Urban Private School Bullies

DeKalbsCoachK

Thank goodness Indiana Basketball's tiny Milan High School in 1954 didn't have this "Whoa is Me" attitude. The country would have been cheated of one of the all time great underdog movies..."Hoosiers". If and when Dekalb County (where is that?)pulls off an upset of a larger...or a private...or simply a better team, it will create memories for your boys for many years. Instead, you are likely unconsciously passing along an "it ain't fair" attitude that will hamper their (and their families) enjoyment of sports forever. Toughen up! Sometimes, life ain't fair!

And believe me, we all hear you and we get it. Ding, ding, round 4,000,001.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rural public DeKalb County again faced the Chattanooga Private bullies. Chattanooga Christian played a great game last night, and physically out matched Dekalb. Chattanooga Christian is a soccer powerhouse. My only question is, why do they keep playing A-AA instead of going DII or moving up to AAA. Do they really get satisfaction from beating up on smaller rural public schools?

It is a valid question. I don't have a dog in this hunt other than my son's school plays their share of non-AAA teams each year in trying to go up against strong non district talent. As a AAA squad they usually win about 50% of those games and either way it is usually a 1 goal differential. The point is Chattanooga Christian is good enough to be playing AAA so why have they made the decision to compete in A-AA versus moving to AAA. Obviously CAK is another team that falls into this mix (sorry "G" but I must have missed the 3,999,999th time this topic came up).

I think for those of us who are not as familiar with all the various classifications and how they came about it is a valid question. I am much more familiar with the Division II AA teams like Father Ryan, Christian Brothers, and MUS. Knox Catholic elected to move to AAA from their previous division which I was thinking was DII AA. Why did Knox Catholic make that decision when others have not? I am under the assumption that any school can chose the classification they play in as long as they meet some kind of minimum criteria. Thanks to those of you who have the acumen and time in TSSAA to know these things for any enlightening information.

Thank you BarcaFan, someone who finally sees the question, rather than just berate the questioner. So, the question still remains why don't those teams move up or go to DII? (For those who don't know where DeKalb Co. is, its between Lebanon and Cookeville on interstate 40. The largest city is Smithville. The entire county population is 18,000 which is less than 4 sq. mi. surrounding Chatt. Christian)

As for "TheFactsOnly" we certainly don't have a "whoa is me" attitude as you can see by our scheduling, we play the hardest teams we can outside of our district to prepare, and when we do win we will know how hard it has been to get there.

Thank you BarcaFan, someone who finally sees the question, rather than just berate the questioner. So, the question still remains why don't those teams move up or go to DII? (For those who don't know where DeKalb Co. is, its between Lebanon and Cookeville on interstate 40. The largest city is Smithville. The entire county population is 18,000 which is less than 4 sq. mi. surrounding Chatt. Christian)

As for "TheFactsOnly" we certainly don't have a "whoa is me" attitude as you can see by our scheduling, we play the hardest teams we can outside of our district to prepare, and when we do win we will know how hard it has been to get there.

You didn't answer my question...

Isn't it actually a matter of urban vs. rural? You yourself used that as the example in your argument:

they are an excellent team with obviously a better pool of atheletes to draw from, so why don't they, and other urban private schools with such population density to draw from, move up and play public schools with simmilar opportunity?

Why just urban private schools? Why not all urban schools?

Isn't it actually a matter of urban vs. rural? You yourself used that as the example in your argument:

"G" I get your take on that and it is legitimate. I think CoachK set himself up for some of the other posts by making it seem like a "Private" issue. So let's take that out of the equation because after all the way I see it these schools may have chosen their classification or been classified from long ago and have chosen to remain where they are for various reasons not the least of which may be they just have not delved into changing their classification. I assume they could however...correct?

If they can then I took CoachK's post as just saying sort of a why wouldn't they want greater competition in their district classification. My response to that would be if I am CCS or CAK or one of the other top A-AA schools and I play the very best competetion regardless of my classification and ultimately have a great shot at winning lots of state championships then why would I change? "G" you should have an opinion on that coming from experience.

One thing CoachK...you may have been able to avoid some of the jabbing if you had left "Bullies" out of the topic.

Enjoy tonight's games gentlemen!

Edited by BarcaFan

Barca,

Agreed.

Also, we tend to think that the private soccer teams have a say in the matter. Even if we wanted to play in AAA or D2, it wouldn't matter. The administration does what they want, and then we play where we are put. That is why CAK tries to schedule the hardest local teams that it can outside of their schedule.

The only team that I know of that was in A/AA that chose to play "up" was Greeneville. And now, Greeneville is back in A/AA.

There will ALWAYS be disparity in sports.

With soccer, it has been, and always will be, because of the number of club players on the high school teams.

At least there is some interest now. I am going to throw out an idea that is not my own, but been presented many times by a good friend. We reclassify every 4 years based on performance. If you are doing great, you move up to tougher competition, if you are down than you move down. It will keep things competitive. Honestly, that would make sure the best, regardless of size or class as public/private, play each other at the end. You could still set levels like minor league baseball. There have been times a AA/A public could crush a AAA champ, AAA crush a AA private.....etc. We could have competitive games around that reward hard work at the Spring Fling. I think it would also help represent our state more in these National Rankings. Maybe review it every 2 years. I think it is a great idea.

And you wonder why you see a bunker defense? Chattanooga has how many different travel team in the city? Three four five? There is maybe one in a five county area here. There is a difference. But the little hick school can win and has. Lol.

At least there is some interest now. I am going to throw out an idea that is not my own, but been presented many times by a good friend. We reclassify every 4 years based on performance. If you are doing great, you move up to tougher competition, if you are down than you move down. It will keep things competitive. Honestly, that would make sure the best, regardless of size or class as public/private, play each other at the end. You could still set levels like minor league baseball. There have been times a AA/A public could crush a AAA champ, AAA crush a AA private.....etc. We could have competitive games around that reward hard work at the Spring Fling. I think it would also help represent our state more in these National Rankings. Maybe review it every 2 years. I think it is a great idea.

I think that would be great. It would be like relagation in the EPL and you could still have multiple championships based on which division you play in. Your regular season standing determins if you move up or down.

Edited by BarcaFan

I think that would be great. It would be like relagation in the EPL and you could still have multiple championships based on which division you play in. Your regular season standing determins if you move up or down.

I agree. I am a true fan of the Merit Based System BUT it would be so hard to regulate. And, I think would be a tough sell to the TSSAA.