Lebanon in trouble with TSSAA

oldfatcat

Nail on the head LOD.............it is the "thin blue line thing" and I know that you understand that!!

I literally HATE the 'thin blue line' c....ah...stuff. Laws are made for everybody and should be enforced the same. While I have made hundreds of arrests during my career, the two I am most proud of is busting two SHERIFFS. Not a couple of deputy's, but the actual Sheriffs. One was Fate Thomas in Nashville and the second was the NOW EX sheriff of Cannon County. While one went to prison, money talked in the second. That I had nothing to do with. I did my job gathering the evidence to convict.

Yes MBA, got busted. You will notice though they are still playing though after a HEFTY FINE. The money keeps rolling in, one way or the other.

Is he going to resign or be fired? I can't support a coach who purposely cheats and then says he didn't know the rules. If he didn't know then why did he call it Alabama Camoflague? He also has 2 coaches that have been coaching in tssaa for over 30 years a piece. Did they not tell him? I bet there are some other parents mad too. Especially if my son had a chance to compete for a starting spot this spring. The darn principal needs to step up and force a change before it gets worse.

I don't know why they are having to miss spring ball entirely. I know all 3 of these coaches and one day of Alabama Camo would be more than enough time for them to coach all they know about offense.

:roflol:

Spoken like a true fan of a 0-10 team from Fantasyland. No one said they APPROVED of it you are attacking. They are just commenting on the REALITY of things that DO go on.

If you are waiting for the T$$AA to do ANYTHING real about it, you have a better chance of seeing the second coming.

The cold hard facts of life is the only thing the T$$AA cares about is the continuing supply of funds coming in so they do not have to get a REAL JOB! <_<

Think about the teams they hit. Are they REAL contenders year after year? The short answer is NO. It does look good in the paper though. Sort of like the drug busts and hooker round ups that goes on right BEFORE an election.

:twisted::roflol:

Spoken like a true fan of a 0-10 team from Fantasyland. No one said they APPROVED of it you are attacking. They are just commenting on the REALITY of things that DO go on.

If you are waiting for the T$$AA to do ANYTHING real about it, you have a better chance of seeing the second coming.

The cold hard facts of life is the only thing the T$$AA cares about is the continuing supply of funds coming in so they do not have to get a REAL JOB! dry.gif

Think about the teams they hit. Are they REAL contenders year after year? The short answer is NO. It does look good in the paper though. Sort of like the drug busts and hooker round ups that goes on right BEFORE an election.

Had to give you a 1+ on this one.

Can someone explain the history and rationale of the spring practice rules? I suppose it has something to do with boys wanting to play spring sports, but feeling pressured by the football coach.

I can understand limiting pads, scrimmages, etc. to two weeks. But it seems to me that coaches should be able to work with players on things like technique, blocking schemes, walking through plays, defensive reads, etc. So much of that stuff depends on repetition. Especially if you have a new coach, like Mac at Marion County. His defense is very dynamic, and it takes a long time for the fellers to really start catching on.

Don't get me wrong. I'm with LOD. Rules are rules. If you don't like a rule, then get changed. So I ask, "Is the spring practice rule reasonable and justified?" If the majority think not, then the coaches should petition the T$$AA to change it.

I would like to pose the question, "How useful is spring practice?" Practicing in pads for two weeks in early May and then no padded practice until the last week in July...around 70+ days. Is it a program killer, or not that big a deal? I no longer coach football, but I always thought that spring practice is very over-rated, but that is just my opinion, I could very easily be wrong.

I would like to pose the question, "How useful is spring practice?" Practicing in pads for two weeks in early May and then no padded practice until the last week in July...around 70+ days. Is it a program killer, or not that big a deal? I no longer coach football, but I always thought that spring practice is very over-rated, but that is just my opinion, I could very easily be wrong.

It tells a coach a few things.

1. Who has actually been working in the weight room over the winter.

2. Who has actually studied the play book over the winter.

3. Who has grown and REALLY wants a spot in the lineup.

4. Which little Johnny needs to be playing defense vs offense.

5. Has basketball/baseball helped Johnny catch things better than he did in the fall.

6. Who is willing to give/take a HIT!

7. What adjustments HE as a coach needs to make to suit the players he has AND what he needs to stress in the summer.

The above is what a GOOD coach learns in spring if they have not been paying attention over the winter.

I actually think it needs to be 4 weeks long. Two in shorts/warmups/helmets BEFORE the two weeks of hitting.

I have coached in North Carolina that doesn't allow spring practice and states like Texas that limit spring practice to the largest schools. I believe we have a good balance in Tennessee that allows coaches to get a quick look at their teams while not being too intrusive to spring sports like track, soccer and baseball.

We have 15 days to get in 10 days in pads, including two scrimmages. Coaches can use this time to evaluate who is ready to move up to compete in the fall. Lost old dad, a coach can spread out those ten days over the three week period, using the early days in shorts without a football to condition and prepare for the season without breaking the rules. Once the 15 day window begins, coaches can work toward a goal of preparing a handful of offensive plays and work the fundamentals of the defense. It is more essential for the larger programs to use this time to weed out the contenders from the kids who aren't ready. Of course, you won't have all the athletes in the spring but you will get a chance to evaluate some young men who may get overlooked when everyone is in the mix.

The one thing I wish we had in Tennessee is a statewide summer passing league with playoffs like Texas and some other states have that begins in June and ends in July. The TSSAA could sponsor it along with Nike or some other company, using the month of June to establish the top teams in the state, and after the break, come back in July with the playoffs having a state championship tournament in Middle TN the third week of July, kicking off the football season.

I would not be opposed to eliminating Spring practice all together under a few circumstances: 1) eliminate it across the board. 2) Give us June with a football and allow "passing Leagues" (7 on 7). 3) Give the 1 extra week in the fall for full pads that EVERY COACH in TN wants. 4) If there is a dead period, put it at the first of June so that we do not lose what we have taught in the weightroom and conditioning leading up to the dead period.