FCS vs. Perry County

CommanderMan

You don't want to play with them because you can't play by there rules. In other words you can't compete. That s why you wanted to stay in divison I. That's why we don't want you in division I cause we can't play by your rules. Saying you can't help it that a star athlete chooses to play with you is fair to us. is crazy. You said it in your own words. CHOICE we don't have the choice. Perry Co is Perry Co kids unless the family moves. Wayne Co is Wayne Co unless they move and so on. We can't choose the school we want to play for. You can. Step up and playing wit the others that can. You can't run with the big dogs so you choose to stay on the porch "division I".

I get that you're frustrated. But without FC in the hunt, would your team have been good enough to win it? We have choice on our side, I'll give you that. But don't tell me parents don't choose one public school over another. I met with a parent last week who told me he physically moved his home so his son could play for another PUBLIC school. I worship with another family that did the same thing. I personally think it's crazy. I'm blessed to live in a community with a Christian School where I can send my kids. I really don't want either of them to pursue college or pro athletics, even if they were good enough. What I do want for them is the best education in the best environment possible and to have fun in sports. That's what I get for them at FC. If that means I'm settling for sitting on the porch, so be it. But I don't like what I see DII schools doing which is what you accuse us unfairly of doing. You are right in saying we can't compete. But it's that we can't afford to give scholarships and travel. We aren't the spoiled rich, private school families you might have thought us to be.

Regardless of school size when a school has the ability to select students it is unfair to those that are boundary locked. It only takes 4-6 players in basketball in a class to build a team. It doesn't matter if there are 300 or 3000 kids in the school. Privates can go get select kids. Public's have to veterinary kids in their boundaries. It's simple. I'm not saying any of the kids on this team were recruited fact is I don't know. But you can. If you can't see that, I'm sorry. In baseball this is very true as well it just takes a few to add to the regular and wow a team gets a lot better. Especially in Single A.

WE don't pick them, they pick us. It's up to each family. If they can afford the tuition and want the Christian school environment, it is their decision.

Everyone has the right to live were they want. They can choose the reason for better schools, sports teams, jobs in the area. Its when kids are transported across town or asked to come to this school because they play a sport that bothers me. I think they should have the right to do that. I just think they should compete with other that do. For the record I am not a Perry Co fan. In fact we play against them yearly. I only brought this up because it was stated that this is the third or fourth state championship this year. Do you really believe that is just 100% effort of the regular kids that have always been in your school? Or is it possible their are a few new faces added over the past few years. For 1the school to have that much success is VARY RARE! You do not see that with pubic schools you do however see that in privates.

As previously stated, most of these kids have been at the school for years before participating in sports. We had 16 seniors (I believe) in football out of about 35 total players. We had 8 senior basketball players. We can't switch to Division II because we don't have an endowment to support scholarships. And we can't provide scholarships out of annual operating revenues because we have to raise money every year to make up the difference between tuition and expenses. And yes travel is a real hindrance as well.

You wouldn't have to give financial aid to play Division II. FCS and CPA would be among the best teams, in most sports, in a Division II Class AA without giving financial aid (apparently). You would also not have to play Brentwood Academy, etc, another scare tactic used in the past by those who don't want a total split.

Travel would not be a problem with all private schools in Division II. I put together a Division II Class AA, with a lot of guesses, true, but Friendship's district in it included Lancaster, Ezell Harding, CPA, Donelson Christian and if home schoolers were allowed (just a thought thrown out there), Middle Tennessee Heat. That's all within easy driving of Lebanon.

Everyone has the right to live were they want. They can choose the reason for better schools, sports teams, jobs in the area. Its when kids are transported across town or asked to come to this school because they play a sport that bothers me. I think they should have the right to do that. I just think they should compete with other that do. For the record I am not a Perry Co fan. In fact we play against them yearly. I only brought this up because it was stated that this is the third or fourth state championship this year. Do you really believe that is just 100% effort of the regular kids that have always been in your school? Or is it possible their are a few new faces added over the past few years. For 1the school to have that much success is VARY RARE! You do not see that with pubic schools you do however see that in privates.

It is almost unbelievable. I don't think it's been done before...public or private. But I don't think we were head-and-shoulders better than everyone else. I think this group of seniors (mostly) has been close enough to see it without actually getting it done. We improved our coaching in basketball with Cleve Harris. But McNeal has been there 24 years, altogether. These are Wilson County kids. You are making huge leaps to assume the things you assert.

You wouldn't have to give financial aid to play Division II. FCS and CPA would be among the best teams, in most sports, in a Division II Class AA without giving financial aid (apparently). You would also not have to play Brentwood Academy, etc, another scare tactic used in the past by those who don't want a total split.

Travel would not be a problem with all private schools in Division II. I put together a Division II Class AA, with a lot of guesses, true, but Friendship's district in it included Lancaster, Ezell Harding, CPA, Donelson Christian and if home schoolers were allowed (just a thought thrown out there), Middle Tennessee Heat. That's all within easy driving of Lebanon.

Hey, I'm for it. If it shuts down this type of accusation and innuendo, I'm for it. After 35 years of listening to baseless, false accusation, let's do it. I have asked the school and it actually is not as easy as you say. I hear Div II is shrinking rather than growing. And it is very naive to assume we could be competitive with schools offering financial aid if we weren't able to offer it. We are playing by the rules. It's just that most public school parents don't like the rules. States like GA who have split public and private suffer because you don't truly have the best teams winning when they aren't even allowed to compete against each other. There is not a great solution. We'll probably just keeping working hard and play under the rules as they are until they change. Then we'll evaluate our options and go the way that makes the most sense for our families, just like we've always done. And we'll be arguing about this when my grand kids are playing.

