Sequoyah League Youth Football Weight/Age limitations

logcabinman

Seeing the Blount County youth football thread. I asked the question about weight and age restrictions? I know schools around here do not have Middle School teams. I think that we are doing our kids an injustice when it comes to junior football. I have mentioned this before and it is something to ponder. Lets look at weight first. Most kids playing highschool football around here, when they get to high school, have to make a big adjustment. I am not talking about a kid that you know is going to be a lineman for the rest of his carrer carrying the load, which imo is fine- but a coach can get a kid hurt trying that. There is not a weight limit in high school, so why in 7th and 8th grade. There are many teams that have kids that cannot work at the RB or QB position that will eventually play there in high school. I feel we are limiting their opportunities by doing this.

Secondly is age. The TSSAA rules state that a student athlete cannot play if he/she turns 19 before a certain age, not sure on date but I will find it. I know some kids that are not playing football this year because they are 14 years old. I know the Sequoyah league allows one 14 year old on the field at any given time. I wouldn't want to play if this was the case because I would hate to think I practiced all week and my playing time was very limited. Plus the fact these students miss out on a year of football with their buddies.

I would like to see the Sequoyah conference which includes Polk, Central, Englewood, Rogers Creek, Riceville, Athens, Loudon, Vonore, Madisonville, and more I am probably leaving out. When is the last time that any of these teams from this conference, with the exception of Loudon and Polk, has made it out of a 2nd round game of a high school playoff in the past few years?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense, but I have been to watch that league play, and it is a joke. JMHO. Way to much daddy ball. Maybe it is much different than the few games I have seen, but what I have seen is not good. I have not seen those older kids play, I have watched some of the ages 9-12 play. Son was on a Blount County team last year with teams that came from that league and their dads told me that the difference was night and day. Have heard the same thing this year from a couple of 10 year olds dads that drive over to Blount County to play.

No offense, but I have been to watch that league play, and it is a joke. JMHO. Way to much daddy ball. Maybe it is much different than the few games I have seen, but what I have seen is not good. I have not seen those older kids play, I have watched some of the ages 9-12 play. Son was on a Blount County team last year with teams that came from that league and their dads told me that the difference was night and day. Have heard the same thing this year from a couple of 10 year olds dads that drive over to Blount County to play.

No offense taken. I don't know who is driving the league, I just feel if we are going to start competing with the Knoxville based teams, something needs to change. There are at least 5 kids I know that are not playing in this league because of the age stipulation. These kids are 14 and have no where to go. There are 2 kids in the area that will play RB and probably QB of Friday nights. These kids have to fight to stay below weight limit, and I can assure you it is not because they are "big boned".

I agree on the age part. If a kid will be able to play high school he should be able to play little league. The only part of the weight limit rule I don't like is the defense and special teams rules. Offensively I think its ok. Too many parents think they're kid is a worldbeating running back when he's really an above average guard.

I agree with you. I am still trying to figure out why Lenoir City plays in this league. I have a child there, and this week we have to drive all the way to Polk Co. almost 2 hours away. I don't see why we aren't in the Knoxville area league. I know the competition is better, but it prepares them for high school when they play Knoxville teams anyways.

Edited by dcnk

I think the Sequoyah Conference Youth Football League actually started with about 5 teams from Monroe/McMinn counties simply because there was no where for kids to play. The basis for the league (a long period ago) was simply teach the basics and safety. Since then the league has grown now to 16 cities and I have personally seen the reigns loosen over the years. I beleive the Junior age group will be no limits in the years to come. The main issue for the 14 year olds, is that they are in the classification as a 12 year old. For this reason, and the begining of the super cricket division, i think there will be five divisions soon, with no limitations on the Junior division. JMO.

While I don't like all the rules in the Sequoyah Conference, and there is alittle to much Daddy ball, you will run into that somewhat in most leagues. The league is far from a joke! I also have watched several youth programs from all around the area play, including Maryville, Alcoa, and many of the Knox. County teams, and there are some verygood teams in this league that can compete with some of the best in the area. I have also watched some of these teams play in the Rocky top tourny in the past and they fared well against some verygood teams including ones from out of the State. Things have loosened abit and I don't like some of the new teams that have joined, cause it has brought the quality of play down, but I do understand that teams like Rogers Creek and acouple others, deserve to play to, but.......

-There are actually 14 teams in the league now. Sweetwater, Loudon, Riceville, Lenior City, Athens, Polk Co., Madisonville, Central(etowah), Greenback, Tellico, Meigs Co., Vonore, Englewood, and Rogers Creek.

I think the Sequoyah Conference Youth Football League actually started with about 5 teams from Monroe/McMinn counties simply because there was no where for kids to play. The basis for the league (a long period ago) was simply teach the basics and safety. Since then the league has grown now to 16 cities and I have personally seen the reigns loosen over the years. I beleive the Junior age group will be no limits in the years to come. The main issue for the 14 year olds, is that they are in the classification as a 12 year old. For this reason, and the begining of the super cricket division, i think there will be five divisions soon, with no limitations on the Junior division. JMO.

That would be great news.