Whitehaven Tigers vs Whitestation Spartans

dannyq

I cannot believe that I am missing this game another year: now three consecutive years. I like Whitehaven in this game; however, it should be close. And if Whitehaven's defensive plays like it did last week, they will likely lose. I do not see that happening. Ridgeway's O is probably a little better than White Station's.

Well ... I'm about to go see up close and personal in a few hours. I'm thinking the coaches have gotten all over the 'D' this week in practice. They have to tighten up.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitehaven started the game slow. Patrick Smith was picked off by Donald Grey and he nearly returned it for a TD but was pushed out at about the 17 yard line. Whitestation went on to score. to make it 7-0. Later in the first Whitestion would score again to make it 14-0. With about 3 min left in the half the score 14-0. Mark Dodson broke off an electrifying 80 yard run to cut the lead to 14-7 and that was the score at the half. We continued in the second half to shoot ourselves in the foot with penalties and bad field position, but the defense finally made some adjustments to slow down Cedric Wilson Jr.'s running up the middle. Late in the fourth quarter with about 7 and a half left, Mark Dodson broke lose again for about 45 yrd run TD tying the score at 14-14. The defense got a stop and the offense had the ball with an opportunity to win but we were bitten by the penalty bug again. Overtime was a trading of scores. Whitestation muffed the snap after a Rodney Saulsberry time out to ice the kicker and the rest is history. Whitehaven wins 31-30. Mark Dodson 27 carries for 291 yards and three touchdowns.

Whitehaven started the game slow. Patrick Smith was picked off by Donald Grey and he nearly returned it for a TD but was pushed out at about the 17 yard line. Whitestation went on to score. to make it 7-0. Later in the first Whitestion would score again to make it 14-0. With about 3 min left in the half the score 14-0. Mark Dodson broke off an electrifying 80 yard run to cut the lead to 14-7 and that was the score at the half. We continued in the second half to shoot ourselves in the foot with penalties and bad field position, but the defense finally made some adjustments to slow down Cedric Wilson Jr.'s running up the middle. Late in the fourth quarter with about 7 and a half left, Mark Dodson broke lose again for about 45 yrd run TD tying the score at 14-14. The defense got a stop and the offense had the ball with an opportunity to win but we were bitten by the penalty bug again. Overtime was a trading of scores. Whitestation muffed the snap after a Rodney Saulsberry time out to ice the kicker and the rest is history. Whitehaven wins 31-30. Mark Dodson 27 carries for 291 yards and three touchdowns.

Here's the Commercial Appeal's version.

Whitehaven edges White Station in triple overtime

Thanks dannyq for the MD stats because the WHHS/WSHS stats wern't in the CA. I was wondering how many yards he had. I knew he must have broke 200.

Wow!!! Whitehaven had to go to triple overtime to beat at team that CB beat 42-24? Did the Tigers have a bad game, or are they a little overrated?

I listened to this game on the radio, while attending the MUS game. Given that perspective, here's my take on this issue:

----------------------------------------

First, I attended that CBHS - WS game. While I felt that CBHS was the better team, that game was not as one-sided as the final score might suggest: CBHS had just scored (to pull away from a narrow 28-24 lead) and "iced" the game @ 35 - 24, late 4th qtr. White Station immediately went into desperation mode and promptly threw a "pick 6." This pushed the final score to 42-24, which looks very much like a "blowout."

As for Whitehaven....while I suspect that they are not as good as they were last year, I really do not think that they are overrated. The fiinal score is misleading, IMHO. Very simply, Whitehaven nearly self-destructed against White Station!

Whitehaven's two 1st-half TURNOVERS nearly caused them to lose to White Station, in regulation! These turnovers gave White Station two short fields (appx 30 yards and appx 20 yards, if my memory is working), leading directly to two quick touchdowns by White Station and a 14-0 lead.

