Can we say Riverdale?

boneal52

That's right, the three time and defending 5A champs are quitely lurking around the corner. All of the talk in 5A goes to Galatin's outstanding season, the success of Crawford at Brentwood, and the surprise of the Franklin Rebels under Tim Johnson. Outside the midstate, Abe Felix of Houston is garnering alot of ink as are the Red Devils of Germantown. And early in the year, all the talk was of how Lincoln County knocked off the might Warriors. But this sets the stage well for Riverdale. 7-1 is not as nice as 8-0 for them, but its also a good thing. They're scarred, and know the pain of defeat. A loss is one of the biggest opportunities in our sport, becuase if you handle it like a muture young man, you can learn alot about yourself from it. As they have reeled off win after win since then, many in impressive fashion, I'd say Riverdale learned about themselves. So now, with two games left in the regular season (one against a tough Smyrna squad and one with Mt. Juliet) they should come into the playoffs with a 9-1 record and a number one seed. This is where I think they'll turn up the burners a little bit. They will take no one for granted and will come out playing hard. Led by a savvy QB in Stephen Britton who through 7 games had yet to throw an interception, I think they'll do some heavy damage in 5A. In fact I think now they are the most dangerous team in 5A, and I am hoping they get in a huge playoff matchup with Galatin. I'm picking the Warriors to add title number four this year. Maybe they wont, but its something to think about.

Looking at the teams/regions in RHS's side of the bracket, I'd say they have a very good chance of getting back.

No one has been able to score on them all year. And I don't see any real great offenses in that bracket. Brentwood, Germantown, Houston, Gallatin. They're all in the other bracket.

So Riverdale won't have any excuses if they don't make it to the finals. The teams that could beat them are all on the other bracket.

Well for starters, I am not even really a Riverdale supporter. I played at Centennial and got pasted by them twice in my career. But I do have the utmost respect for them. I've never understood why all the Warrior haters out there felt like they do, becuase my experience is that they are a well coached, classy group of kids. But no, I have no affiliation with Riverdale, I just call it like I see it.

Also, no offense meant to Blackman. I think they are a viable threat but a playoff matchup would be held at Riverdale (barring no losses for either squad) and that's a tough place to play. Also, I think Riverdale is still a step ahead of the Blaze overall. But yes, they pose a threat.

Posted by boneal52:

That's right, the three time and defending 5A champs are quitely lurking around the corner. All of the talk in 5A goes to Galatin's outstanding season, the success of Crawford at Brentwood, and the surprise of the Franklin Rebels under Tim Johnson. Outside the midstate, Abe Felix of Houston is garnering alot of ink as are the Red Devils of Germantown. And early in the year, all the talk was of how Lincoln County knocked off the might Warriors. But this sets the stage well for Riverdale. 7-1 is not as nice as 8-0 for them, but its also a good thing. They're scarred, and know the pain of defeat. A loss is one of the biggest opportunities in our sport, becuase if you handle it like a muture young man, you can learn alot about yourself from it. As they have reeled off win after win since then, many in impressive fashion, I'd say Riverdale learned about themselves. So now, with two games left in the regular season (one against a tough Smyrna squad and one with Mt. Juliet) they should come into the playoffs with a 9-1 record and a number one seed. This is where I think they'll turn up the burners a little bit. They will take no one for granted and will come out playing hard. Led by a savvy QB in Stephen Britton who through 7 games had yet to throw an interception, I think they'll do some heavy damage in 5A. In fact I think now they are the most dangerous team in 5A, and I am hoping they get in a huge playoff matchup with Galatin. I'm picking the Warriors to add title number four this year. Maybe they wont, but its something to think about.

I can say Riverdale, but oops you forgot to say Jackson Central-Merry. ;)

Fireback,

I think the talking goes both ways, but if you notice its usually those with the least to do with the game that do the mos talking. Students and fans talk a lot, but we don't have any real impact on the game. What we noticed about that game was the sign that the Blackman students brought out on the field in front of our crowd ridiculing one of our players. Based on just that, I could paint all Blackman fans with a wide brush and give them no respect.

The game is played on the field, and like Riverdale or not, you have to respect their accomplishments.

Well I do not like Riverdale. But I do have respect for them. 3 time State Champions and by far the most impressive team of the 90's. However I could write a small book on why I dislike them. And once again I hear that Rankin may be leaving for another school. Why is he rumored to be leaving this time? Ego or money? Or maybe that siegel and Blackman will soon be in full swing the talent level is running low and a quick jump to Georgia is the answer. Whatever the case just like with Gallatin and Brentwood Aca. he is talking about jumping out of the Riverdale ship. Can the Riverdale booster club not keep him satisfied? Anyway I have seen Riverdale twice this year and I have not been impressed either time. (Dickson Co and Oakland) They definitely look like they are missing a piece in their puzzle. At least compared to the last couple of years. The one bright spot for them is the east side of the bracket may be the weaker side this year. Maybe the Green Wave will play them in the championship. Gallatin will have to fight through the playoffs first. That will not be easy! One good thing I can say about Riverdale....Dave Thomas that guy can play ball for a soph ;)