Farragut vs Anderson County

K2ruth

Very good points K2ruth. Im not so sure about best coaching at Catholic. Im not saying you are incorrect as I have not seen them play this year. I am curious how many club players they have? I would assume since they are private, they would have several, but i do not know. That is one thing that amazes me with AC is how they can be as good as they are with very few if any club players. That is done with great coaching.

To me, the only way to tell is have all the "good" teams play each other in a tournament. BUT, all club players sit on the bench and coaches are only allowed to play non club players. I truly believe that AC would wipe the floor with EVERYONE.

Only my observations.

Good luck to all in their Districts!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Mike. I think he is a great coach, and would love him to coach my daughter. In Knoxville I think Catholic and Webb have benefited the most from coaching.

AC is hard for me. I don't really like their coaching staff. When I first got here all I heard about East Tenn volleyball was Anderson County. When I watched them they seemed to feed off of emotion. We tried to reach out to them to build a club relationship and were told, rather bluntly, that most of their parents couldn't pay the cost of club, especially if it involved some of our less experienced coaches.

Then, as I started watching what they do year after year I began to respect them. They use a college approach. They have a defined system, and watching how they teach players who have never played and improve from summer to fall is a tribute to the work they put in. What they lack in personality they more than make up for in skill. The colleges will take an AC every time. I can honestly say they are the best staff in high school volleyball.

Also, their players love them. The ones that we have had are respectful, well trained, and just neat kids. They speak highly of the whole staff.

The older officials will tell you the intensity in a match is hard to control. Yellow cards just seem to make them more aggressive, and many officials just tend to zone them out, but that is sports.

I agree with your assessment, but I still wish they would ease up. I want to cheer for them but I end up wanting them to lose like I want the Yankees to lose.

Love the AC shout out. I played college and pro ball and I was amazed at the AC coaching staff.

As an athlete I loved the intensity, the traditions and the high concept instruction. It is big time, and better than most division 1 schools.

If they were at a Brentwood or Farragut it would be lights out.

More important they taught our daughter to be a responsible person. Do they yell at refs, sure. They never yelled at my daughter. They loved her, built her up, and taught her.

Good post Club Only.

Hopi, congrats on the wedding and the hall of fame!

Thats a good point about yelling at the refs. I never thought of that but we have the same problem. The girls are yelled at all the time, and even belittled some of the time, but the refs are perfect and good friends (because the refs know more about the game than the coach and the coach would look dumb).

I agree that if you took the coaching model from AC and put it somewhere like Farragut, Hardin Valley, etc., they would run over everyone (as long as the girls are able to be coached). But I have much respect for the girls at AC. They sometimes dont have the talent or experience of some of the club players, but they play HARD and keep positive attitudes. That with the coaching is why they are always a team to watch out for.

When we were at ACthe coaches never, in four years, belittled an athlete. Only positive comments. They were stern if the girls weren't playing hard, but they constantly built up their confidence.

They were ok with the refs if they did their job. They were not friends, and they kept them on their toes.

I loved our time at AC. We played club for one year, and were not pleased. Our daughter got a full scholarship to college and it was because of high school.

Club, what school do you follow? Thanks for the kind words.

AC, can't stand them. They are slow. We had them beat and the refs took it away. Oak Ridge will destroy them on a neutral court.

We don't even scout AC, we worry about real teams like Karns and Farragut. Karns will destroy AC during district.

After coming back a re-reading my last post, I sounded like I was talking about AC's coaches belittling (sp?) thier players. That is not what I was talking about. I am talking about teams other than AC. AC's coaches know how to get the most from their players and treat them the way they should be treated. I was refering to other schools that do not know how to do that and therefore do not get the most from the players.

Orcat...you have lost your mind. Oak Ridge will NEVER beat AC this year or in the near future. I will agree that you have a good coach. I wont say she is the best in the state, but a good coach. It is funny that you blame the refs for losing to AC. Then talk about "real" teams like Karns and Farragut. Just wait until regionals and lets see if Oak Ridge, Karns, or Farragut (maybe) make it through unscaved. Its going to be more like AC, Bearden, maybe Hardin Valley.

It is fun to "trash" talk and keep the season interesting, but nothing matters until the fat lady is clearing her throat and taking stage.

Announcements