MBA vs. Trinity

BigRedDog00

I wish they would have not backed out of the Blount County Bowl and played the best ITS powerhouses!bored.gif

How long are you gonna misrepresent this????? Simple truth is that Maryville/Alcoa insisted that MBA/Ensworth play in Blount County two years in a row and refused the MBA/Ensworth offer of home and home. Get over it, dude.

True!!!! It amazes me how the privates Think they are the be all end all of TN football and will NOT play Alcoa and Maryville.........sad

After seeing the thrashing y'all put on little ol' Webb (14-7!!!!!), it's probably a good thing that they don't play. At least D2 teams all play by the same set of rules (it would be interesting if Rutherford, Williamson, etc. had "open zoning" - somehow I think things might be a whole lot different in D1 if that were the case). Nobody's coming on your boards proclaiming greatness - in the view of most D2 people, there is plenty of room in this State for more than one or two great programs. Claiming superiority of your program over another is really not much different than claiming that Scarlett Johanson is prettier than Jessica Alba (or whoever is hot at the moment). Moreover, if y'all need to claim that your teenage boys are somehow superior to another group of teenage boys to stroke your egos, then so be it, but I think you have a much more compelling case when you stick to the DI boards.

I think Ensworth has been "special" already for several years and will remain so in the future. Thus, every year is a good year for them to tangle with an elite OOS team. I know Bowers would play anybody anywhere for the chance to stroke his own ego. I don't know wherein lies the scheduling difficulty, but I suspect and hope he will overcome it.

Congrats on the big win at Fayetteville - that was something special. I hope we (Ensworth) get to see y'all again in the playoffs this year. I most likely met you if you came to Ensworth for the Week 0 game - was very impressed with the polite behavior of the MUS students who came to cheer for their team.

As regards OOS scheduling, please remember that this is only Ensworth's 6th year of varsity football. Since the schedules are "mirror image", that is only three sets of games. In the first set, Ricky scheduled larger publics, along with CPA, which was considered to be a "similar" school. Remember that Ensworth is a small school with a large number of "artsy" students and no one really knew what to expect going into that first year - as a matter of fact, the students voted to play in D2-AA rather than D2-A, which is where we belonged based upon enrollment. With a Region schedule that included BA, MBA and the rest of that murderer's row, it would not have made any sense to schedule an OOS power in that first schedule. Moreover, no OOS power would have scheduled, at that point, an unknown Nashville school with an enrollment of far less than 200 boys. The second schedule set (Ensworth's 3rd and 4th years of varsity football) included both Oakland and Smyrna, along with the Region schedule. It also included a home and home with a North Carolina program (the specific school escapes me at the moment), which backed out after the start of the season "for financial reasons", leaving Ensworh with only 9 games during each of those years. The current schedule set includes MUS (which is not a required Region game and which we consider to be one of the premier programs in the State) and Webb, which was coming off two straight State championships in D2-A. There was also (in conjunction with MBA) a failed attempt for the current schedule set to play Alcoa and Maryville (one each year), both of which, for their own reasons, declined to play in Nashville. This year, Ensworth was able to replace Webb with Lexington Catholic, a program which has an excellent reputation in Kentucky and which will likely end up being one of the top 5-10 teams in Kentucky again this year.

The MUS, BA and MBA programs, which have had sterling reputations for quite a few years, have had a relatively easy time finding good OOS competition that is willing to play them. Prior to now, Ensworth was merely seen as a new school with potential and didn't enjoy that kind of a reputation. Ensworth has thus had to work its schedule strength up a little more slowly than I am sure Ricky would have wanted to. In my mind it;s still not to shabby to have 2 ESPNU games at this point in the program's history (the BA game at Ensworth later this season will also be televised on ESPNU). Keep watching - the schedule will continue to crank up over time. In the meantime, our kids all feel extremely fortunate to be learning life lessons from such a wonderful and caring coaching staff.

Edited by RedRobin
  • Upvote 1

This is what some BC boyz do perennially. Just ignore them. They are baiting you. It's how they get their "kicks." D2 fans know what the truth is about scheduling. As I posted years ago, a "home and home" to them means "we'll let ya'll come here (the center of the football universe) TWICE" ('cuz we can't afford to travel to your place). Their taunts of "chicken" look really silly when you look at whom the D2 teams are playing: Trinity, the 6A Ruitherford Couinty teams, Fayetteville, Souith Panola, Olive Branch. They rarely if ever try to prove their mettle against good OOS teams either. Their reality is "everybody's afraid to play us." Let them drown in their KoolAid.

.... Ensworth could be something special this year. I wish they would've played Trinity. I wish Ensworth would've scheduled an OOS powerhouse. This would've been the year to do it.

I think Ensworth has been "special" already for several years and will remain so in the future. Thus, every year is a good year for them to tangle with an elite OOS team. I know Bowers would play anybody anywhere for the chance to stroke his own ego. I don't know wherein lies the scheduling difficulty, but I suspect and hope he will overcome it.

Edited by owlbooster

RedRobin, I always enjoy reading your posts. You are attribute to the D2 site. I didn't makle it to Nashville, but I sat with the Ensworth fans at both games in Memphis last year and enjoyed it. Can't always say that about the visitors.. I usually sit on the visitors side when we aren't expecting a crowd because it's much easier getting in and out and I have some physical limitations. I am hoping EHS has success in scheduling some tough competition. I know it's not for lack of trying. Hope we meet again later.

If so, Hang on to your hats!

None of the top DII teams will skip a challenge and in fact they want them even if it means no perfect record or some continued "superficial" schedule that allows to you to say you beat everyone. As owlbooster said, the kool aid is indeed overflowing with some delusion mixed in. One only needs to watch some of the games between the top DII schools and then know why DI colleges are always knocking on their doors - speed, speed speed with lots of athleticism. You guys keep fooling yourselves in believing those spoiled DII schools are hiding from what you think are the best football teams. You'll keep your perfect record that way