CAK @ Scott

FootballDad

CAK travels to Scott Co. Most likely the last game they will play before J.Smith returns since we have an Open Date next week. No mysteries that I'm aware of about this game, just started this thread because I thought it was odd to not at least have something on the "T" about it. CAK has been potent on offense even in the absence of their biggest play maker, and struggled mightily on defense against most everyone. Scott Co. is down and will need a lot of help for them to have any chance of keeping the game close in the second half. Any thoughts?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CAK travels to Scott Co. Most likely the last game they will play before J.Smith returns since we have an Open Date next week. No mysteries that I'm aware of about this game, just started this thread because I thought it was odd to not at least have something on the "T" about it. CAK has been potent on offense even in the absence of their biggest play maker, and struggled mightily on defense against most everyone. Scott Co. is down and will need a lot of help for them to have any chance of keeping the game close in the second half. Any thoughts?

Dad, with all the publicity surrounding High and Howell, a lot of people are confused on why they have not received any D1 offers. Why do you think neither have received major offers?

I would love to see the CAK defense pitch a shut out, but I wouldn't read too much into it either way. The real question for CAK is can they make improvement as a unit as compared to themselves in previous weeks. They will need to improve to finish out the rest of the regular season (Kingston, LaVergne, Alcoa) strongly and have momentum going into the playoffs.

I think many CAK fans have realized that shootouts are a part of this years' team. While I enjoy style points as much as anyone else, the bottom line is that the Warriors have scored more points than their opponents to date, and are 6-0. Hopefully they go into the open date 7-0, and it will certainly help to have a week to help heal some dinged up players. Of course, the return of J. Smith will have a major impact on offense, defense, and special teams. It is going to be interesting to see how focused the CAK players are Friday night.

I would be very surprised if CAK didn't score a lot of points.

Dad, with all the publicity surrounding High and Howell, a lot of people are confused on why they have not received any D1 offers. Why do you think neither have received major offers?

That is an excellent question concerning 2 extremely talented young men. Not only talented, but good kids as well. Unfortunately for them there is a template that you must fit in most cases to get serious major college offers and the painful truth is that these 2 guys don't fit it. For High, it is his height. He is 5'11 pushing 6' and weighs around 175 lbs. The template calls for 6'2" on the low end and preferably 6'4" + for major offers to occur. Plus more weight to help absorb the beating QB's are going to take at that level. High is one of the most accurate passers I've seen and coming through the system at CAK I assure you he already understands college & pro terminology and he knows how to read & dissect a defense. You would be preaching to the choir here if you wanted to throw out a few examples of players that didn't fit the template but still made it, most notably Drew Breeze, but that is the rare exception these days. For Howell, he has the body, the skill, the attitude and the knowledge, but he doesn't have the speed. He is a 4.8 guy at best and that simply isn't fast enough to play wide receiver at a major university. Some think he could be beefed up and be a great receiving tight end, but everyone has looked at him as a receiver. He rarely drops passes, makes "Top 10" type of catches, always falls forward, is physical and hard to jam, precise route runner, and knows college level terminology. Both of these guys will get a chance to play in college IMHO, but most probably at the D2 level unless something unexpected happens.

My thoughts, based on season results so far, are that Scott doesn't have much chance in this game. The question is when will the mercy rule take effect and what will CAK do after it happens. Will they remove their QB? Go strictly to run game? Or will they just use this game to pad statistics?

Tailsman, your post reads to me like you think CAK runs up the score and stats on hapless opponents. Assuming that I have misinterpreted the underlying sentiment of your questions, then please accept my sincere apology now and forget the rest of this post. But if that is actually what you are inferring, then I couldn't disagree with you more. To answer the first question, I doubt the mercy rule will take affect against Scott because we have not been able to keep our opponents from scoring enough points to maintain the 35 pt. separation required for the rule to be invoked. The 2nd question: C.Bradley would love to be able to remove his QB to the safety of the sidelines along with his other playmakers as quickly as possible. He has not had that luxury this year due to the rapid rate our opponents have been scoring. In all previous years he has been able to do that. You don't want to sit down your starters, have an opponent real off several quick scores and now have to throw the starters back in change momentum and to save the day. Doing so could jeopardize a victory for the entire team. The 3rd question: our passing game is our running game basically, so throwing flats, check downs and quick screens should be seen as a running game. I would be shocked to see him throw it down the field in those circumstances. But most likely, yes, you would see a series of simple hand offs and as many knees as the downs would allow us to take to run out the clock. And the final question: padding stats is not in R.Bradley's repertoire. Until this year, our JV played about as much in the second half as any of our starters unless we were facing equally talented teams. The past several seasons our opponents scores came late against our subs and Rusty didn't care at all. This year the JV's have seen the field maybe one or two series all season. And speaking of JV's, historically most of our's are freshmen since we don't have a freshman team. I've witnessed those guys get physically abused by the varsity of other teams that we were trying to "take it easy on" but they kept their #1's in against our freshmen just to have a little success. The stats that CAK players have are not padded, they are earned. Granted, they are gaudy stats, but in an offense like CAK runs, with the sophistication of the passing game, with the great protection from a very well coached offensive line and with the skill set possessed by the QB & receivers, the stats are going to look incredible. These stats could be even more gaudy if Coach Bradley wanted. So no, they will not pad stats, but yes, they will need to score a lot of points to win, which means the receivers, QB and possibly the RB will have a lot of stats.

Nothing untoward was intended. I know nothing about CAK and so asked the questions. I have known, as you may have also, coaches who would ingratiate themselves with parents by leaving the stars in after the outcome has been decided. I have seen this in a few high schools, but more in junior high. Up here on the plateau I get to read the scores of both Kentucky and Tennessee high schools. When I see numbers in the sixties and seventies I wonder what exactlly happened. Here's another question from someone who doesn't know all that much about football. - After the mercy rule comes into effect, would the winning coach not play the first team defense, but play the second team on offense? Or do many of them do that already?

Nothing untoward was intended. I know nothing about CAK and so asked the questions. I have known, as you may have also, coaches who would ingratiate themselves with parents by leaving the stars in after the outcome has been decided. I have seen this in a few high schools, but more in junior high. Up here on the plateau I get to read the scores of both Kentucky and Tennessee high schools. When I see numbers in the sixties and seventies I wonder what exactlly happened. Here's another question from someone who doesn't know all that much about football. - After the mercy rule comes into effect, would the winning coach not play the first team defense, but play the second team on offense? Or do many of them do that already?

Thanks for the clarification. Since you aren't familiar with CAK, in a nutshell, we are a private high school with about 450 students. We have had a football team for 10 years now. We don't offer athletic scholarships. We throw the football 90% of the time, honestly, no exaggeration. Its out of spread formations, but we throw the ball downfield, midfield, all over the field, not just the short stuff. Hard to remember our RB's name & number, he's good, but rarely sees the ball. This year our offense has 9 starting Seniors, 2 are committed to UT and 2 others are big time players but will end up at D2 schools due to size and speed. We score a lot of points in a short amount of time. In recent years past our defense has been good, not great, but competitively capable of going toe to toe with most everyone we face, although Alcoa has bruised us up over the years. This year, different story on defense. Giving up chunks of yardage and lots of points. Thus, the offense has to stay in the game which leads to some very gaudy stats. Although, I must say that last year, even with a fairly good defense and the JV's playing alot, our offense still had some gaudy numbers.