meeting. No One is sitting back and and acting like everything was hunky dory. No one is in denial

by the way it was not that the 1 person that was hired to run the event had a work conflict. It was the first 2 people that were contacted had a work conflict. there was a plan in place in case 1 could not do it. However, we did not plan for 2 that could not. We had people pick up the ball and run with it. There will be a plan A,B, C, and D, We know it. I will say this, the 2 gentlemen that were contacted but had things pop up: 1 stayed up and answered calls all night to help get the brackets completed and the 2nd one, luckily, was able to attend and rolled his sleeves up and got to work. Like so many others did.

Again I don't hate you for what you say. Your methods obviously fit your strengths and weaknesses.

Go Luck to you sir. I am still waiting for your call or email but I will not hold my breath for either. I can promise you this, your points and opinions will be discussed and the issues that you mentioned will be addressed. Not because YOU mentioned it, but because they are the same ones that the board and the officers have already listed as priorities for the Spring Meeting.

Starting on time is so important and the fact we did not was very frustrating for all of us involved. However, when mistakes on brackets are caught, we want to fix them. The amazing crew of people behind the head table busted their tales to get things right before the event was started.

Yes, I wish the medal presentation could have been in a better spot, but this spot was close to the gym.

The GOOD PEOPLE of STONE MEMORIAL did a great job all day.

Again Mr. Humor you may contact me anytime.

Understand about getting the brackets right, and I for one can sure wait another hour to make it right for the kids, so like I said that was only one thing, but I do understand it.

To be honest, the real issue with the medals seemed to be all the picture taking, that would hold a group for almost 10 minutes at times. Maybe have 2 sets of stands, and that might help things. Not totally sure, just a thought.

But again, I really think it was a pretty good job considering the number of kids entered. And I for one could not have done any better, so no complaining out of me. Although, the drive from Memphis is a bit much, and would love to see something closer

My recommendations;

1. A venue that has the ability to have the parents UP in the the stands.

2. If it is to be one event and at a high school site, then go to 2 days, but not Saturday/Sunday. Maybe, Friday Night the Middle School division on 8-10 mats. Saturday would be tot and Juniors in the AM and Midgets and Bantams in the PM. Middle school has 18 weight classes. Tots and Jr's would be around 20 weight classes. Midgets and Bantams about 27. (numbers may be off a little) On 8-10 mats the Middle School would run in a timely fashion.

3. If it is to be held in a larger arena: Seating for fans/parents upstairs plus room for 12 mats.

4. Allow a little more time between divisions so there is less overlap of fans and wrestlers.

5. All region tournaments be ran through Track Wrestling, which would make setting up the state so much easier on those people organizing and running the event. ( i know talks are underway to get our more experienced people to train those who are not as experienced before it is regional time.

6. With the extra space and time, the Finals could be show cased!

7. Awards area with plenty of room for wrestlers and fans/parents.

8. Put together a State Tournament Committee that would organize and arrange the states. John Satterfield could lead this committee.

9. Bout board, more than one based on the site would be very helpful

These are just a few that i have and that have been shared with me

Understand about getting the brackets right, and I for one can sure wait another hour to make it right for the kids, so like I said that was only one thing, but I do understand it.

To be honest, the real issue with the medals seemed to be all the picture taking, that would hold a group for almost 10 minutes at times. Maybe have 2 sets of stands, and that might help things. Not totally sure, just a thought.

But again, I really think it was a pretty good job considering the number of kids entered. And I for one could not have done any better, so no complaining out of me. Although, the drive from Memphis is a bit much, and would love to see something closer

2blLeg very well thought out suggestions and Thank you for the PROFESSIONAL AND CONSIDERATE WAY YOU COMMUNICATED THEM ON THIS FORUM. At Pigeon Forge we give the awards away in our school auditorium. At the Spring Youth Nationals, we use the back gym. The flow is so important and the weight room at Stone would be good up until more and more groups start finishing up at the same time.

The site will be up for vote at the Spring Directors and Officers meeting. If ANY OF YOU HAVE A PLACE IN MIND PLEASE GET THE INFO TO YOUR REGIONAL DIRECTOR. We already have people looking into sites from their area.

My recommendations;

1. A venue that has the ability to have the parents UP in the the stands.

2. If it is to be one event and at a high school site, then go to 2 days, but not Saturday/Sunday. Maybe, Friday Night the Middle School division on 8-10 mats. Saturday would be tot and Juniors in the AM and Midgets and Bantams in the PM. Middle school has 18 weight classes. Tots and Jr's would be around 20 weight classes. Midgets and Bantams about 27. (numbers may be off a little) On 8-10 mats the Middle School would run in a timely fashion.