FC can compete just fine with the D II schools of our size. They defeated DCA (D II basketball State champs) earlier this season and lost to them in last minute in 1st game of football. We annually scrimmage DA, FRA, CPA, in football. Also scrimmaged Maplewood, sycamore, station Camp, in football. Our fball JV played and defeated DCA, FRA, DA, this year. In basketball we also played JP II which was our last regular season loss as well as ezell Harding. In baseball we play Father Ryan and CPA this week along with Beech, Hendersonville, Gallatin, Portland, Goodpasture, Lebanon, cookeville, Sparta, 2 different 6A schools from MS all during the regular season. Not to mention Lincoln Co & Coffee Co during the preseason.

Our coaches and players actually relish playing great competition and bigger schools that you say " smalls schools can't compete with" which is the main reason our kids are prepared no matter the stage. Our region foes like TC & Gville regularly play up in football with the mindset that iron sharpens iron. Your school might want to try it EA, instead of nurturing that "insecure or scared" attitude that life's not fair.

Edited by Volzchamps

Hey, I'm for it. If it shuts down this type of accusation and innuendo, I'm for it. After 35 years of listening to baseless, false accusation, let's do it. I have asked the school and it actually is not as easy as you say. I hear Div II is shrinking rather than growing. And it is very naive to assume we could be competitive with schools offering financial aid if we weren't able to offer it. We are playing by the rules. It's just that most public school parents don't like the rules. States like GA who have split public and private suffer because you don't truly have the best teams winning when they aren't even allowed to compete against each other. There is not a great solution. We'll probably just keeping working hard and play under the rules as they are until they change. Then we'll evaluate our options and go the way that makes the most sense for our families, just like we've always done. And we'll be arguing about this when my grand kids are playing.

Division II has grown with teams like FRA and Ezell joining.

Yes, it would be easy, just notify the TSSAA before the next classification period begins. You'd be assigned a region which right now would be Division II, Class A, East/Middle. You'd have these teams in the region: Davidson Academy (Nashville)

DCA (Nashville)

Ezell-Harding (Antioch)

FRA (Nashville)

Kings Academy (Seymour)

Knoxville Webb (Knoxville)

Mt. Juliet Christian (Mt. Juliet)

Riverside Christian (Fayetteville)

St. Andrews (Sewanee)

St. Cecilia (Nashville)

USN (Nashville)

Webb School (Bell Buckle)

Zion Christian (Columbia)

Are you telling me FCS and CPA wouldn't be competitive against these teams regardless of whether aid is offered?

I'm not sure if Kings Academy plays a non-region schedule, if they don't that would leave a football trip to Webb every two years, and one trip a year to Webb a year in other sports. I don't think that would break the bank. Again if all schools joined you'd have much closer teams playing each other in regions.

Division II has grown with teams like FRA and Ezell joining.

Yes, it would be easy, just notify the TSSAA before the next classification period begins. You'd be assigned a region which right now would be Division II, Class A, East/Middle. You'd have these teams in the region: Davidson Academy (Nashville)

DCA (Nashville)

Ezell-Harding (Antioch)

FRA (Nashville)

Kings Academy (Seymour)

Knoxville Webb (Knoxville)

Mt. Juliet Christian (Mt. Juliet)

Riverside Christian (Fayetteville)

St. Andrews (Sewanee)

St. Cecilia (Nashville)

USN (Nashville)

Webb School (Bell Buckle)

Zion Christian (Columbia)

Are you telling me FCS and CPA wouldn't be competitive against these teams regardless of whether aid is offered?

I'm not sure if Kings Academy plays a non-region schedule, if they don't that would leave a football trip to Webb every two years, and one trip a year to Webb a year in other sports. I don't think that would break the bank. Again if all schools joined you'd have much closer teams playing each other in regions.

I wish I had a vote on the decision. All I know is what I'm told by school officials.

FC chooses to play D-I because of natural long-standing rivalries with schools like Trousdale Co, G-ville, Watertown, Clay Co, etc. These gates are the largest when they play each other. These schools have been competing and both winning and losing against the commanders for 30+ years. You will never hear TC football say they "can't compete" because they aren't scared and will work hard enough to get it done. They push FC to get better and I'd like to think FC pushes them likewise. All schools have runs on talent. FC IS HAVING THEIRS. It will pass just like others mentioned above. I can still remember the days when gville Watertown, and TC Would have scheduled FC as much as allowed when they were dominating the series.

FC chooses to play D-I because of natural long-standing rivalries with schools like Trousdale Co, G-ville, Watertown, Clay Co, etc. These gates are the largest when they play each other. These schools have been competing and both winning and losing against the commanders for 30+ years. You will never hear TC football say they "can't compete" because they aren't scared and will work hard enough to get it done. They push FC to get better and I'd like to think FC pushes them likewise. All schools have runs on talent. FC IS HAVING THEIRS. It will pass just like others mentioned above. I can still remember the days when gville Watertown, and TC Would have scheduled FC as much as allowed when they were dominating the series.

Yes, and they can still play at least some of them non-district especially in basketball, baseball, softball.

I remember Trousdale moving up to Class 3A (5 class system) for a few years, they didn't seem too thrilled with potentially playing Goodpasture, etc.

Yes, and they can still play at least some of them non-district especially in basketball, baseball, softball.

I remember Trousdale moving up to Class 3A (5 class system) for a few years, they didn't seem too thrilled with potentially playing Goodpasture, etc.

As I remember it, Clint didn't want to play the private schools in AA at the time.