BGA to move down to D-II A

TheBigRedDog

Why is everyone so judgmental in this situation? BGA is moving for the same reason that Webb and ECS moved. Hopefully this will raise the level of play from all the schools so we can enjoy a competitive league rather than one or two schools domination. The large difference in enrollment causes competative challenges at both levels in DII. I also think it is a little early to stack up the harware for any team. Paper teams always look good, but you still have to play the games first.
Edited by SoonerSteve

What happened to BGA is similar to alot of the smaller private schools in the Nashville area. Where do we go from here? BGA rode the wave on the original opening of D2 private schools. They wanted to grow and develop and not remain a small 1A private school. So while the DCA, Ezell Harding, and Goodpastures enjoyed success in small public football when d2 began BGA played ball in the irrelevant league. In fact BGA quit playing Lipscomb and other non d2 private schools because they could not beat them. So they wanted to no longer be irrelevant so they wanted to step it up and play with the big boys and its not feasible. Bottom line their tutition is too high it alienates people in the Williamson county area from wanting to attend due to cost. I believe its $16,000 a year I may be wrong but its alot. Yes the facilities are nice in fact unreal but did they really need all that. Did things have to be that nice? Then you are faced with the dillema how do we pay for it? Dont get me wrong BGA is a great school with great people. Now back to what I mentioned earlier. Now all smaller privates are searching for that answer. CPA, Goodpasture, and Lipscomb continue to play in the public leage and compete pretty well even with the multiplier. I am sure that BGA would love for those schools and a few other to join them in D2 and form another division or conference. However here is what BGA may be missing? The travel is really expensive and not very many people are going to make the trip to the road games and the other fans are not going to come to BGA road games. Keep in mind they will have to drive the same distance to play a volleyball game (no offense) two hours is a long trip. Not to mention the time athletes will have to miss in school to make the trip to play a game. I guess BGA wanted to grow but they have not done so in total enrollment never mind athletics. So gate money will go down even more and travel costs will go up. People will still view BGA below the bigger boys which is fine but probably gripes some of the BGA faithful or what their original intent was in athletics. Should BGA have stayed the public ball route? Well then they would of had to quit giving aid. Maybe they have found the right answer but hey you get what you pay for? . Any chance BGA could play up in baseball and down in well football?

So while the DCA, Ezell Harding, and Goodpastures enjoyed success in small public football when d2 began BGA played ball in the irrelevant league. In fact BGA quit playing Lipscomb and other non d2 private schools because they could not beat them. S

I am puzzled by your definition of "success" - the BGA football program helped itself tremendously by playing with the big privates. They went from losing to schools like Lipscomb, Goodpasture and CPA to beating the likes of MBA, Baylor, Father Ryan, McCallie, Christian Brothers, Smyrna, Franklin, Ravenwood, Pearl-Cohn (BGA has now beaten them 4 years in a row), etc. over the past couple of years. Looks to me like they are now light-years ahead of any of the DI privates (with the arguable exception of CPA, which is also coached by a former Ensworth assistant). I do know that BGA has been ready, willing and able to play against opponents that those D1 privates wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. BGA now has one of the best young coaches in the state, awesome facilities and things are looking up. Doesn't sound like they have made any mistakes whatsoever. They will be missed, but I wish them the best in their new division.

Edited by RedRobin
  • Upvote 1

What happened to BGA is similar to alot of the smaller private schools in the Nashville area. Where do we go from here? BGA rode the wave on the original opening of D2 private schools. They wanted to grow and develop and not remain a small 1A private school. So while the DCA, Ezell Harding, and Goodpastures enjoyed success in small public football when d2 began BGA played ball in the irrelevant league. In fact BGA quit playing Lipscomb and other non d2 private schools because they could not beat them. So they wanted to no longer be irrelevant so they wanted to step it up and play with the big boys and its not feasible. Bottom line their tutition is too high it alienates people in the Williamson county area from wanting to attend due to cost. I believe its $16,000 a year I may be wrong but its alot. Yes the facilities are nice in fact unreal but did they really need all that. Did things have to be that nice? Then you are faced with the dillema how do we pay for it? Dont get me wrong BGA is a great school with great people. Now back to what I mentioned earlier. Now all smaller privates are searching for that answer. CPA, Goodpasture, and Lipscomb continue to play in the public leage and compete pretty well even with the multiplier. I am sure that BGA would love for those schools and a few other to join them in D2 and form another division or conference. However here is what BGA may be missing? The travel is really expensive and not very many people are going to make the trip to the road games and the other fans are not going to come to BGA road games. Keep in mind they will have to drive the same distance to play a volleyball game (no offense) two hours is a long trip. Not to mention the time athletes will have to miss in school to make the trip to play a game. I guess BGA wanted to grow but they have not done so in total enrollment never mind athletics. So gate money will go down even more and travel costs will go up. People will still view BGA below the bigger boys which is fine but probably gripes some of the BGA faithful or what their original intent was in athletics. Should BGA have stayed the public ball route? Well then they would of had to quit giving aid. Maybe they have found the right answer but hey you get what you pay for? . Any chance BGA could play up in baseball and down in well football?

That is because the T$$AA will not acknowledge that "work studies" is FINANCIAL HELP! CPA recruits and PAYS the money better than all of them. Oh sorry, I am not suppose to say that since they are standing behind their church and good will to people. We will all pray together (which is a good thing) but not when we say come pray with us if you can play basketball.

Not sure why the downfall but I do know a few of BGA alumni that send their kids to other private schools. They dont talk negative toward BGA but talk more positive about the school their kids are enrolled. By the way BA is in the county too, Ensworth within spitting distance of the county line they don't seem to suffer from a good Williamson County school system.

BA goes into UNA to get the players and Ensworth robs everyone but mainly us in Rutherford County. I would say the school system there does hurt BGA. I doubt Ensworth cares about many kids from Williamson County unless they are bringing their checkbook

BA goes into UNA to get the players and Ensworth robs everyone but mainly us in Rutherford County. I would say the school system there does hurt BGA. I doubt Ensworth cares about many kids from Williamson County unless they are bringing their checkbook

Hey coach - what is your best guess on how many Rutherford County kids attend Ensworth and how many of them are on the football team? How much money is coming from that Ensworth checkbook to these kids? Just curious.

BGA's issues go back nealry 40 yrs. In the '75-'76 school year, they dropped from AAA to AA in the old three classification system. Shortly thereafter they went coed, then went to K-12. It's a fine school with a long and impressive tradition, but somehow in the rise of all the new private schools, BGA just never really seemed to establish its own niche.