While Whitehaven has a solid defense, a team with the offensive weapons like White Station....let's just keep it real, here -- they're simply gonna' be very difficult to keep out of the endzone when operating with a short field! Nontheless, Whitehaven cut the defecit to 14-7 by halftime, thanks to a 70+ yard run by RB Mark Dodson.

Whitehaven did not turn the ball over again. White Station never scored again (or even threatned to score, from what I heard via radio).

Dodson burst loose for a 40+ yard TD run in the 3rd qtr, for Whitehaven.

Regulation ended in a 14-14 tie.

---------------------------------------------------------

In overtime, each team starts it's offense on a short field --- the 25-yard line, I think. This is where all the other scoring occurred.

As you can see, all of White Station's points came on a very short-field and in overtime!

So, despite giving up 30 points en route to a narrow defeat of White Station, Whitehaven's victory over WS was every bit as impressive as CBHS' 18-point "blowout" victory over WS, in my opinion, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Whitehaven created a huge, huge hole for itself versus a very formidable opponent. Yet, the Tigers proved their mettle by overcoming adversity and clawing its way back to a 31 - 30 victory. To me, that is one sign of a Championship-caliber team not an overrated squad.

Edited by TraderB

There's always ONE hater dry.png

Whitehaven is of no significance to me one way or the other, I live on the opposite side of the state. Had never even heard of Whitehaven before last years State Championship game. But how do you arrive at the conclusion that someone is a hater because they simply ask a question? Even good teams have off games, I simply was asking if this was the case for Whitehaven, or if they might have come in a little overrated. No harm meant.

Whitehaven is of no significance to me one way or the other, I live on the opposite side of the state. Had never even heard of Whitehaven before last years State Championship game. But how do you arrive at the conclusion that someone is a hater because they simply ask a question? Even good teams have off games, I simply was asking if this was the case for Whitehaven, or if they might have come in a little overrated. No harm meant.

Ok then, If you claim to have never heard of Whitehaven until last season's state title game and we are of no significance to you one way or the other then don't say we might be overrated. Speak on the East Tenn teams that you know about and don't ask that asinine question about Da Haven, Hater. You don't see me speaking about the Dobyns-Bennetts or the Oak Ridges or the Farragauts of the TN HS Football world for the very same reason you shouldn't be speaking on the Whitehavens of the TN HS football world. White Station is the Main Big public school near our level in Memphis. They Have great coaching (they won the State in '09) so beating them is always a task. Hope that helps.

Overrated! Man Please! With the EXCEPTION of Maryville, no one else should be ranked ahead of Whitehaven in 6A really.

I know what you were trying to do with that comment JAKE... You will

RESPECT DA HAVEN

I'll speak on this board, where I want and when I want, and I don't have to respect "whatever it is you call them". I won't go into it any further with you, I explained my question and that is that. KWC, no wonder you have a hard time getting over a 1 or 2 page thread on Whitehaven. Same ole, same ole from Memphis, it will never change.

Ok then, If you claim to have never heard of Whitehaven until last season's state title game and we are of no significance to you one way or the other then don't say we might be overrated. Speak on the East Tenn teams that you know about and don't ask that asinine question about Da Haven, Hater. You don't see me speaking about the Dobyns-Bennetts or the Oak Ridges or the Farragauts of the TN HS Football world for the very same reason you shouldn't be speaking on the Whitehavens of the TN HS football world. White Station is the Main Big public school near our level in Memphis. They Have great coaching (they won the State in '09) so beating them is always a task. Hope that helps.

Overrated! Man Please! With the EXCEPTION of Maryville, no one else should be ranked ahead of Whitehaven in 6A really.

I know what you were trying to do with that comment JAKE... You will

RESPECT DA HAVEN

Really BHS you need to take a chill pill and relax. It is TOTALLY reasonable for somebody on the other side of the state who only views scores and polls to ask the question he asked. He didn't "talk" about anybody. He asked a question and somebody answered it. Obviously the score surprised him or else he wouldn't have asked the question. That means he expected Whitehaven to win more handily. In other words, he has a high opinion and higher expectations of a Tiger win. JEEZ!