Obion County Central featured on Football Scoop

Marv58

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope not the same at all. Coach Jackson first season 0-10...... bowling 8-4.... then coach Jackson won more games each year including advancing to second round where bowlings wins dropped off after first year. One season of the veer Then everyone knew How to defend it. Same when he was at dyersburg. You can twist stats to come out in favor of any argument.

I played all four years with the veer at OC. Outside of Haywood, the only team that could stop us was us. When ran correctly, you can't stop that offense.

No dude- what's useless is your arguments on what turned the program around and who turned the program around. Let's not get to caught up in records and take a look at the BIG PICTURE of what it takes to build a PROGRAM. When Coach Shanks came in during the mid 90's- he started a pee-wee football program and got the kids involved in football- teaching them the fundamentals at a young age. it's no secret at that time that OCCHS was known as a 'basketball school' with much success in that area- Young kids in the elementary school grades started to take up football more and more and those youngsters that played back then where the high school Rebels from the early to mid-2000s and on to this day. So let's not drown ourselves in the Rebel Kool-Aid of the program being turned around in the last couple of years-- it's a long process that began a couple of decades ago. By the way- If you folks on here wanna compare this coach to that coach- OC had back to back solid winning seasons in the early 70's.(one of those a 9 win season) So it comes with the territory-- usually in the case of some of the schools that are not the traditional football powerhouse schools, (like the Milans and the Huntingdons, etc.) one usually has one very good season every 4 to 5 years and so-so the rest of the time.. As long as the kids work hard and stay dedicated and are 'well coached' , then everyone should be able to live with the results, no matter what they are.cool.png

Kids working hard and staying dedicated is a direct result of coaching. Turning the program around is bigger than wins and losses. Its everything as a whole. Research how many football players have graduated and went on to attend college since Jackson has been there. Compared to previous five years. See how many seniors this year graduate and go to college. Kids don't run wild there like they used to, there is alot of pride in being a rebel now. Every former player that comes and visits is blown away by the changes. I know unless you have a family member involved or have been around, you have no idea how things have changed. I've been around off and on since bowlin era, have had kids of different ages come thru there. 100% different culture there. Period.

No dude- what's useless is your arguments on what turned the program around and who turned the program around. Let's not get to caught up in records and take a look at the BIG PICTURE of what it takes to build a PROGRAM. When Coach Shanks came in during the mid 90's- he started a pee-wee football program and got the kids involved in football- teaching them the fundamentals at a young age. it's no secret at that time that OCCHS was known as a 'basketball school' with much success in that area- Young kids in the elementary school grades started to take up football more and more and those youngsters that played back then where the high school Rebels from the early to mid-2000s and on to this day. So let's not drown ourselves in the Rebel Kool-Aid of the program being turned around in the last couple of years-- it's a long process that began a couple of decades ago. By the way- If you folks on here wanna compare this coach to that coach- OC had back to back solid winning seasons in the early 70's.(one of those a 9 win season) So it comes with the territory-- usually in the case of some of the schools that are not the traditional football powerhouse schools, (like the Milans and the Huntingdons, etc.) one usually has one very good season every 4 to 5 years and so-so the rest of the time.. As long as the kids work hard and stay dedicated and are 'well coached' , then everyone should be able to live with the results, no matter what they are.cool.png

Thanks for the shout out to my beloved Bulldawgs!!thumb[1].gif

No problem Big Purple. Always enjoy watching Milan because they play the game the 'right way", they are always consistent, year in and year out, and they don't have several turnovers on their coaching staff every year.cool.png Teachers don't have to worry about a coach threatening them to pass a player if they wanna keep their job like some programs have been known to do. Or sweep something a kid does wrong "under the rug' because they think they need him to play to win on Friday nights. Other coaches could and should take note of the 'tradition' of programs like a Milan has and why they are competitive, winning programs each season. Doing it the 'right way'.

No problem Big Purple. Always enjoy watching Milan because they play the game the 'right way", they are always consistent, year in and year out, and they don't have several turnovers on their coaching staff every year.cool.png Teachers don't have to worry about a coach threatening them to pass a player if they wanna keep their job like some programs have been known to do. Or sweep something a kid does wrong "under the rug' because they think they need him to play to win on Friday nights. Other coaches could and should take note of the 'tradition' of programs like a Milan has and why they are competitive, winning programs each season. Doing it the 'right way'.

