A-AA Euro poll is updated

MVM

No. We chose not to give scholarships or financial aid. THAT puts us in division 1.

I am torn on this subject because on the one hand we want to see quality teams on the field during the state tournament. These are supposed to be the best teams in Tennessee. I don't see quality teams on the field in the smaller school brackets. At least half of the teams are not strong at all. And there have been some pretty bad teams making the AAA bracket too.

On the other hand, though, I do not feel that the CAKs, Notre Dames, CPAs, CCS', etc of the A/AA soccer world should not be competing against their current public school competition, and I also know firsthand of players at such private schools that were on financial aid and participating in varsity sports (I know of two specific cases where players at these private schools were on financial aid, opted to leave the private school for a public school, and were then offered more financial aid in an attempt to entice them to stay...they left anyway).

I will be the first one to say that if the CAKs of the world were not in the A/AA bracket there might be two decent teams making the tournament in that bracket. And decent would be a stretch. But I also doubt that those A/AA privates of the world would rally behind such an idea because they would often find themselves on the outside looking in of AAA or Division 2.

One tournament. One champion. It will never happen but I can hope.

This debate will continue forever. The system is messed up. The smaller privates will constantly defend their position. Public schools will whine about it, but state championships will mean less and less. TSSAA has a come one, come all attitude to state tournament.

Jury is still out in my mind (not sure whose side I am on or that it matters), but privates pretending that we do nothing wrong is bull and publics need to stop the whining and play the game.

Edited by bekma

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well put, Bekma.

I have long been a proponent of a Merit Based system (like the EPL uses). But it goes by individual sports only, and not the whole school. This way, if a school has a good soccer team, but not a good tennis team, the soccer team would move up, and the tennis team would stay (or move down). If the team struggles in the upper division, they move down.

I know it would be difficult, but it could work.

I also wouldn't mind one state champion. I would have loved to have played a second game after the state finals against the AAA (or Division 2) state champion just to see how it would go!

...and now back to the topic....With previously unranked (?) East Hamilton tying A-AA # 2 CPA and A-AA #5 White House losing to unranked Clarksville...will we see a shake up in the poll this week???

Notre Dame last week tied the AAA #8 Soddy Dasiy, and also beat the AAA #11 Oakland team

My new glasses say move us on up baby!!!

D

Girls

1 Christian Academy Knoxville (8-0-1)

2 Christ Presbyterian Academy (7-1-1)

3 Chattanooga Christian School (6-2-1)

4 Notre Dame High School (5-1-2)

5 White House High School (5-3-0)

6 Gatlinburg-Pittman High School (8-0-0)

7 Fred J. Page High School (4-4-1)

8 East Hamilton High School (7-1-1)

9 Greeneville High School (1-3-2)

10 Hume-Fogg Academic (4-2-1)

11 Signal Mountain High School (1-1-1)

Last updated on: Sep 10th, 2012 By: Bill McCloskey

East Hamilton was ranked. CPA's game against the visitors was entertaining. Don't think Notre Dame will move until they play CCS. East Hamilton may move up though.

Edited by bekma

White House tied PJPII. PJPII beat Clarksville 2-1. Clarksville defeated Centennial 2-0 on Tuesday. Centennial recently shut out PJPII 2-0 and Oakland 1-0. What can you say ? On any given day one good team can have a positive result against another. Ranked or not, all of these teams are very good teams.

White House is to be commended. Like Notre Dame, they are a team playing the competition to prepare themselves for a state run. White House was the only A-AA team playing in the platinum division and in the toughest bracket (Franklin's most lopsided victory was 4-0 over Bearden in the final). Rankings are usually fickle and sometimes political. Ranked or not, experience tells me that most of these teams will still be in the November conversations because all of the fore-mentioned teams are seeking to improve through quality competition.

White House tied PJPII. PJPII beat Clarksville 2-1. Clarksville defeated Centennial 2-0 on Tuesday. Centennial recently shut out PJPII 2-0 and Oakland 1-0. What can you say ? On any given day one good team can have a positive result against another. Ranked or not, all of these teams are very good teams.

White House is to be commended. Like Notre Dame, they are a team playing the competition to prepare themselves for a state run. White House was the only A-AA team playing in the platinum division and in the toughest bracket (Franklin's most lopsided victory was 4-0 over Bearden in the final). Rankings are usually fickle and sometimes political. Ranked or not, experience tells me that most of these teams will still be in the November conversations because all of the fore-mentioned teams are seeking to improve through quality competition.

The reality is, I don't put much merit into these ranking....too many variables....

Eurosport's AAA rankings are actually voted on by coaches across the state. Not sure about the other divisions, but for the AAA, these rankings are more than just one person arbitrarily choosing who's ranked where.

It would be interesting to see who actually votes. Transparency would add a little validity, sprinkled with integrity. For now, i will stick with MVM. I know what his biases are.

I used to be in charge of the A/AA poll. I don't know who does it now.

Ohhh, the good ole days. Not sure the actual list of coaches, but the criteria seemed to be success of program, strength of schedule, etc..... I know the AAA vote is confidential, maybe you can ask who is on the list. I don't care to say I am. I remember back in the day, the trouble G had actually getting coaches to vote. Most don't want to even take the time. I know I spend a lot of time looking up scores and trying to find articles before voting. Not a perfect system, but it does lead to discussion.

For the record, if I voted in AA/A I would have ND #1 each week to try and get back in cannon's good graces. =) and aggravate G. =P