Runner interference

haderade

I agree with Griz on this. If blue is turning for the throw to first when there's a play at second in which he can't call interference, how does he know there's an out recorded at second? Blue rotates with the ball and follows the throw to first. He's got whatever is happening at second right in front of him. Home plate is 125 ft. away. How's he gonna call interference?

What is the direct line between bases? The runner establishes the basepath. If he can reach the bag, he can slide left, right or right into the bag.

This is back in the day, but we were taught to aim between the runner's eye's if he's coming in standing up. He'll get down. I might have interference if the baserunner makes contact or is away from the bag in an attempt to impede the throw. Baserunner has the same rights to the bag that the fielder does and he's got less room in which to navigate. If the runner is on the path to second that he created and he doesn't initiate contact, throw his hand at the ball or slide in cleats high and take the fielder out, how is he interfering? 'Excuse me sir, I didn't mean to be running towards the base you are stepping on. Which way shall I move so as to not impede your throw to retire my associate?'

I agree with Griz on this. If blue is turning for the throw to first when there's a play at second in which he can't call interference, how does he know there's an out recorded at second? Blue rotates with the ball and follows the throw to first. He's got whatever is happening at second right in front of him. Home plate is 125 ft. away. How's he gonna call interference?

What is the direct line between bases? The runner establishes the basepath. If he can reach the bag, he can slide left, right or right into the bag.

This is back in the day, but we were taught to aim between the runner's eye's if he's coming in standing up. He'll get down. I might have interference if the baserunner makes contact or is away from the bag in an attempt to impede the throw. Baserunner has the same rights to the bag that the fielder does and he's got less room in which to navigate. If the runner is on the path to second that he created and he doesn't initiate contact, throw his hand at the ball or slide in cleats high and take the fielder out, how is he interfering? 'Excuse me sir, I didn't mean to be running towards the base you are stepping on. Which way shall I move so as to not impede your throw to retire my associate?'

Maybe, the plate umpire moves from behind the plate toward the 3B side of the mound and watches for the interference. That would be a good mechanic don't you think?

Lots of good points being made. Here are my thoughts. If the runner goes into second standing, big deal. That is not interference by itself. If he makes contact with a fielder who is even remotely looking like he is trying to turn two, I have interference. I don't think It matters if getting the second out was unlikely. If you have contact or an illegal slide you get two outs. The only caveat the that is, if the fielder is on the first base side of the bag he is fair game. As long as the slide is legal, the fielder is at risk of being slid into. As far as the responsibility for calling the interference, field umpire has the interference if he sees it. If the turn is made, he goes with the throw. Homeplate umpire has responsibility for interference after the turn is made. If he is doing his job, he should be near the pitcher's mound by the time the turn is made.

The point is any interference, out, dropped ball has occurred before field umpire even has to start thinking about rotating for the call at first. How's he making the out call at second which is micro seconds before a throw to first/interference call can be made. I don't see how in the world the shortstop or second basemen can record an out at second that the field umpire is responsible for and not see any interference that's going to happen before the throw to first unless the baserunner bats at the thrown ball. Then, plate umpire is coming up the third base line and making an interference call at the same time? Ok, he's 100 ft away instead of 125. Why is he making an intererence call on contact? Why would he make an interference call on a guy sliding into the defender from somewhere up the third base line? Ok, he's got tags when his partner has to go out on a fly ball. Why would he do anything on a double play ball except make sure the first baseman isn't pulling his foot? I guess I'm missing something. Seems to me the guy in the field has got everything he needs to make the call right in front of him. What if there's a guy on third coming home when this happens? Who's got the interference then?

Edited by ksgovols

Umpire coverages are based on a series of compromises. The more umpires you have, the less compromise. Interference after the turn is what the plate ump is looking for. Plate ump can also help with the pulled foot even if he is not in the best of positions if he has moved out to watch for the interference. Whoever came up with the mechanic felt the plate ump watching for interference was more important that watching for the pulled foot. That is the way it is taught. As far as having a runner at 3rd coming home, you still move out and watch for interference, glance at the runner touching home plate. Again, not ideal but another compromise. You don't have to agree with every mechanic, but be certain that the mechanics taught have had plenty of scrutiny prior to becoming the current standard. Not to say that they won't change it. It is being taught now where the plate ump takes the runner into third base on a bases empty triple. That is a relatively new mechanic.

I can understand U2 rotating down to home while U1 goes up the 3rd base line on a bases empty triple. I don't see how U1 has interference on say, the outfield side of 2nd base. U2 is in B position. He is right there. Interference after the touch at 2nd and the relay to first is after the fact anyway. Isn't U2 following the flight of the ball from second to first? What interference happens after the ball is released? I can see U1 having obstruction or touches on 3rd and foot off the bag and bobbles at first. Even tags and touches on 2nd when U2 goes out. I don't see how he sees interference at 2nd on a double play ball. I don't think I ever will. Maybe a conference between blues where they both ask 'what did you see?', but I don't see U1 calling interference on that play when U2 is right there watching it all.

