Webb @ Catholic - The Battle of the Bluff

Vols12345678

I think you need some real sources, like the administration, the athletic director and the Bishop. Where you are getting your "facts"? There are always whiney and unhappy people in every program-and you are one of those people I guess. There may be a few people that feel the way you do, but it is not the majority, You need to surround yourself with more positive people. Go back and read your posts-you do dog the program, the school and the players by your negative and unproductive comments. We are a Catholic school and we are not going to change the direction of our programs because a few parents are unhappy. You are not a supporter of Catholic or Catholic schools-if you were you would not be posting negative comments anonomously. If you truly want things to change-that is not the way to go about it. It is very immature and passive aggressive and it at the end of the day you are still miserable and unhappy. Our program has not lost any respect-don't know what who you are hearing that from. But, it is simply not true. Here is a quote that I think you should print and keep somewhere you can see it everyday form Charles Swindoll about ATTITUDE: "The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attititude, to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you..we are in charge of our Attitudes." Uglycoaching take a lesson from the players, coaches and true supporters of Catholic and Catholic football and you quit whining and making excuses. Change your attitude.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uglycoahing you need to find some new sources, maybe you are talking to parents in the visitor's section!...who cares if this kid or that kid threatens to not come to Catholic-oh well, there will be another great kid who does with great parents that want their son to have a Catholic education. We want the kids who WANT to be at Catholic-and I think this 8th grade team is a special group of players who have played together for quite some time. The majority will come to Catholic next year by the way and will not require special deals. You have too much free time on your hands it sounds like to me.

Poor Poor Patrice

I would not throw stones when one lives in a glass house.

I'm certainly not making it about the entire school. I've heard and been involved in some of the same conversations. My point is we've got what we've got right now. The true problem is that we were misclassified at the start of the multiplier system. We were only supposed to be moved up one classification and got moved up two. Short of Alcoa, could any one else in the area truly be competitive on a consistent basis playing schools with over a thousand more kids? I don't know that Coach Pemberton (and I'm a big fan) could have maintained long term success in this district.you've got to have the players bottom line.

Yes, other teams in the area can and do compete. In fact, Webb with a relatively similar enrollment to Catholic in grades 9-12 recently competed well against Alcoa (L 14-7 in 2012). CAK with a stated 9-12 enrollment of 455 beat Alcoa last year. Grace Christian with a lower 9-12 enrollment beat CAK last year & gave them a good game this year.

You beat Central which has stated enrollment of 1,100. You beat Cleveland with a stated enrollment of 1,200. Is it only the games in which Catholic loses to a school with an enrollment in excess of 1,000 that creates the perception of a misclassification?

Catholic will diminish opportunities to acquire and develop talent from a deeper pool if the feeder program is moving towards a Catholics’ only participation dictate. Should the high school follows suit, the same is true. More numbers equates to a deeper talent pool. You’re reducing the numbers, and playing five card draw with four cards.

Would Pemberton have maintained the level of success & respect that Catholic earned prior to the reclassification? I don’t know. Do you think Meske is pleased he didn’t have to find out? Do you think Courtney & Taylor wanted to see if Pemberton could chase them down like he did Buck Coatney & Stanton Stevens, at Fulton & AE?

Do you think Quarles really wanted to deal with Pemberton’s 300lb OL & DL, Wing T, waggle, trap-option, belly, counter, ball control, and clock eating offense? You know, the system that allowed for more two way players because playing both ways with the majority of snaps on offense versus defense does not cause the same level of fatigue? I’m not saying Catholic would have beaten Maryville consistently, but by now no one would have looked at the schedule, and penciled in a loss like they do today.

Yes, other teams in the area can and do compete. In fact, Webb with a relatively similar enrollment to Catholic in grades 9-12 recently competed well against Alcoa (L 14-7 in 2012). CAK with a stated 9-12 enrollment of 455 beat Alcoa last year. Grace Christian with a lower 9-12 enrollment beat CAK last year & gave them a good game this year.

You beat Central which has stated enrollment of 1,100. You beat Cleveland with a stated enrollment of 1,200. Is it only the games in which Catholic loses to a school with an enrollment in excess of 1,000 that creates the perception of a misclassification?

Catholic will diminish opportunities to acquire and develop talent from a deeper pool if the feeder program is moving towards a Catholics’ only participation dictate. Should the high school follows suit, the same is true. More numbers equates to a deeper talent pool. You’re reducing the numbers, and playing five card draw with four cards.

Would Pemberton have maintained the level of success & respect that Catholic earned prior to the reclassification? I don’t know. Do you think Meske is pleased he didn’t have to find out? Do you think Courtney & Taylor wanted to see if Pemberton could chase them down like he did Buck Coatney & Stanton Stevens, at Fulton & AE?

Do you think Quarles really wanted to deal with Pemberton’s 300lb OL & DL, Wing T, waggle, trap-option, belly, counter, ball control, and clock eating offense? You know, the system that allowed for more two way players because playing both ways with the majority of snaps on offense versus defense does not cause the same level of fatigue? I’m not saying Catholic would have beaten Maryville consistently, but by now no one would have looked at the schedule, and penciled in a loss like they do today.