3. If it is to be held in a larger arena: Seating for fans/parents upstairs plus room for 12 mats.

4. Allow a little more time between divisions so there is less overlap of fans and wrestlers.

5. All region tournaments be ran through Track Wrestling, which would make setting up the state so much easier on those people organizing and running the event. ( i know talks are underway to get our more experienced people to train those who are not as experienced before it is regional time.

6. With the extra space and time, the Finals could be show cased!

7. Awards area with plenty of room for wrestlers and fans/parents.

8. Put together a State Tournament Committee that would organize and arrange the states. John Satterfield could lead this committee.

9. Bout board, more than one based on the site would be very helpful

These are just a few that i have and that have been shared with me

Oh yeah, a venue where the temp control can be easily adjusted

I'm glad you plan to address the issues. Time will tell if any changes are made.

Mr. Laderdale: I'm not quite sure why my anonymity bothers you such. I assume because someone has harshly pointed out the areas for improvement and your seeming unwillingness to correct past errors. I believe it bothers you that the silent majority has finally spoken. I'm not looking for a personal battle and I don't need undue attention on my childs club because I have went against the grain in calling out the leadership for their failures. Your discussion of the issues does nothing without action. Its action and changes I seek.

No fault falls on the volunteers running the tournament--they were soldiers, doing as instructed--as Satterfield pointed out--standing on the wall. It was those that ordered the code red that failed.

And as a side note, I agree with 2DblLeg--since Memphis is part of AAU now some consideration should be given to them hosting. There are many places around Memphis that are suitable for the tournament.

2blLeg very well thought out suggestions and Thank you for the PROFESSIONAL AND CONSIDERATE WAY YOU COMMUNICATED THEM ON THIS FORUM. At Pigeon Forge we give the awards away in our school auditorium. At the Spring Youth Nationals, we use the back gym. The flow is so important and the weight room at Stone would be good up until more and more groups start finishing up at the same time.

The site will be up for vote at the Spring Directors and Officers meeting. If ANY OF YOU HAVE A PLACE IN MIND PLEASE GET THE INFO TO YOUR REGIONAL DIRECTOR. We already have people looking into sites from their area.

Has the Williamson County Ag Expo Center been considered for AAU state? It would definitely be big enough.

Edited by deadlift

I'm glad you plan to address the issues. Time will tell if any changes are made.

Mr. Laderdale: I'm not quite sure why my anonymity bothers you such. I assume because someone has harshly pointed out the areas for improvement and your seeming unwillingness to correct past errors. I believe it bothers you that the silent majority has finally spoken. I'm not looking for a personal battle and I don't need undue attention on my childs club because I have went against the grain in calling out the leadership for their failures. Your discussion of the issues does nothing without action. Its action and changes I seek.

No fault falls on the volunteers running the tournament--they were soldiers, doing as instructed--as Satterfield pointed out--standing on the wall. It was those that ordered the code red that failed.

And as a side note, I agree with 2DblLeg--since Memphis is part of AAU now some consideration should be given to them hosting. There are many places around Memphis that are suitable for the tournament.

Your anonymity does not bother me it just seems to me that that if you believe in what you are stating that you would NOT hide behind an alias. Other have posted on here who I know. I respect their ideas and opinions.

As far as your comment "and your unwillingness to correct past errors" I am the first to admit when I have made a mistake and when I can and should do things better. MY UNWILLINGNESS TO CHANGE! It is obvious you do not know me and have not been here for the past 14 years. During that time I have heard all the complaints and each year I , we, try to address them. If you think what you have stated is harsh, by no means Do I consider them to be harsh.

If you BELIEVE that I am not open to new ideas, it is real obvious that you do not know me. I also need to point out, that I no longer am the director of TeamTN, and have not been for the past 2 years. However when I was, I listened to all suggestions, complaints, and ideas. Did I agree with all of them no, but they were all discussed and addressed.

Again, I have given you my contact info. I am interested in hearing your suggestions and ideas. It seems that you believe you were ignored last year by someone, so I am here to tell you that I AM HERE AND I WILL LISTEN! I WILL TAKE NOTES! I WILL SHARE YOUR OPINIONS AND IDEAS! BY ALL MEANS, I ENCOURAGE ANYONE WHO WANTS TO BE A PART, TO STEP FORWARD, AND BECOME AN ACTIVE PART OF THE LEADERSHIP. JUST LET YOUR REGIONAL DIRECTOR KNOW THAT YOU ARE WILLING AND ABLE!

SO PLEASE HUMOR US! GET INVOLVED!

Edited by galloppingghost77