A-AA Euro poll is updated

MVM

Big G, not stirring any argument.....more irritated with our commitment than anything. We did not play with much intensity and did not work at a high level. Meant not disrespect to the school or team....you have a great group of kids. Your dominance in this devision would suggest inquiring into moving to a higher division. (I have heard the TSSAA is open to such requests, but I don't know) Regardless, you have an excellent team and I wish them well.

Kaz

Can I vote to kick them out, I mean, move them to another division ??? (Gotta love these new green and gold contact lenses I have now)...

D

Edited by CHAMPDDS

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big G, not stirring any argument.....more irritated with our commitment than anything. We did not play with much intensity and did not work at a high level. Meant not disrespect to the school or team....you have a great group of kids. Your dominance in this devision would suggest inquiring into moving to a higher division. (I have heard the TSSAA is open to such requests, but I don't know) Regardless, you have an excellent team and I wish them well.

Kaz

Gotcha.

You also have to remember that CAK has been growing its program for over 20 years. With quality middle school teams, and year round club players, the benefits are reaped in the high school season.

Seeing what is coming "down the pike" however, CAK might not be as strong in about 3-4 years (barring transfers and such).

Champs, you wish... icon_mrgreen.gif

Again, CAK soccer does not choose where it competes. It plays in the division it is put in. The reason that CAK is so good is because of the dedication to year round high level soccer that the majority of the CAK girls players play. You make it sound as if we decided to "play down" so that we could dominate opponents. Not our decision.

Also, Oneida had a GREAT team in the early 2000's (they actually were up 2-0 on us in one game). We came back to win, but they had two top notch forwards that year (I THINK it was 2004).

They choose to play in Division I, the "public" division.

I didn't know that. Then why do you have the multiplier? The amount of money invested into your programs can not be attained under normal circumstances. Who else can really afford to send their teams for training at the National Academy? On a yearly basis? You have numerous "hooks" when the fish are in the water. And Knoxville has plenty of quality fish. Again I'm really not knocking you or the kids, but there are advantages to your location and allure. I'd question the validity of finacial aid as well since my cousins daughter attends your school.

Kaz

There is no consistent difference, competition-wise, between the Division I private schools and the smaller class, Division II private schools. There is quite a difference in the average Division I public schools and the Division I private schools. That's across all sports, not just soccer. Boys basketball is generally the big exception but CPA has shown that can be overcome too, with the right "efforts".

I didn't know that. Then why do you have the multiplier? The amount of money invested into your programs can not be attained under normal circumstances. Who else can really afford to send their teams for training at the National Academy? On a yearly basis? You have numerous "hooks" when the fish are in the water. And Knoxville has plenty of quality fish. Again I'm really not knocking you or the kids, but there are advantages to your location and allure. I'd question the validity of finacial aid as well since my cousins daughter attends your school.

Kaz

I used to agree with you on your third sentence, and then I learned about what the soccer budget of some of the local AAA schools were around Knoxville compared to CAK, and I saw that there is a lot more money there than most think. You don't have to believe that, but I happen to know the exact numbers.

Now, this is not saying that CAK is suffering by any means. We are truly blessed. But many schools are blessed. Bearden has a great facility, as does Farragut.

And who is sending teams to train at the National Academy?

And we CAN give financial aid. But the students who receive the financial aid cannot participate in varsity athletics.

The reason we have a multiplier is because the private schools were winning to much. The TSSAA had to try and equal the playing field.

But again, it comes down to the commitment of the players to year round athletics. I don't care if you are public or private. The reason Farragut was nationally ranked a few years back is because all of their starters played top level year round club soccer. Look at any successful athletic program across the state. Gone are the years that you could play a sport for 3 months and expect to succeed.

The point is, I will never convince you otherwise. I could state facts, budget lines, coaching salaries, etc. and those who don't like private schools will always find a beef with them being successful. But look at the "running up the score" thread. Most of the teams n there are public schools (I think Karns holds the record). If that were a private school, people would be griping and pointing fingers at the "big bullies". But since it is a public school, the thread is quiet. I find that interesting.

And very valid arguments with great merit. However, you compared your financial counculations to AAA schools where the size of the schools will greatly influence the amount of money being funneled towards them. (simple math-bigger school, larger booster recruitment, more money) I imagine it would be surprising how much money is generated in the smaller schools. I think in our best year we fundraised about $2600 on two moneymakers. My guess is you have numerous contributers that can match that total if needed. Which, as you said, is a tremendous blessing. I understand your team has made the trip to Brandenburg, Florida to train before a season or two. (I couldn't confirm the validity of this unless it just slipped out once) I don't think it is feasible for some. So your administration would deny a child the right to play at your school because they received aid? Wouldn't that break a constitutional right? My guess is the running up the score is due to the inability of the "victim" having any ability to compete and I have been on the tail end of a 14-0 score before. Heck, we scored two of the goals FOR them.huh.png Look, I really have absolutely no beef with you or CAK. Great school, great kids....it is what it is. Have you ever NOT won your district? At least playing in another division would allow your kids of having competition that was worthy of their outstanding play. And you are consistently fielding outstanding teams. The rest of us get what we get.

Kaz

And very valid arguments with great merit. However, you compared your financial counculations to AAA schools where the size of the schools will greatly influence the amount of money being funneled towards them. (simple math-bigger school, larger booster recruitment, more money) I imagine it would be surprising how much money is generated in the smaller schools. I think in our best year we fundraised about $2600 on two moneymakers. My guess is you have numerous contributers that can match that total if needed. Which, as you said, is a tremendous blessing. I understand your team has made the trip to Brandenburg, Florida to train before a season or two. (I couldn't confirm the validity of this unless it just slipped out once) I don't think it is feasible for some. So your administration would deny a child the right to play at your school because they received aid? Wouldn't that break a constitutional right? My guess is the running up the score is due to the inability of the "victim" having any ability to compete and I have been on the tail end of a 14-0 score before. Heck, we scored two of the goals FOR them.huh.png Look, I really have absolutely no beef with you or CAK. Great school, great kids....it is what it is. Have you ever NOT won your district? At least playing in another division would allow your kids of having competition that was worthy of their outstanding play. And you are consistently fielding outstanding teams. The rest of us get what we get.

Kaz

I got ya, Kaz.

And for a while, we didn't win district, but this won't bode well to my argument, because we lost to Catholic (another private school). Ha ha.

We didn't train at Bradenton, though we did train in Florida. BUT, Lenoir City, at that time an A/AA public school, trained down there at the same time we were there. We did fund raisers and worked hard to get there, as did LC. It was just a commitment to training.

We also did mission outreach on spring break, working with refugee centers, youth clinics, and soccer camps to reach inner city kids. For me it was so much more than playing soccer. But what most people see (or hear) is that we played at the National Team training center. Trust me, we didn't. Some of the hotels we stayed in were ROUGH.

And yes, we have "denied kids the right to play" because they received financial aid. It is the TSSAA rule. I could name 3, but I respect those kids and wouldn't post their names on the boards.

And teams will ebb and flow. Right now, CAK is having a very successful soccer run. It won't last forever. BUT, success breeds success. Just like Alcoa, Maryville, and Oak Ridge (all publics) families are able to send their kids to these schools outside of their regular "zones". But that isn't a public private thing, and a separate argument all together.

And I will also be the first to admit that there is an imbalance in A/AA soccer (shoot, the math alone is easy). But the solutions isn't to get rid of the private schools, but to increase the other programs by having parents and administration commit to excellence (look what Alcoa and Tom Gorman did and it got them to the state finals). I know it is a pipe dream, and probably won't happen, but I can still dream big.