Georgia bans three-a-days...

BillVol

If these associations like the Tssaa were interested in saving lives they would not be playing football in August. The first game would be in Sept the way it supposed to be.

If they were to push the season back to September, it would most likely still be starting in the very early part of the month, so these kids would still be practicing for a great portion of August. Besides, it's usually still pretty hot in early September in this part of the country. So I doubt there would be that much of a difference unless they moved it to late September, which will never happen. Not with the potential humongous overlap of football season/basketball season.

The best thing to do for both coaches and players alike is to be aware, and use caution when it comes to heat. Keep the players hydrated under all circumstances, and on those unbearably hot days, use even more caution. There will be a few accidents here and there due to heart problems, asthma, etc. But you would be surprised at just how far a little common sense could go towards limiting these fatal incidents when it comes to heat/humidity. On those triple digit days with dew points in the 70's, coaches should probably know that 3 a days are not the best idea.

If these associations like the Tssaa were interested in saving lives they would not be playing football in August. The first game would be in Sept the way it supposed to be.

If you don't start the season until September, then it doesn't end until Christmas.

As pointed out by another poster, even if you start the season in September, you are still doing pre-season practice in August, just as you are now. There is very little - if any - difference in the heat the first two weeks of August and the last two.

Edited by HTV

The TSSAA is way ahead of the game. Four years ago they they put in place a rule limiting outdoor practice for ALL STUDENT ATHLETES once the heat and humidity reaches a point on the scale with a heat index of 104*. In Middle Tennessee, one can reach that point at 96*F with a high humidity. Coaches have complained about it for four years but we adapt and move forward.

• Upvote 1

oldstonefort, you are correct...but I would be willing to bet there are many coaches out their that cheat on the heat index gadget. I have heard some go over to a shade tree and take the reading there. That aint right.

So, how do you police it, DD? The TSSAA can't have somebody with a heat index meter at every school. It's up to each individual school to monitor and follow the guidelines, and there are penalties in place for those who don't.

I have a hard time believing that a large, large majority of the coaches aren't following the rules as they are given them. Those coaches are responsible for their players, and they don't want to lose players to illnesses caused by heat. Schools now have training and medical staffs that are very much aware of heat issues. Coaches listen to them.

And by the way, those meters don't know if the temperature is being taken in the sun or in the shade. They measure the air temperature and humidity and get the heat index. The sun may make it feel hotter on the skin, but it is still the same air temperature in sun or shade.

oldstonefort, you are correct...but I would be willing to bet there are many coaches out their that cheat on the heat index gadget. I have heard some go over to a shade tree and take the reading there. That aint right.

I coach a youth football team. I have a meter and use the TSSAA rules. The instructions for the meter say to take the reading "IN THE SHADE"...so the coaches are doing it right.