GREENEVILLE at Science Hill

DevilMan03

Science Hill won't be able to stop Gvilles runnin game, which goes 5 deep at runnin back. If the devils inexperienced defense can slow down the hiltoppers offense than it won't be a close game, but if the devils d doesn't play good than Gvilles wins in a close one.

That's exactly right, the devils wear people down by pounding the rock and will keep the inexperienced D off the field by good clock management.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Science Hill won't be able to stop Gvilles runnin game, which goes 5 deep at runnin back. If the devils inexperienced defense can slow down the hiltoppers offense than it won't be a close game, but if the devils d doesn't play good than Gvilles wins in a close one.

5 deep at running back generally means they dont have stand out back. there is a difference you know.

The Devils will not go to the hill and lay down... Remember these kid and coaches are WINNERS.. Yes they are young and have only a few returning starters but they've all been in this winning atmosphere for years and WILL get the job done.... Happy to see Wright and Rollins back on the field.

GREENVILLE.... 28

THE HILL...... 17

The Devils will not go to the hill and lay down... Remember these kid and coaches are WINNERS.. Yes they are young and have only a few returning starters but they've all been in this winning atmosphere for years and WILL get the job done.... Happy to see Wright and Rollins back on the field.

GREENVILLE.... 28

THE HILL...... 17

Happy to see bmoreman back on here!!!

GREENVILLE.... 28

THE HILL...... 17

And Science Hill could say that will win to prove to everyone that they are ready to ascend out of the doldrums of mediocrity...I for one are not overly concerned with the "intangibles" relating to this contest. I'd rather hear how Greeneville and Science Hill match up.

Reading back through the thread, I see where Greeneville lost 10 starters on defense and the previous Mr. Football. I see where you have 5 RB; most schools list 5+ on their depth charts. Tell us about the top 1 or 2 that will get the bulk of the carries. From what I read, Greeneville has several returning players, but those players have limited playing time. There is also Greeneville's scrimmage against DB to look at for info (and yes, I know, it was a scrimmage).

Sadly, I don't have anything on Science Hill since I've been living outside TN for the past 4 months. I haven't heard anything regarding SH's scrimmages and the Big 8 Jamboree was cancelled.

Not trying to start anything, just wished we had some more substantial facts from both camps.

Well, not much new info here but for what it's worth. Coach Carter did wonders with S. South. Now he's at The Hill which last year was the biggest school in TSSAA so he has loads more to work with. I think Science Hill can only get better and if there was a year to beat them it was last year or possibly sneak one in on them at the beginning of this year. I hear SH has some pretty good sized RBs and a lot of speed on the WR side

BB, let the game speak for itself, no use in building up your Devils until the game is over. They looked really good in the BRAC jamboree, but this will be a much stronger apponent than any school you will face in the BRAC! Get real bud, they will trample in the Brac, but lets just see how they fair against other teams on the schedule!

Edited by WGHS1987

Was able to catch most of Stacy's Carter radio "show" while passing through the area today. Coach Nelson, Asst Head Coach and Def. Coordinator was also there. Some of the highlights:

Coach Carter:

90 on roster - depth at every position

Had to pull some numbers out of retirement to satisfy everyone on the roster

16 returning starters, 3 returning starters on o-Line

Starting QB - Senior Reed Hayes

Feels that this is the most talented team on paper he's ever had, remains to be seen what they can do with it (this is a real softball for you DB people)

Talked about challenging the team leadership, felt team wasn't mentally game ready for the Knox West scrimmage. Felt much better about the Cherokee scrimmage. Both scrimmages were shortened due to weather.

Feels the best about the defense that he has in the past 3 years. Nelson's off season training program is starting to show results.

Coach Nelson:

Has personnel and depth to adjust scheme for multiple offenses

Feels secondary and Linebacker groups could be among the best in the area

Describes team as strong, physical, "not a little team", talked about working on mental preparedness (Carter also spoke about this)

Much better tackling team than last year

Sounds like they'll be a couple of guys out tomorrow due to injury, including a standout freshman with a concussion

Special Teams:

Reed Hayes will be punting

Sounds like they'll have a separate kicker for Extra points, field goals up to 40 yards (this guy was kicking beyond 40 yards today), and field goals past 40 yards

Several options available for returning punts and kickoffs

Several outstanding freshman on both sides of the ball

Carter on Greeneville and the Season:

Of all the losses last year, the Greeneville lost "left the worst taste in their mouths"

Talked about the expectation of winning in Greeneville and the importance of that to a program, working to bring that to Science Hill

Feels a win against Greeneville will be a signature win and could catapult them to their ultimate goal of 10+ win season this year.

Keys to game: standard stuff-limit turnovers, control the run game, etc, etc

Feels most teams will try to hold onto ball and eat the clock given SH's weapons on offense

I'm pulling this from memory a few hours after the fact, but this is pretty much the jist of it. And these are the coaches words, not mine.

I thing most Science Hill people, including myself, are taking a wait and see approach. At a school like Science Hill, talent is never the problem, it has always been producing results on the field. Less that 24 hours, and we'll find out.

Edited by voltnh

I have watched Science Hill play football for years. I agree Voltnh . . . "talent", size, speed has never been a question. This is one of the better teams at S-Hill across the board (top to bottom) that I have seen in a long, long time. Can Coach Carter and company make the kids BELIEVE? Once they BELIEVE, they will then go to the next level. 10+ wins won't be a question. It starts tomorrow night. We will see . . . ? ! ?