CPA vs Stone Memorial

coach77

Having played Stone 4 times this year I can tell you they just know how to play the game. I only saw CPA at Arby's Classic against Christ School. I'm sure on paper CPA is better but don't let the eye test fool you Stone is good. They are a dangerous team for CPA. Stone has played teams like bolivar, mccallie and liberty to prepare for this type of opponent. should be fun

Stone is in the Final Four. Who would be foolish enough to not think they were good?

Keys to beating CPA are: Don't chase Bradshaw- contest his jumpshot(he is a driver first/shooter 2nd) double Lindsey on the block and chase asmiller-make him put it on the floor. Everyone else turn into jump-shooters. Make the role players heroes and you got a chance.

Sounds easy. Problem is - you are describing a half court defensive philosphy. CPA's game is transition and your plan won't work against that. Wonder if Spring Hill thought the same thing and that was why Wharton (who you don't mention) was leading scorer with 23 points?

Sounds easy. Problem is - you are describing a half court defensive philosphy. CPA's game is transition and your plan won't work against that. Wonder if Spring Hill thought the same thing and that was why Wharton (who you don't mention) was leading scorer with 23 points?

I have no doubt Buck will have as good of a plan as one can have. He is an excellent strategist and knows how to play his teams' strengths and exploit any potential weak spots in their opponents.I have often heard him referred to as a basketball savant. The key will be execution. From all reports Maddux is also a top notch coach.I have no doubt his game plan will be designed to accomplish the very same results. And from their record he is clearly skilled in this area. It should be a good game.

Keys to beating CPA are: Don't chase Bradshaw- contest his jumpshot(he is a driver first/shooter 2nd) double Lindsey on the block and chase asmiller-make him put it on the floor. Everyone else turn into jump-shooters. Make the role players heroes and you got a chance.

Good thoughts. Others have tried this approach. That is why CPA has had 7 different players lead the team in scoring in a game. 6 have done it 2 or more times. 5 have done it 3 or more times. Someone different seems to step up every game. It's not just the Lindsey and Bradshaw show.

Vic Wharton had 23 yesterday as a case in point.

To beat CPA they will have to be able to break the press both halves and not wear themselves out.

CPA has worn a lot of teams down in the 2nd half with relentless pressure

Does Stone go 8 deep? I noticed they had no bench scoring yesterday.

Should be a great game!

Yesterday they didn't have much scoring from the bench. Game before, however, the game plan was to double cover Rowan and Cole. They held them to 16 and 23 respectively. Twenty eight points came from the bench that night- nineteen from a sophomore. The bench goes a true seven deep.

Good thoughts. Others have tried this approach. That is why CPA has had 7 different players lead the team in scoring in a game. 6 have done it 2 or more times. 5 have done it 3 or more times. Someone different seems to step up every game. It's not just the Lindsey and Bradshaw show.

Vic Wharton had 23 yesterday as a case in point.

To beat CPA they will have to be able to break the press both halves and not wear themselves out.

CPA has worn a lot of teams down in the 2nd half with relentless pressure

Does Stone go 8 deep? I noticed they had no bench scoring yesterday.

Should be a great game!

Agree - all final 4 games should be good. No one is safe at this point. CPA had little bench scoring yesterday either (Brown), although they usually do get some 3's from Cook and some inside bench scoring.

CPA is very good but not unbeatable. IMHO, your only chance is to break pressure, find an open guy who can shoot and hit the shot. On defense, you have to stop penetration with a zone, and hope CPA is ice cold from outside.

Does a radio station from crossville area broadcast the Stone games? I will be close to that area working tomorrow & would like to listen. Coach Buck & the Panthers will have a plan, just have to execute! Amazed with how much poise the young CPA team showed, can they keep that cool if Stone knocks down a couple of 3s early & gets them down quickly? Should be a good one!

Well, if you want to stop a transition team you have to keep them in a half court game- so the approach is sound in theory. Wharton got the majority of his on drives not jumpers- he was the recipient of steals and lay ups not necessarily 1/2 court offense. Also, I would say apply 2-2-1 pressure(token pressure-not really going for steals) on dead balls full court and made baskets to slow down their transition game. But what do I know- my guys are not AA and not even still alive!

Stone is in the Final Four. Who would be foolish enough to not think they were good?

just saying most teams overlook stone with the eye test. if someone was to pick the 5 best players tomorrow by the eye test i'm sure cole wouldn't be taken. to answer question maybe a 16 year old kid. doubt it but you never know.

just saying most teams overlook stone with the eye test. if someone was to pick the 5 best players tomorrow by the eye test i'm sure cole wouldn't be taken. to answer question maybe a 16 year old kid. doubt it but you never know.

SM has a Mr. Basketball finalist, they are in the top 4 and solid record, who would overlook them.

I feel a really good game coming on.