South Pittsburg against Signal Mount(Grider against this Price man)

Roy Dillard

Let me axe you a querstion, rmwr. I noticed at college and professional football games that all the players sit down together on the sidelines between series and figger out what they can do different and better. Why does not our defensive coordinator sit down with them boys that are supposed to be tacklers when they'z on the sidelines and try to make some adjustments? We won't make it out of the first round of playoffs if we don't learn how to play defense. You think I'm kidding, but I ain't kidding.

2979314278_9bfdc190be.jpg

Troll, the defence should come off the field as a unit and talk about what just happen and fix it. Our D line and backers don't play both ways so when a big play happens they should come to the sidelines an fix the problem. Gap control and containment is a must in HS football, if you win here you should win the game. Hats off to them right before the half they stopped SP in 2 or 3 series, they should watch film see what was different during this part of the game. SP did not slack off during this part of the game (they never slack off, they sell out on every play) something was working right before the half? They need to figure out what that was.

The offence played well, 26 is a man in the last two games, gotta love a big back that protects the rock and never stops his feet!

The other two rock toters did a great job as well. CJ had a great catch and Madison had serveral great catches. Reese played tough and got out of trouble and couple of times and delivered a strike on more that one occasion. Good job to the O line too.

Harrison Moon had a huge 4th down catch to keep a drive going. This kid keeps surprising me. Gotta love a big TE that can catch and block.

All in all, it was a win but not a pretty win. The whole team finally showed heart and that will go a long way! DE must contain first then go to the ball, D line must "make a pile" on the line of scrimmage and backers have to fill the gaps around that pile. I could go on forever but I have all the confidence that we will continue to get better. thumb[1].gif

Edited by realmenwearred

in my opinion sp has a great o signal does not. sp d will be ok against there lowly 1a competition and signal will be in big trouble with their d against powerhouse 4a. signal running game did not beat sp it was the passing game by there qb he is a good player and there receivers looked like they had stickem on there hands

UncleDave for one is proud of the Pirates for playing with a very talented, HUGE team. Anybody that thinks Signal is not any good is crazy. Offensively they have three solid backs including a huge fullback. The quarterback is definitely as good as advertised and made some throws tonight that you don't normally see in high school. The Pirates went toe to toe with a team that had much more size than them. Yes, they lost the game but I like our chances in the playoffs if we stay healthy. Defensively we made progress but kept giving up the big play. I will say this, the Pirates made Signal earn their points every series. Defense is still a work in progress but is slowly getting better each week. I know people will think I am crazy for saying that with the yards the Pirates gave up last night, but you also have to consider that almost the whole defense plays on offense and they never quit.

Overall it was an exciting game to watch. We made mistakes and they did to and they pretty much evened out at the end....however the refs were horrible missing several calls...especially two horse collar tackles on Lankford. I like Vic's quote in the paper that he went for two to keep people from blaming our kicker for the loss if he missed that last PAT. It was the right call just maybe not the right play. If both teams can shore up defensively they can make deep runs into the playoffs. Good luck to Signal the rest of the year.

Both teams will improve from tis game. Signal's offense is getting better. Having a big FB in the last few games has really helped open up the offense. Thy did not have this the first three games.The d needs work. SP has a great coah and will be fine. It's a great game every year and i hope it continues for many years

in my opinion sp has a great o signal does not. sp d will be ok against there lowly 1a competition and signal will be in big trouble with their d against powerhouse 4a. signal running game did not beat sp it was the passing game by there qb he is a good player and there receivers looked like they had stickem on there hands

Got to throw in that "lowly" comment. Some 1A competition is not up to par, but in the playoffs there are not any patsys.

Who again is your team?

Not as much a we do.rolleyes.gif

SP's defense is good enough to slow MOST 1a and 2a teams, and I doubt anybody in 1a can slow SP's offense this year. Boyd game in two weeks will be a good gauge, but I think the Pirates will be ready for November AND December.thumb[1].gif

Agree with you there troll....the Pirates offense is clicking. The defense is still a work in progress but I saw progress tonight even though we gave up alot of yardage. Ya'll have a great quarterback that to me made the difference tonight. He made some great throws when the Pirate defense had 3rd and long or 4th and long.

545480_10150969085302884_1310921432_n.jpg

Lets break this down: You said "in my opinion sp has a great o signal does not" Both teams O is pretty dang good. You said "sp d will be ok against there lowly 1a competition and signal will be in big trouble with their d against powerhouse 4a" This is a pretty true statement, I would have omitted the word lowly. You said "signal running game did not beat sp it was the passing game by there qb he is a good player and there receivers looked like they had stickem on there hands" Let me tell you this, when you have greater depth than your foe for the night, the 5 yards and a cloud of dust early opens up the long passes later. But you are correct our rock slinger is as good as they come. Our recievers are getting better every week too. (well some of them are) And by the way, I will take the 5 yards and cloud of dust anytime, I love grinding it out between the tackles. And if you get good at that, you can sling the rock too.

Edited by realmenwearred

Pound for pound South Pittsburg is the better team. I don't think anyone will disagree. Pirates will go deeper in 1A playoffs than Eagles will in theirs. Don't let the score fool you - Pirate defense is improving, but we greatly miss Stephon, and now we might be missing Payne. That #26 refrigerator for Signal is a hoss. He definitely wore on the D-line, but we hung in there with him. And considering 90% of our guys were on the field all night that's saying a lot. Phillips is the real deal. Definitely Div. 1 material. Can drop 'em in like a smart bomb. Pirates can use the off week vs Whitwell, then the forfeit week after that to get healed up. I actually feel sorry for that Boyd bunch. We're gonna go through them like a hot knife through butter. Go Pirates!!

Pound for pound South Pittsburg is the better team. I don't think anyone will disagree. Pirates will go deeper in 1A playoffs than Eagles will in theirs. Don't let the score fool you - Pirate defense is improving, but we greatly miss Stephon, and now we might be missing Payne. That #26 refrigerator for Signal is a hoss. He definitely wore on the D-line, but we hung in there with him. And considering 90% of our guys were on the field all night that's saying a lot. Phillips is the real deal. Definitely Div. 1 material. Can drop 'em in like a smart bomb. Pirates can use the off week vs Whitwell, then the forfeit week after that to get healed up. I actually feel sorry for that Boyd bunch. We're gonna go through them like a hot knife through butter. Go Pirates!!

Your offense might got through us, but a baby could crawl past your D.