Thanks for the explanation. Two man crews are tough and require good rotations and mechanics and communication. I think a no call is the best you're going to get if you're expecting most U1's to make an interference call from halfway up the third base line.

I think most of the contact after the throw would be from sliding thru the bag into the fielder on the outfield side of the bag. That is still interference, even if the ball is long gone. I've been umpiring for a few years now and called interference once on a double play situation. That one was a late slide into the fielder well off to the side of the bag. I was plate ump and called it.

First, my comment to glock sounded hateful and for that I apologize. Secondly, my comments applied to the specific scenario as relayed by the original poster. He said that the field ump said the fielder wouldn't have got the runner anyway. 'Evidently' in the field umps 'JUDGEMENT' there was no interference with a possible play. Therefore, the play is over. No arguing judgement calls. The OP then made the comment that the plate ump didn't have the 'kauhonies' to overrule the field ump. As long as I've been umping, it still gets me going for a coach/fan to scream at me to overrule my partner. WE DON'T WORK THAT WAY. If a coach wants to come and ask me what I seen when I made a call and ask me if I care to get help from my partner, I will do so without hessitation. We may talk about the weather, but we will get together and talk. If my partner tells me he seen something totally different, I will then chose to change or not change my call. If the coach ever ran to my partner and my partner changed my call I would leave the field and he could work by himself. Coaches......NOTE TO YOU...go to the ump that made the call (nicely) and ask if he cares to get help, your case will be heard. As for the mechanics on the specific scenario, if the field ump was in B he probably moved when the ball was hit to the SS to a postion that would block the plate umps vision of 2nd base anyway. My mechanics here are to see the out at second and follow the throw to first. If in my judgement standing 15 feet from the play there's no interfernce, then there's nothing to talk about.

As for sliding or not sliding, the runner didn't have to slide, however, if he did and he didn't slide directly into the base and went to either side as to breakup the throw, then I have both runners out. If he slides directly into the base and the fielder is standing on the base and the runner knocks him on his butt (without raising he leg above the knee), then tough luck to the fielder, he was protected if he moved to either side of the base. On the other hand, if the runner was out by 6 steps and kept going and slid into the fielder standing on the base, he's ejected for malicious contact.

It is a tough call for the plate umpire, but in terms of HS mechanics, it is his call. NFHS Umpires' Manual pg. 32( XII Game Situations (9):

DOUBLE PLAY(INTERFERENCE CALL AT 2ND BASE). Since U2 has both out calls at 2nd and at 1st in a two-man system, he must turn with the throw to first in order to make the call there. U1 must move out to watch the play at 2nd base for possible illegal slides or runner interference. If, in the judgment of U1, the runner at 2nd interferes AND prevented a possible play at first, then the batter-runner shall also be called out.

I can understand U2 rotating down to home while U1 goes up the 3rd base line on a bases empty triple. I don't see how U1 has interference on say, the outfield side of 2nd base. U2 is in B position. He is right there. Interference after the touch at 2nd and the relay to first is after the fact anyway. Isn't U2 following the flight of the ball from second to first? What interference happens after the ball is released? I can see U1 having obstruction or touches on 3rd and foot off the bag and bobbles at first. Even tags and touches on 2nd when U2 goes out. I don't see how he sees interference at 2nd on a double play ball. I don't think I ever will. Maybe a conference between blues where they both ask 'what did you see?', but I don't see U1 calling interference on that play when U2 is right there watching it all.

Thanks for the explanation. Two man crews are tough and require good rotations and mechanics and communication. I think a no call is the best you're going to get if you're expecting most U1's to make an interference call from halfway up the third base line.

Edited by rulesman09

THIS IS THE PLATE UMPIRES CALL!!!!!!!! THE FIELD UMPIRE CAN CALL IT IF HE SEES IT BUT THE PLATE UMPIRES JOB IS TO GET THE MASK OFF AND COME OUT FROM BEHIND THE PLATE TO THE LEFT OF THE MOUND ABOUT 10 FEET FROM IT AND MAKE THAT CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! PERIOD END OF STORY!

The point is any interference, out, dropped ball has occurred before field umpire even has to start thinking about rotating for the call at first. How's he making the out call at second which is micro seconds before a throw to first/interference call can be made. I don't see how in the world the shortstop or second basemen can record an out at second that the field umpire is responsible for and not see any interference that's going to happen before the throw to first unless the baserunner bats at the thrown ball. Then, plate umpire is coming up the third base line and making an interference call at the same time? Ok, he's 100 ft away instead of 125. Why is he making an intererence call on contact? Why would he make an interference call on a guy sliding into the defender from somewhere up the third base line? Ok, he's got tags when his partner has to go out on a fly ball. Why would he do anything on a double play ball except make sure the first baseman isn't pulling his foot? I guess I'm missing something. Seems to me the guy in the field has got everything he needs to make the call right in front of him. What if there's a guy on third coming home when this happens? Who's got the interference then?

A dropped ball was never part of the play or description of play. The point field ump made, which I thought had no bearing, was they "weren't going to get runner at 1st anyway".

Edited by haebvols