AAA State Bracket

TheFactsOnly

Tuesday, May 22

4:30 p.m. - Match 1 - Houston (14-6-3) vs. Riverdale (13-2-3)

7:00 p.m. - Match 2 - Brentwood (16-1-2) vs. Science Hill (16-5-1)

5:00 p.m. - Match 3 - Ravenwood (18-3-4) vs. Collierville (12-4-4)

7:30 p.m. - Match 4 - Bearden (16-3-5) vs. Columbia Central (13-6-1)

Wednesday, May 23

5:00 p.m. - Match 5 - Winner of Match 1 vs. Winner of Match 2

7:30 p.m. - Match 6 - Winner of Match 3 vs. Winner of Match 4

Friday, May 25

7:00 p.m. - Match 7 - Winner of Match 5 vs. Winner of Match 6

Edited by TheFactsOnly

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuesday, May 22

4:30 p.m. - Match 1 - Houston (14-6-3) vs. Riverdale (12-2-3)

7:00 p.m. - Match 2 - Brentwood (16-1-2) vs. Science Hill (16-5-1)

5:00 p.m. - Match 3 - Ravenwood (18-3-4) vs. Collierville (12-4-4)

7:30 p.m. - Match 4 - Bearden (16-3-5) vs. Columbia Central (13-6-1)

Wednesday, May 23

5:00 p.m. - Match 5 - Winner of Match 1 vs. Winner of Match 2

7:30 p.m. - Match 6 - Winner of Match 3 vs. Winner of Match 4

Friday, May 25

7:00 p.m. - Match 7 - Winner of Match 5 vs. Winner of Match 6

Predicted winners in bold.

Quick question...

How do they make the brackets for the state tourney? Is it still "random"? If so, surely there's a better way to do this. I feel like too often the two best teams play each other in the quarter-finals.

Also, I'm guessing they have a way of ensuring two teams from the same district / region don't play each other until the final (which is a good thing). Is this correct?

How do they make the brackets for the state tourney? Is it still "random"? If so, surely there's a better way to do this. I feel like too often the two best teams play each other in the quarter-finals.

My understanding is that the draw is still random, with the caveat that teams from the same region must be placed in opposite brackets. Interesting, are you claiming the two best teams are matched in the quarterfinal? If so, which two?

My understanding is that the draw is still random, with the caveat that teams from the same region must be placed in opposite brackets. Interesting, are you claiming the two best teams are matched in the quarterfinal? If so, which two?

That was bad wording on my part. I shouldn't have said "too often". But I have thought this in the past, about quarterfinal match-ups. The Brentwood vs Science Hill match-up is the one that prompted my previous post. However, after further consideration, that may not be #1 and #2 (Brentwood is definitely #1 though). More than anything it just got me thinking about the way they draw the brackets. I think it should be less random. I don't know exactly how, but surely there's a few options out there.

I have seen a few quarterfinal match-ups in previous years that were, IMO, #1 and #2.

Now I know that I have Riverdale picked to win. But I don't think we are giving this Houston team enough credit. I agree with the fact that the best two teams play in the quarter finals, but I also think That side of the bracket is insane. Riverdale and Houston are in my opinion the 3rd and 4th best teams in the tournament. I know I have argued for my Columbia team all season long, but I honestly find the state champions winner coming out of that side of the bracket.

Now I know that I have Riverdale picked to win. But I don't think we are giving this Houston team enough credit. I agree with the fact that the best two teams play in the quarter finals, but I also think That side of the bracket is insane. Riverdale and Houston are in my opinion the 3rd and 4th best teams in the tournament. I know I have argued for my Columbia team all season long, but I honestly find the state champions winner coming out of that side of the bracket.

While I do not think this is one of Houston's stronger teams in recent history, they have always played a diagonal crossing attack of through balls which puts tremendous pressure on the defense to take right angles and connecting with one hoppers well.

The real pressing question with Riverdale is whether or not their first team goalie will be able to play. Their backup made some tremendous saves against Columbia, but he was tentative about coming off the line. He cannot afford to be tomorrow. Watching Riverdale many times though this year, their strength is their ability to limit shot on goal.

The real pressing question with Riverdale is whether or not their first team goalie will be able to play. Their backup made some tremendous saves against Columbia, but he was tentative about coming off the line.

The starting goalkeeper DID play against Columbia. I am certain the team and the goalkeeper (whichever one is given the assignment) will be ready.

Edited by TheFactsOnly