BGA to move down to D-II A

TheBigRedDog

I recall playing BGA way back when; I dont recall domination. It has always been a good game. Maybe things have changed over the last 4 years.

I do think we lose sight that Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard were both champions. One was not lesser than the other regardless of size. Its no fun for most folks (unless you are sadistic) to crush someone that is never suppose to be able to compete. And Ensworth could probably beat certain NCAA D1 teams because they are just that good.

I recall playing BGA way back when; I dont recall domination. It has always been a good game. Maybe things have changed over the last 4 years.

I do think we lose sight that Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard were both champions. One was not lesser than the other regardless of size. Its no fun for most folks (unless you are sadistic) to crush someone that is never suppose to be able to compete. And Ensworth could probably beat certain NCAA D1 teams because they are just that good.

Ensworth is good. No doubt. But no need to get outrageous.

I'm disagreeing with him. The lowest Sun Belt, MAC and WAC teams would beat Ensworth by 200.

Exactly!! At best Ensworth may have 3-4 division 1 players playing right now. Division 1 teams have 70-85 division 1 players playing, even the smaller ones.

This came as no surprise although it makes me sad.

Battleground Academy has been a leader since its inception. The former campus was located on the ground where the largest frontal assault on American soil occured on 30 November 1864. The school had a rich tradition and flourished into the 1970's, even with a smoking area for students. The football program always produced UT and Vandy players. Many Nashvillians attended BGA and got on the blue school bus every morning on Franklin Road next to Overton high school for the ride to Franklin. For you younger readers, Brentwood then was the "end of the world"-there was a gas station, restaurant, hardware store and drive in motel. Only farmland from there to Franklin. Around 1980, BGA went coed to survive. Fast forward 32 years and even with a new campus, fabulous facilities, the best baseball field and best baseball program, the school cannot keep its enrollment up. I have many friends who were graduates and more who have their kids there or just graduated...everyone seems to be at a loss for a reason other than the county has decided and achieved the goal of having the best public school system in the state.

I do not know enough to know whether this is a good or bad move. I do know that I will miss seeing BGA in D2 AA.

...everyone seems to be at a loss for a reason other than the county has decided and achieved the goal of having the best public school system in the state.

Not sure why the downfall but I do know a few of BGA alumni that send their kids to other private schools. They dont talk negative toward BGA but talk more positive about the school their kids are enrolled. By the way BA is in the county too, Ensworth within spitting distance of the county line they don't seem to suffer from a good Williamson County school system.

This came as no surprise although it makes me sad.

Battleground Academy has been a leader since its inception. The former campus was located on the ground where the largest frontal assault on American soil occured on 30 November 1864. The school had a rich tradition and flourished into the 1970's, even with a smoking area for students. The football program always produced UT and Vandy players. Many Nashvillians attended BGA and got on the blue school bus every morning on Franklin Road next to Overton high school for the ride to Franklin. For you younger readers, Brentwood then was the "end of the world"-there was a gas station, restaurant, hardware store and drive in motel. Only farmland from there to Franklin. Around 1980, BGA went coed to survive. Fast forward 32 years and even with a new campus, fabulous facilities, the best baseball field and best baseball program, the school cannot keep its enrollment up. I have many friends who were graduates and more who have their kids there or just graduated...everyone seems to be at a loss for a reason other than the county has decided and achieved the goal of having the best public school system in the state.

I do not know enough to know whether this is a good or bad move. I do know that I will miss seeing BGA in D2 AA.

excellent post...BGA is a former power. The 1960 and 1966 teams were consensus state champions, the early 70's saw some excellent teams. BGA unraveled in the late 70's with the emergence of BA and FRA. What was predominantly a school of Nashville boys looking for an alternative to MBA begin to lose, and eventually did lose, the Nashville pipeline. So, location was definitly a factor as other schools closer to Davidson Co emerged. Also, BGA didn't help it's cause with a real leadership void. Dr. Griffeth followed John Bragg, and he elevated the school with very ambitious growth plans, including the new campus. However, since then, BGA seems to go through headmasters like I do socks. Also, from the outside looking in, it appears that BGA can't make it's mind up. How many times have they changed classes for athletic purposes? It seems they drop down when they struggle, then move up when they win, then back down again. The smaller student body is surely a real issue. Especially for a coed school. I am going to miss them in DII as well. They were an automatic W.