the no tape rule still going on?

newcoach215

Why does the national federation have the NO TAPE rule? It's not product liability or other states & the NCAA would not allow tape. It's not a sanitation issue or they would not allow tape on the wrestling shoes. IMO, by not allowing tape it prolongs matches because the velcro becomes disconnected in many matches and on some wrestlers the headgear does not fit properly without the aid of tape. No one from the national federation has been able to give me a clear definition as to why the NO TAPE rule was put in place.

They will not guarantee the headgear (in case you get sued) because it is not being used as the manufacturer intended. Also, the athletic tape is a great place for MRSA and Herpes G. to hide and grow.

And, I would not bring up the tape issue on shoes or we may be looking at that next (lol).

Edited by TDArtist

They will not guarantee the headgear (in case you get sued) because it is not being used as the manufacturer intended. Also, the athletic tape is a great place for MRSA and Herpes G. to hide and grow.

And, I would not bring up the tape issue on shoes or we may be looking at that next (lol).

You are absolutely right on the shoe portion. Remember that most new shoe designs feature an integrated lace cover and that would be the arguement for eliminating tape on the shoes.

You are absolutely right on the shoe portion. Remember that most new shoe designs feature an integrated lace cover and that would be the arguement for eliminating tape on the shoes.

If it were a guarantee or product liability issue other states and the NCAA would not disreguard the no tape on the headgear issue. That is a rumor that has been told but when I spoke with the national federation they could not give me a clear definition as to why the rule is in place.

Those were the explanations given at the TSSAA rules meeting. The product liability and higher probability of headgear picking up/spreading fungus. Both are enough of a reason for me.

Agreed!

Here is a fact: You go into the wrestling room on a daily basis. You take home all your clothes and wash them(if not youre crazy) daily. You clean your mats daily. All these are to keep down infections, and disease. The one thing that was not being cleaned or changed on a daily basis is the Headgear. With tape and other cloth around your headgear.. your storing bacteria. I never thought about it like this(being around wrestling for over 15 years) and being one of these guys that had tape all over the head gear in high school, i first thought why as well? But it makes since. Evaluate your room, most guys workout with multiple layers on(ls shirts, sweats, etc) but the face and head are always exposed and the constant is the headgear. Please Clean these on a regular basis and it will cut down on this breakouts. You get small cuts or abrasions on your face. Perfect place for entry of one of this disease. Buy a box of small alcohol wipes or ask the trainer for some. Wipe down daily or at least weekly. Im OCD about cleanliness so i did it daily and made sure i expressed to the kids to always shower well and clean their clothes daily. Dont pile them up for momma to do. Just another way we can teach our kids to be responsible. Lastly, Wrestling Shoes... Wash them at least once a week! Think about how many places your travel during the season and different mats you are on....

JUST MY OPINION...