the no tape rule still going on?

newcoach215

To the best of my knowledge it is still in the national federation rule book and Tennessee is one of the few states instructed to enforce the rule. No one knows why the national federation has this rule because if it was a product liability issue the NCAA & other states would not allow tape on the headgear.

Edited by cbg

Does this rule affect other organizations as well such as USA Wrestling, AAU, or NUWAY?

Depends on where you are, state, orgnaization, etc. The safest thing to do would be just to remove the tape. I know we ran into it last year at a few events out of state on the youth level.

The last season or two Legrand couldn't make it through a match without a knee brace problem or head gear. Between coach Bray and his suggestions for the knee, and a good uncle now at Clarksville, we got some good solutions to get him through region & 4-5 matches at state with no delays or distractions.

Still only about $20 and this simple two strap option has proven consistent for 35+ years.. check out

http://www.suplay.com/MatrixGroup-4132

Why does the national federation have the NO TAPE rule? It's not product liability or other states & the NCAA would not allow tape. It's not a sanitation issue or they would not allow tape on the wrestling shoes. IMO, by not allowing tape it prolongs matches because the velcro becomes disconnected in many matches and on some wrestlers the headgear does not fit properly without the aid of tape. No one from the national federation has been able to give me a clear definition as to why the NO TAPE rule was put in place.

Edited by cbg