is there some sort of mystique about maryville?

Governm

I don't know any of the coaches like many of you guys do. BUT...I doubt even JG or GQ could go to hairtage and win in the near future.They may be hoots, and they may even be nice guys. Time will tell on Hammontree - if he stays that long.

IMO a bigger reason for our success is the 50+ freshmen and 100+ sophs, jrs, and srs wanting to play. Most of these kids have had quality coaching at the middle school and youth leagues. Add to that interest a couple of quality transfers every couple of years.

Unless things have really changed in the 50 years since I last played, your team is better when you have enough quality kids to have quality practices. I would assume we could find 25 quality kids for practice out of the 150+ wanting to play football. Then, we put alot of good athletes on the field on friday nights (uh..and sundays). And sure, JG spreads'em out and says don't get beat deep, while GQ finds and picks on the weak spot in the defense.

Add to that our new jumbo tron, fake turf, the red and black, our own referees, the rebel flags, and judkins on the mic. All of that together makes the mystique. I wish the band still played SHAFT. Right On!

You don't reckon GQ has anything to do with those 50 freshman and 100 Sophomores coming out do you ? No GQ wouldn't have the success at Heritage as he does at Maryville , but they would be an entirely different team with him there . I just hope George doesn't embarrass you this year .

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great guy and a great coach. I've been hearing somethings maybe somebody out there can help me with. I know he has retired from teaching, and he plans on coaching both football and baseball the upcoming year. Rumor I've heard is that Coach Hochevar may be coming to take over baseball next year. Anyone know anything about that? How about football after this year?

Boom! Wow! That would be a great hire for baseball fans in Blount County! I know for a fact he has a network of at least one major college coach in his directory which is better than we have now.

This is a good post. I am an Oak Ridge fan and of course Clinton has always been one of our main rivals, even though we have dominated them pretty thoroughly over the years. But, i remember when Jimmy Gaylor was @ Clinton. He fielded a tough, hard nosed team most every year. And Clinton never was much before Gaylor got there i don't think. They may have had a few good years along the way, maybe Dragon92 can correct me on that, but historically they have never been very good besides the time Jim Gaylor was there. Went to the finals in 92 and Lost to Gallatin. Gaylor beat OR twice...Once in 92 when they went to state and 1998. That was a dang good Clinton team. I am sure you Maryville fans can remember some tough Clinton teams as well when Gaylor was there being you guys were in the same district at one time, right? Either way, i think you are right RebelRon, and i have said this before. I think Jim Gaylor is the most overlooked of those great Maryville coaches.

That 92 Clinton team beat Maryville like a drum in the opening round of the playoffs. I think the score was 45-14.

I don't know any of the coaches like many of you guys do. BUT...I doubt even JG or GQ could go to hairtage and win in the near future.They may be hoots, and they may even be nice guys. Time will tell on Hammontree - if he stays that long.

IMO a bigger reason for our success is the 50+ freshmen and 100+ sophs, jrs, and srs wanting to play. Most of these kids have had quality coaching at the middle school and youth leagues. Add to that interest a couple of quality transfers every couple of years.

Unless things have really changed in the 50 years since I last played, your team is better when you have enough quality kids to have quality practices. I would assume we could find 25 quality kids for practice out of the 150+ wanting to play football. Then, we put alot of good athletes on the field on friday nights (uh..and sundays). And sure, JG spreads'em out and says don't get beat deep, while GQ finds and picks on the weak spot in the defense.

Add to that our new jumbo tron, fake turf, the red and black, our own referees, the rebel flags, and judkins on the mic. All of that together makes the mystique. I wish the band still played SHAFT. Right On!

You put Maryville's staff at any school in Tennessee and I would bet lots of money they would be much better. Maryville has great tradition in winning but they don't put a lot of players in the NFL. I don't see any Peyton Manning,Eric Berry,Trent Richardson,Jamal Lewis or Leonard Little type players coming from Maryville.

Maryville won big in the 70s because of Ted Wilson and his staff. Maryville is winning big now because of GQ and his staff.

You put Maryville's staff at any school in Tennessee and I would bet lots of money they would be much better. Maryville has great tradition in winning but they don't put a lot of players in the NFL. I don't see any Peyton Manning,Eric Berry,Trent Richardson,Jamal Lewis or Leonard Little type players coming from Maryville.

Maryville won big in the 70s because of Ted Wilson and his staff. Maryville is winning big now because of GQ and his staff.

Couldn't agree more.

So what do you think?

80% X's and O's/20% jimmy's and joe's

Murvil's coaches can definitely beat most with similar talent. But I say the success is 75% jimmy's and joe's. They have had some really good players up there the past 10-12 years, and then they do coach'em up. But you are right RR, no Peyton Mannings. They have had more D1 talent the last ten years than they had in the 70's - I think. Maybe Coach Wilson and his staff was even better?popcorneater.gif

So what do you think?

Murvil's coaches can definitely beat most with similar talent. But I say the success is 75% jimmy's and joe's.

Yeah ok eye gotcha sx...."jimmy" Gaylor and "joe" Robinette are vurry valuabull.....And sew wuz... "Big Ted"...."Tater"....."D.W.".... two....thumb[1].gif

As usual, you are way ahead of me stars. As far as I know, all those guys are good coaches and good men.

sx eye'm way beehind evurbodee....Dr. Fergusson wint thru two cases of red ank pins on me durin' my 7 yeer stay att 825 Lawrence.......

Butt eye do thank tha playurs izz purtee good two...Don't chewe?...thumb[1].gif

Edited by STARSNBARS

So what do you think?

Murvil's coaches can definitely beat most with similar talent. But I say the success is 75% jimmy's and joe's. They have had some really good players up there the past 10-12 years, and then they do coach'em up. But you are right RR, no Peyton Mannings. They have had more D1 talent the last ten years than they had in the 70's - I think. Maybe Coach Wilson and his staff was even better?popcorneater.gif

Just an outsiders observation, I would say the X's and O's would be at least 50% or better of the long term success that Maryville has had. No doubt Maryville has very good players and they have been coached from youth league & up on the fundamentals of football and they know how to win and expect to win. But when you watch Maryville as they progress deeper and deeper into the playoffs each year you notice teams with some very good talent, often times more talent, speed & size than the Rebels in my opinion. But due to disciplined played, toughness, football sense, execution and good game plans Maryville typically prevails. I attribute those characteristics to coaching.

I always liked the theme from Marlboro.