MJCA looking for a coach

I thought it would be announced today. Eddie's post is spot on, he's coming from Cumberland University.

He is very young, one year of HS asst coaching in Georgia and 5 years asst coaching at Cumberland.

Was a kicker in college. I hope for his sake he got a lot of what he was promised in writing.

One of the finest young coaches.He knows football and is very good for young men. Football is not a one man job so I just hope he can get some good help. 2-3 good assistants is all you need.I think coach Harrison was doing a good job just never had some good in-school assistants and they need to be in the school which might be hard due to teaching positions open. Edited by runtheball

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the finest young coaches.He knows football and is very good for young men. Football is not a one man job so I just hope he can get some good help. 2-3 good assistants is all you need.I think coach Harrison was doing a good job just never had some good in-school assistants and they need to be in the school which might be hard due to teaching positions open.

IF he gets two assistant in the building he will be miles ahead of the last two coaches there. I am sure he got a heck of a sales job to leave Cumberland where they have been winning. Maybe he knows a science guy that can coach FB. Good Luck Coach you will need it in dealing with the powers that be.

IF he gets two assistant in the building he will be miles ahead of the last two coaches there. I am sure he got a heck of a sales job to leave Cumberland where they have been winning. Maybe he knows a science guy that can coach FB. Good Luck Coach you will need it in dealing with the powers that be.

He is at Lebanon High school presently as a teacher\assistant football coach,this being his first year there. He was a GA at CU then a full-time position coach. Hope they give him some help like you say.

Bucksfan, the system won't allow me to respond to your message. So here goes, I am not connected to MJCA in any way. I am from Cosby TN but my buddy is a FCS man. I travel thru Wilson County quite a bit and have connections at a lot of schools. Nothing personal against PC, but for the life of me I can't figure out how he keeps his position as AD. MJCA is the worst sports program in TN period and he has total control over the results, but he has escaped accountability because MJCA fires headmasters every couple of years.

I wish the new coach well, but he has no idea what he's getting in to.

Bucksfan, the system won't allow me to respond to your message. So here goes, I am not connected to MJCA in any way. I am from Cosby TN but my buddy is a FCS man. I travel thru Wilson County quite a bit and have connections at a lot of schools. Nothing personal against PC, but for the life of me I can't figure out how he keeps his position as AD. MJCA is the worst sports program in TN period and he has total control over the results, but he has escaped accountability because MJCA fires headmasters every couple of years.

I wish the new coach well, but he has no idea what he's getting in to.

Nothing personal against PC,wow. Total control over what results? The school has limited funds. They can only buy so much for each sport. Coaching positions for all sports are teaching slots also. Football does need more assistants,other than that they have want is needed to be successful. The kids that come to MJCA come for many reasons. You are not going to ever get the best athletes for many reasons and PC is not that reason or the reason for anything.What should he do within the limitations the school has.Being in construction I am going to assume that you can't build something if you do not have the necessary materials. Edited by hardtackle

Nothing personal against PC,wow. Total control over what results? The school has limited funds. They can only buy so much for each sport. Coaching positions for all sports are teaching slots also. Football does need more assistants,other than that they have want is needed to be successful. The kids that come to MJCA come for many reasons. You are not going to ever get the best athletes for many reasons and PC is not that reason or the reason for anything.What should he do within the limitations the school has.Being in construction I am going to assume that you can't build something if you do not have the necessary materials.

When you are the AD you are held accountable for the sports programs under your direction. So what classes does the varsity baseball coach teach these days? Come on man, it's easy to throw out excuses. Bottom line, MJCA has thrown it's hat in the ring and devoted resources to soccer (how about that new soccer complex you guys are building) and basketball (coached by PC), every other sport is treated like a way to pass the time.

When you are the AD you are held accountable for the sports programs under your direction. So what classes does the varsity baseball coach teach these days? Come on man, it's easy to throw out excuses. Bottom line, MJCA has thrown it's hat in the ring and devoted resources to soccer (how about that new soccer complex you guys are building) and basketball (coached by PC), every other sport is treated like a way to pass the time.

I do not agree,football has had plenty of money spent on them. All sports are going to get things they need and that is how it goes. Every coach has different classes or responsibilities. You can complain all you want and bash all you want. Instead I suggest if you know this and still go there then they are OK with it. You still did not answer the question,what do they need to be a successful program? As compared to the ones you mention.

I do not agree,football has had plenty of money spent on them. All sports are going to get things they need and that is how it goes. Every coach has different classes or responsibilities. You can complain all you want and bash all you want. Instead I suggest if you know this and still go there then they are OK with it. You still did not answer the question,what do they need to be a successful program? As compared to the ones you mention.

First you say MJCA has limited funds and then you say they've spent plenty of money on football, which is it?

You do realize that every head coach at MJCA is not a faculty/staff member. I think they need a strong headmaster to run the school and hold the athletic program accountable.

Maybe you could be that person. You know about the school and would make the football program better and on equal footing as the other sports teams. You could fire PC and get some things done.

I could live in Wilson County, who do I need to talk to about that position? I might even keep ole PC around, with me as his mentor maybe I could shake him free of his old habits.

The baseball coach is a parent, not a staff member. They have had 5 different baseball coaches in the last 7 years.

The bottom line here is that the interim headmaster is the pulpit minister at the Baptist Church that houses the school. Coach Harrison is a member of the Church of Christ. Interim headmaster wanted a Baptist. To be honest, I have no problem with that. It is a private school and should be able to set their own guidelines for who works there. Obviously a public school cannot do that, but this is private. Lipscomb and Goodpasture require their employees to be members of the Church of Christ. No different if you ask me. That is how it goes in the private sector.

The school is small and hindered greatly by a lack of coaches in the building. A new coach is not going to change that. When you dress about 20 guys for football, you are going to struggle, period. The middle school team got killed every game and had about 10 6th graders dressed just to have enough to play. And please don't tell me about your 5th and 6th grade team's record. We both know that over half the players on that team do not attend MJCA and were just youth league players from Mt. Juliet that your parent/coach brought in. Those kids are not coming to MJCA. With Perry having Mt. Juliet High winning big, those players are going to go there. You are just not going to get the athletes at MJCA. The public schools are adequate enough to keep most of the kids and Friendship will get the the ones that want the private school setting. Their facilities make MJCA look like West Elementary.

The AD is responsible for the athletic programs and of course it about getting kids, but how hard are they trying. You can be creative to get more kids on your campus and the see what happens. If they fired Harrison based on him not being Baptist and that is a new policy by the new headmaster than so be it. Then they better fire a ton of teachers over there because I know for a fact they are not all baptist or attend baptist churches including the AD. The new soccer complex was about a donor who loves soccer and a deal was worked out with the YMCA, no one would turn down free money for any complex.

Good Luck Coach Roberts, the kids will work hard.

Edited by Bucksfan