2012-13 TNAAU Schedule

jcddmoon

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a tentative schedule. i would expect a few additions or changes before the season gets here

2012/ 2013 AAU WRESTLING SCHEDULE DECEMBER 1 - WILLIAMSON CO BEGINNERS TOURNAMENT DECEMBER 8 - CLARKSVILLE - OPEN DECEMBER 8 - HOUSTON ??? DECEMBER 15 - MTGC DECEMBER 22 - JANUARY 5 - REGULATORS (INDEPENDENCE HS) JANUARY 12 - WILLIAMSON CO ( CENTENNIEL) JANUARY 19 - CLARKSVILLE JANUARY 19 - TOP 100 PIGEON FORGE

JANUARY 26 - WILDCATS TOURNAMENT -DEVELOPMENTAL

JANUARY 26 - TOP 100 ARLINGTON FEBRUARY 2 - FEBRUARY 9 - LEBANON FEBRUARY 23 - TOP 100 KNOXVILLE FEBRUARY 23 - MIDDLE SCHOOL ONLY @HAWKINS OR ELLIS MIDDLE SCHOOL IN HENDERSONVILLE MARCH 2 - REGION 5 -@ DICKSON CO HS MARCH2 - REGION 4 -@ BEECH HS MARCH 9 - STATE MARCH 10 - ELEMENTARY AND MIDDLE SCHOOL DUALS MARCH 16 OR 23 - SPRING YOUTH NATIONALS APRIL 12-14 ELEMENTARY AND MS NATIONAL DUALS

I hate how the seasons have to overlap every year. With AAU starting in December, every middle school wrestler misses half of the AAU tournaments. Middle school season usually does not end until sometime in January. It would be nice to get a full season of both each year.

We would love for that to happen but the problem is there are too many middle school leagues in Tennessee. It would be impossible to accommodate all of them. The Hamilton County league doesn't even start until mid January and gets over the week before our Aau regionals so all of those kids miss most of the Aau tournaments except for the early ones. We feel its better to offer tournaments the entire time from Dec until March so that everyone has an opportunity to compete at some point. A lot of middle schools wrestle their season through the Aau. This way they can compete in many more tournaments and have the freedom to wrestle whenever and wherever they want.

We would love for that to happen but the problem is there are too many middle school leagues in Tennessee. It would be impossible to accommodate all of them. The Hamilton County league doesn't even start until mid January and gets over the week before our Aau regionals so all of those kids miss most of the Aau tournaments except for the early ones. We feel its better to offer tournaments the entire time from Dec until March so that everyone has an opportunity to compete at some point. A lot of middle schools wrestle their season through the Aau. This way they can compete in many more tournaments and have the freedom to wrestle whenever and wherever they want.

That makes sense, Coach. I did not even know there were middle school leagues that went as late as March. I know the younger kids need tournaments as well, since they can't compete on middle school teams. It would be nice to have all the middle schools under the same league, and have a big state duals at the end of it. Something kind of like how high school does it.

Also, are the Middle School Duals after state going to be the same as the elementary duals were last year? The elementary duals were really fun, and I liked how they were used to pick Team Tennessee.

That makes sense, Coach. I did not even know there were middle school leagues that went as late as March. I know the younger kids need tournaments as well, since they can't compete on middle school teams. It would be nice to have all the middle schools under the same league, and have a big state duals at the end of it. Something kind of like how high school does it.

Also, are the Middle School Duals after state going to be the same as the elementary duals were last year? The elementary duals were really fun, and I liked how they were used to pick Team Tennessee.

Yes, it would be nice and also help to make our state better if there was one unified middle school league. In some areas we actually go backwards with middle school wrestling due to restrictions placed upon the wrestlers and teams by their leagues. These kids now wrestling at the youth level have opportunities to wrestle in 7-8 open tournaments, 4 top 100 tournaments with the best kids in the state and then a regional and a true state championship. They are wrestling in 40+ matches a season and more if they chose to wrestle in national level tournaments and duals. Then these same kids get into middle school and now have a 6 week season and 2 tournaments and get 12-14 matches if they are lucky.

To answer your second question, yes, we are having a state duals the day after the individual state tournament for the middle school age group as well this year. Its been proposed to also have a duals tournament the next day after every top 100 tournament at the same location. This will be club teams and not all star teams is my understanding.

How is Team TN determined?

Last year the elementary team was decided by which wrestlers had the best record in the AAU State Elementary Duals. The State Elementary Duals were held the day after the AAU state individual championships. Each Region chose an Elementary dual team to face off against the other regions. The individual wrestlers with the best records were on Elementary team 1. In actuality there were some wrestlers who were state champions the day before who got beat during the duals and did not represent on team one. I'm not sure how the elementary team 2 and the TM TN Middle School team was selected. Maybe someone else can help out with that question.

Yes, it would be nice and also help to make our state better if there was one unified middle school league. In some areas we actually go backwards with middle school wrestling due to restrictions placed upon the wrestlers and teams by their leagues. These kids now wrestling at the youth level have opportunities to wrestle in 7-8 open tournaments, 4 top 100 tournaments with the best kids in the state and then a regional and a true state championship. They are wrestling in 40+ matches a season and more if they chose to wrestle in national level tournaments and duals. Then these same kids get into middle school and now have a 6 week season and 2 tournaments and get 12-14 matches if they are lucky.

To answer your second question, yes, we are having a state duals the day after the individual state tournament for the middle school age group as well this year. Its been proposed to also have a duals tournament the next day after every top 100 tournament at the same location. This will be club teams and not all star teams is my understanding.

I like the idea of doing duals the day after the top 100 tournaments. I am all for more matches.