I agree with many of the points you are making. My biggest difference comes where you think that Grace, CAK and Webb play much larger schools. There have been some great games between those three but they are competing with schools roughly their same size. You point out that CAK beat Alcoa... well they are close to the same size. Per the new TSSAA enrollment figures, 4 of the schools in Catholic's district have 1,000 more kids than they do. There is no perception of misclassification, we were moved up two classifications when we should have only been moved up one. Agree 100% with the diminishing numbers....the smaller the pool, the lesser the potential players. Also, Pemeberton's teams were rarely blown out with his ball control offense. Sure miss all those 300 lbers!

Catholic was moved up one regular season class. I don't think the playoff classification matters when moved up due to the multiplier (Goodpasture, CPA are other examples). There might have been cases where a team would have moved up two classes without that rule in the five-class football system but I don't think the numbers allow for it now.

Edited by Indian

If you are just looking at the numbers.

Webb 453

Catholic 695

Farragutt 1,728 .

Maryville 1,445

West 1,244

LC. 1,242

Knox Central 1,117

Cleveland 1,357

We lose to the smallest school for the past four years, so if numbers are the factor here then I guess Webb should be moved up and get out of the private league, the number argument is a matter of making excuses, forget the wins and losses look at the numbers and compare and if we can say our program is going in the right direction then fine but, I think most everyone see's we have taken a few steps back regardless of schedule or teams we play. Yes those schools are bigger, doesn't mean they are better, all I am saying is let’s get our respect back and if that means a new coaching direction then so be it, if that means that we go to private that's fine as well but we haven't been able to beat their elite either so what makes us think it’s just the division that we play. No doubt we are out manned but as I have posted there was a day that we just played without excuses.

Catholic was moved up one regular season class. I don't think the playoff classification matters when moved up due to the multiplier (Goodpasture, CPA are other examples). There might have been cases where a team would have moved up two classes without that rule in the five-class football system but I don't think the numbers allow for it now.

I may have been wrong on this, and one playoff class may be the limit. I hope they clarify this.

As much as it pains me to say this uglycoaching and wily1 make really valid points on certain issues. Something does seem to be missing from our program. As my son says its the swag. Granted the talent at Catholic isn't where it was when Coach P was there.. Those teams just knew they would win the big games, now it seems as if the atmosphere is can we survive and compete. Depth, size, and talent make all the difference. I'm forever the optimist and I hope the Irish regroup and finish the season strong. Personally, I'd rather we stay where we are. I enjoy us playing with the big boys. As far as the 80% youth league rule, I heard it was put in place due to a running back (I won't use his name) playing for 8th grade team at CYF, his father giving the perception that he would come to catholic then goes to our rival school. I know that a few youth programs limit the kids on their 8th grade teams as well if they don't attend the big school. Why develop a kid for another school to reap the benefits? Good luck Irish, finish strong!

Edited by QSouth89

The point about having 100 kids is not just the numbers for Friday nights its also about developing players for the seasons to come, you also make a great point, just because you have 100 kids doen't mean they will play but, its allot better to have 100 to choose from then 60, either way our program just needs to get back to having a respect level that players are looking at coming to our school rather than somewhere else when looking at private schools.

Uglycoaching: Once again, you miss the point. We are not a private school, we are a Catholic school. FACTS-you need to have them-it really helps.

Poor Poor Patrice

I would not throw stones when one lives in a glass house.

What????? Not sure you understand the quote. Sounds good, but the context is not there. Try again. You might want to stick to quotes like, "Go ahead, make my day" or "win one for the gipper" or "I'll be back".

let’s see give money send my kids here and support our youth, it seems to me that you guys are missing the point if you want to make things better then stop trying to make it seem as if this is about the entire Catholic school, here is a clue I don’t, as many support the direction of the football program, I have merely said we have lost respect in regards to our program and yes there is allot of people walking around saying the same things I have said on this forum. GET THIS IRISHBALL AND WHOEVER ELSE WANTS TO REPLY, Catholic is a great school and we do have some great things happening but, when it comes to our football program we have taken a direction that doesn't fit what we expect of our sports programs. So get over yourself and deal with the issue rather than trying to make it about the whole school, this forum is about football and my post have been about getting us back to the respect level we once had AND THAT IS IT.

Your posts have nothing to do with football, that is the irony. What direction are you talking about and what respect level? #1 Awesome new turf field, #2 new sound system, #3 Top 50 Catholic high school in Nation out of 1250/second time in 8 years, #4 new field house and weight room, #5 90% of Catholic graduates go to a 4 year college, #6 enrollment for Catholic is at capacity for our facilities.

Yea, I guess you are right-not much to respect here.

Knoxville Catholic has an institutional commitment to providing an integrated and faithful Catholic education across all disciplines and in all areas of student activities.

Your posts have nothing to do with football, that is the irony. What direction are you talking about and what respect level? #1 Awesome new turf field, #2 new sound system, #3 Top 50 Catholic high school in Nation out of 1250/second time in 8 years, #4 new field house and weight room, #5 90% of Catholic graduates go to a 4 year college, #6 enrollment for Catholic is at capacity for our facilities.

Yea, I guess you are right-not much to respect here.

Knoxville Catholic has an institutional commitment to providing an integrated and faithful Catholic education across all disciplines and in all areas of student activities.

It's obvious that your a Meadows fan and not a Catholic fan . You want to even mention respect ... what a joke , your team looked completely out of it not only this year , but last year too , then you bring about 50 fans to play against Maryville ... yet you don't think anything is wrong at all ??