I played ball in Milan for Jeff Morris. They definitely do things the right way. If you don't make the grades, miss practice or get in trouble in school and the community, you don't play. We understood that as players, we were representatives of our school and community and the coaches would not settle for us giving less than our best on and off the field.

Lets look at this deeper you brag about all the "players" who have been to college lets list them. Patrick Haskins (Austin Peay University) didnt Last a semester. Aaron Cary (Kilgore College) back home before a semester, Steven Patton (Carson Newman) One semester done ( Jacquis Williams) One semester done, Marcus Parr (Atlanta Prep) few weeks done. Fair (UTM) Yet to be determined. Machine you make all these arguments, and yet have no facts to base around your "Program" that builds better character and successful people. No, Instead you cheat their way through school, change grades, select athletes in better "optional classes" i.e, Coaches class, and even worse the administration demands grades be changed for "select Athletes". Is that the kind of character that builds a successful athlete when he leaves a school? Whats a school wiling to do to win a few more games. That needs to be the topic here.

Dude I said football players not scholarships! FOOTBALL PLAYERS PERIOD! Trying to make the point of all those kids being pushed towards college. I've never heard of your other allegations. Perhaps you should bring your proof to the school board, protect kids with your Good intentions! Read before you type, nowhere did I say football scholarships. Sounds Like your the one with bad intentions. Patrick Haskins I'm not sure What he is doing I Haven't heard. Aaron Cary is in the military in boot camp right now. Steven Patton is still in college just not playing football. Jaquis last I heard is headed to California to another school, working and doing good. Not sure what Marcus parr is doing. And alot of other graduates from last years team are in college now as well. Alot of Good kids come thru That program. Don't need stats to tell me That!!

Three kids suspended for last game. Two of the three were starters. Don't think obion sweeps things under the rug.

Here's a thought! Truth1,redbirdfan, sonofmandung, why don't you three put on your big boy pants and be a man for once and take your complaints face to face to coach Jackson? Stop taking cheap shots at the kids or program. Nobody is on here downing dyersburg kids, or Gibson county kids, or Bolivar kids. I'm not coming on here to argue with you all. If you were let go as a coach from oc, they wouldn't hire you, or have some other grudge, Please move on. Start your own thread on topix or something and lets ALL keep this about football. Not about personal vendettas or coaches that still need car seats. Its time for the 2012 season!

I can tell you right now that I hope no one ever posts a video of My beloved Tornados working out. I mean we have completely gotten of the subject. Completely. I will say that Im glad to see OC working hard to get better and build character. I still dont believe they will have much success in 4A competition. Just dont have the horses. Sorry guys. Dont forget that everyone else is out there working hard too. Many of them have the athletes to outlast your hard work. Either way it all starts in less than a month.

I can tell you right now that I hope no one ever posts a video of My beloved Tornados working out. I mean we have completely gotten of the subject. Completely. I will say that Im glad to see OC working hard to get better and build character. I still dont believe they will have much success in 4A competition. Just dont have the horses. Sorry guys. Dont forget that everyone else is out there working hard too. Many of them have the athletes to outlast your hard work. Either way it all starts in less than a month.

Very true....something the Rebels football program deals with just about year in and year out. When you haave 1 year with a winning record and the next three are below 500%....your program is not heading up and is staying the same. A team filled with true athletes and send a game plaan right down the drain....has happened to many teams. From what I know and have been told as well as seeing the tape that was posted....they may have a line but what good is that with no skilled athletes and size doesn't mean everything. Union City has been out manned many times on the line and has whipped them many times and been whipped some on the other side also. Good luck.

Very true....something the Rebels football program deals with just about year in and year out. When you haave 1 year with a winning record and the next three are below 500%....your program is not heading up and is staying the same. A team filled with true athletes and send a game plaan right down the drain....has happened to many teams. From what I know and have been told as well as seeing the tape that was posted....they may have a line but what good is that with no skilled athletes and size doesn't mean everything. Union City has been out manned many times on the line and has whipped them many times and been whipped some on the other side also. Good luck.

And you were at Just about every oc game last year hanging on the fence. Now this year your back to Uc because there going to Be better.